Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Truth About Homeschooling - What Do You Think?

Posted by   + Show Post

Just put this article together and I would really love to get some input in the comments.  It's titled the truth about home schooling and gives facts to combat some of those mis-conceptions I seem to hear so often...

http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/p/about-home-schooling.html

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM
Replies (21-30):
JATomlinson
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Hearing about the food in schools is just crazy.  I think most of the food they serve in the cafeteria isn't really nutritious anyway, it's just high calorie high fat high sugar.  I remember when I was in grade school they were serving things like fake mashed potatoes and a grilled cheese sandwhich.  Ok, not that I don't like those things, but where's the real nutrition?  At lest in high school they offered salads along side the pizza and hot dogs and hamburgers.  I read an article once about a school district that voted to take the vending machines out of the high schools because all they sold was candy and junk food and thats all that some of the kids were eating... what did the parents do?  They were outraged, so in protest each day the parents lined up on the other side of the tall metal fence and threw candy bars and bags of chips over the fence along with bottles of soda.  Crazy people.

At the private Christian school I worked at they didn't serve lunch except on Friday's they would bring in pizza for the kids who paid for it.  They sent notices out several times a year telling parents what was allowed in the bagged lunches (it wasn't a small school either), and said no junk food basically, but it didn't stop parents from just giving their pre-schoolers or kindergarteners fruit snacks and soda to eat.  What's worse is often the state inspectors will come through a couple times a year and make the school give kids food.  The school was required to keep the makings for peanut butter and jelly sandwhiches on hand to give to kids who didn't have a nutritious lunch as well as milk for kids that didn't bring healthy drinks.  Well one day the inspector came through, saw that two kids didn't have milk in their lunch (they had water or juice) and forced the staff to give them milk, despite the fact those kids were allergic to milk and they told the inspector that!  The inspector didn't care, she said it was regulation and each child must have milk for lunch even if their parents have packed them a lunch.  Insane.  This is the same inspector lady who told us we have to put BLEACH in the gallon jugs of drinking water we give to the kids to sanitize it!  Of course, we never did put bleach in the water, that's just insane.

JATomlinson
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Thanks.  I'll be building on it.  I just started it two days ago.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It looks like your site would be a great place for that. You have some great information on there.

Quoting JATomlinson:

Thanks, I'm trying to grow it and get some comments on the pages there.  Eventually in the future I'd like it to become a comunity.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a nice blog. I like all the references to back up your statements too.

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:06 PM
No kidding? It looks very professional! I wouldn't have guessed that!

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

It looks like your site would be a great place for that. You have some great information on there.

Quoting JATomlinson:

Thanks, I'm trying to grow it and get some comments on the pages there.  Eventually in the future I'd like it to become a comunity.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

JATomlinson
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been blogging for a long time.  I can usually get a new blog up and running 100% in under 2 days.

Here are some of my others (not trying to be spammy here admin):

CBSB (Christian Bible Study Blog)

Hot Shot Blogger <-- Teaches people how to blog

Photoshop Helps <-- Teaches people how to use Photoshop

JWCC (Jesus Wore Cotton Co) <-- Christian Apparel, skateboards, posters, books, etc...

I should make a photography one too, but I haven't had the time.  I had so many pictures of what we'd been doing for home school, so I knew I'd be able to get that blog up and running fast.  I used to make blogs for people for a small fee so all they had to worry about was just writing the posts, but business wasn't good.  Now I manage people's social media accounts (twitter, facebook, google plus, etc).  Gotta make some kind of money as a stay at home mom and my freelance photography buisness gets pretty slow in winter when it's 14 degrees outside :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 23, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Thank you for the links! I have t created a blog yet but I have loads of pictures. I was thinking of getting one rolling for fun, and so I can show family how much we're accomplishing.

I appreciate all of that wonderful information.

Good luck with your business! It looks & sounds like you really know what you're doing. No idea why people don't enjoy the photography in the winter! Some of our best outdoor pictures include icicles. :)

Quoting JATomlinson:

I've been blogging for a long time.  I can usually get a new blog up and running 100% in under 2 days.

JWCC (Jesus Wore Cotton Co) <-- Christian Apparel, skateboards, posters, books, etc...

I should make a photography one too, but I haven't had the time.  I had so many pictures of what we'd been doing for home school, so I knew I'd be able to get that blog up and running fast.  I used to make blogs for people for a small fee so all they had to worry about was just writing the posts, but business wasn't good.  Now I manage people's social media accounts (twitter, facebook, google plus, etc).  Gotta make some kind of money as a stay at home mom and my freelance photography buisness gets pretty slow in winter when it's 14 degrees outside :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

JATomlinson
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:42 PM
1 mom liked this

It's just hard to convince people to go out when it's 14 degrees Farenheight.  I can get people out in 30 degree weather, but anything less than that and they're all miserable and don't want to smile :)  I went out the other day and it felt like it was about 20 and my hands felt like they were going to fall off after 2 minutes of photos.  I have gloves but they're difficult to hold the camera with.  If you're interested in seeing any of my photos let me know :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thank you for the links! I have t created a blog yet but I have loads of pictures. I was thinking of getting one rolling for fun, and so I can show family how much we're accomplishing.

Good luck with your business! It looks & sounds like you really know what you're doing. No idea why people don't enjoy the photography in the winter! Some of our best outdoor pictures include icicles. :)

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:52 PM
You did a good job putting that article together. You even did a great job setting the tone of the article as well.
JATomlinson
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:59 PM

Thanks.  If you or anyone else has any ideas for articles/crafts/home school resources you'd like to see, I'm all ears :)

Quoting kirbymom:

You did a good job putting that article together. You even did a great job setting the tone of the article as well.

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 24, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Lol, what gets into folks? :)

20' is chilly when you need your fingers!

I would absolutely love to see your pictures! I'll bet they're gorgeous. I have a Cannon Rebel T2i. I'm VERY amateur at the photography, but getting the hang of changing the aperture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. so I can capture pictures without using the flash. I finally found out about the White Balance too, so everything doesn't look like sepia. :)

We're actually at Disney World - just finished driving in yesterday. I'll toss a picture on here in a second that I took last night if that's ok.

Quoting JATomlinson:

It's just hard to convince people to go out when it's 14 degrees Farenheight.  I can get people out in 30 degree weather, but anything less than that and they're all miserable and don't want to smile :)  I went out the other day and it felt like it was about 20 and my hands felt like they were going to fall off after 2 minutes of photos.  I have gloves but they're difficult to hold the camera with.  If you're interested in seeing any of my photos let me know :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting JATomlinson:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

TidewaterClan
by Kate on Nov. 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

This was just taken with the phone, but we're going back on Thursday so I can use the canon & capture a crisper image. I told my girls I needed their noses for a profile. :). I have a starburst filter so I'll see how that looks. It may be too starry though!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)