Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Truth About Homeschooling - What Do You Think?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just put this article together and I would really love to get some input in the comments.  It's titled the truth about home schooling and gives facts to combat some of those mis-conceptions I seem to hear so often...

http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/p/about-home-schooling.html

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Replies (31-35):
JATomlinson
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 6:49 PM

I shoot with a Canon SX40 HS (High end point and shoot) and a Pentax K30 depending on what I'm doing.  Here's my portfolio on Facebook of my photos: https://www.facebook.com/JATomlinsonPhotography

Countess79
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 7:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I loved it!

JATomlinson
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Thanks!

JATomlinson
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 1:31 AM

I decided to add a section to my homeschool blog with photography tutorials.  Thought you might be interested :)

Going to try to upload a new tut every Monday.  Here was todays: http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/2013/12/photography-monday-rule-of-thirds.html

Quoting TidewaterClan: Lol, what gets into folks? :)

20' is chilly when you need your fingers!

I would absolutely love to see your pictures! I'll bet they're gorgeous. I have a Cannon Rebel T2i. I'm VERY amateur at the photography, but getting the hang of changing the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. so I can capture pictures without using the flash. I finally found out about the White Balance too, so everything doesn't look like sepia. :)

We're actually at Disney World - just finished driving in yesterday. I'll toss a picture on here in a second that I took last night if that's ok.

Quoting JATomlinson:

It's just hard to convince people to go out when it's 14 degrees Farenheight.  I can get people out in 30 degree weather, but anything less than that and they're all miserable and don't want to smile :)  I went out the other day and it felt like it was about 20 and my hands felt like they were going to fall off after 2 minutes of photos.  I have gloves but they're difficult to hold the camera with.  If you're interested in seeing any of my photos let me know :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thank you for the links! I have t created a blog yet but I have loads of pictures. I was thinking of getting one rolling for fun, and so I can show family how much we're accomplishing.

I appreciate all of that wonderful information.

Good luck with your business! It looks & sounds like you really know what you're doing. No idea why people don't enjoy the photography in the winter! Some of our best outdoor pictures include icicles. :)

Quoting JATomlinson:

I've been blogging for a long time.  I can usually get a new blog up and running 100% in under 2 days.

Here are some of my others (not trying to be spammy here admin):

CBSB (Christian Bible Study Blog)

Hot Shot Blogger <-- Teaches people how to blog

Photoshop Helps <-- Teaches people how to use Photoshop

JWCC (Jesus Wore Cotton Co) <-- Christian Apparel, skateboards, posters, books, etc...

I should make a photography one too, but I haven't had the time.  I had so many pictures of what we'd been doing for home school, so I knew I'd be able to get that blog up and running fast.  I used to make blogs for people for a small fee so all they had to worry about was just writing the posts, but business wasn't good.  Now I manage people's social media accounts (twitter, facebook, google plus, etc).  Gotta make some kind of money as a stay at home mom and my freelance photography buisness gets pretty slow in winter when it's 14 degrees outside :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

No kidding? It looks very professional! I wouldn't have guessed that!

Quoting JATomlinson:

Thanks.  I'll be building on it.  I just started it two days ago.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It looks like your site would be a great place for that. You have some great information on there.

Quoting JATomlinson:

Thanks, I'm trying to grow it and get some comments on the pages there.  Eventually in the future I'd like it to become a comunity.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a nice blog. I like all the references to back up your statements too.

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Thank you!  I finally had a chance to read this (the pc screen is easier than my phone!).  Great information in there.  I love catching pictures that aren't just the "center/smile" type.  You've got some great tips in there.  I'll look for the book you recommended on Amazon.

Quoting JATomlinson:

I decided to add a section to my homeschool blog with photography tutorials.  Thought you might be interested :)

Going to try to upload a new tut every Monday.  Here was todays: http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/2013/12/photography-monday-rule-of-thirds.html

Quoting TidewaterClan: Lol, what gets into folks? :)

20' is chilly when you need your fingers!

I would absolutely love to see your pictures! I'll bet they're gorgeous. I have a Cannon Rebel T2i. I'm VERY amateur at the photography, but getting the hang of changing the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. so I can capture pictures without using the flash. I finally found out about the White Balance too, so everything doesn't look like sepia. :)

We're actually at Disney World - just finished driving in yesterday. I'll toss a picture on here in a second that I took last night if that's ok.

Quoting JATomlinson:

It's just hard to convince people to go out when it's 14 degrees Farenheight.  I can get people out in 30 degree weather, but anything less than that and they're all miserable and don't want to smile :)  I went out the other day and it felt like it was about 20 and my hands felt like they were going to fall off after 2 minutes of photos.  I have gloves but they're difficult to hold the camera with.  If you're interested in seeing any of my photos let me know :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thank you for the links! I have t created a blog yet but I have loads of pictures. I was thinking of getting one rolling for fun, and so I can show family how much we're accomplishing.

I appreciate all of that wonderful information.

Good luck with your business! It looks & sounds like you really know what you're doing. No idea why people don't enjoy the photography in the winter! Some of our best outdoor pictures include icicles. :)

Quoting JATomlinson:

I've been blogging for a long time.  I can usually get a new blog up and running 100% in under 2 days.

Here are some of my others (not trying to be spammy here admin):

CBSB (Christian Bible Study Blog)

Hot Shot Blogger <-- Teaches people how to blog

Photoshop Helps <-- Teaches people how to use Photoshop

JWCC (Jesus Wore Cotton Co) <-- Christian Apparel, skateboards, posters, books, etc...

I should make a photography one too, but I haven't had the time.  I had so many pictures of what we'd been doing for home school, so I knew I'd be able to get that blog up and running fast.  I used to make blogs for people for a small fee so all they had to worry about was just writing the posts, but business wasn't good.  Now I manage people's social media accounts (twitter, facebook, google plus, etc).  Gotta make some kind of money as a stay at home mom and my freelance photography buisness gets pretty slow in winter when it's 14 degrees outside :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

No kidding? It looks very professional! I wouldn't have guessed that!

Quoting JATomlinson:

Thanks.  I'll be building on it.  I just started it two days ago.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It looks like your site would be a great place for that. You have some great information on there.

Quoting JATomlinson:

Thanks, I'm trying to grow it and get some comments on the pages there.  Eventually in the future I'd like it to become a comunity.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a nice blog. I like all the references to back up your statements too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)