Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Teen Taken From Parents: Hospital Takes Custody

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
  • 12 Replies

Teen Taken From Parents.  The reason Custody was taken from the parents is that authorities say thy resisted  recommended treatment.  The parents say they never resisted any treatment to help their daughter.  Their contact with their daughter is highly regulated. 

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
That is messed up & the hospital is out of order! I hope her parents have a good lawyer & win their rights back!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I think there must be more to the story. I think the hospital is over reaching but I doubt the parents are innocent as they pretend.

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Is it OK to take your child without a warrant, a trial, a judge....due process?

Quoting mem82:

I think there must be more to the story. I think the hospital is over reaching but I doubt the parents are innocent as they pretend.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I would seek proof that that is really the case before I got angry about it. A child has rights and if a parent is failing the child then there is a reason for the child to be taken. They did go through due process. CPS has a certain amount of power.

I don't know if they over reached, but I do know that this story has more to it. Our media only puts stories out for reactions, not for truth. The parents may be victims or maybe not, the author was too biased for me to form an opinion.

Quoting romacox:

Quoting mem82:

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I had to do a little digging into the story and the more I did, the more bizzare it got. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatoform_disorder

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/20/its-kidnapping-hospital-takes-custody-of-teen-because-her-parents-were-too-active-in-pursuing-her-care/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510404/Justina-Pelletier-trapped-hospital-sends-hidden-notes-parents-origami.html

A judge ordered that the hospital and social services to not speak publically (according to one source). So only the family is doing so. That leaves a biased source.

Supposingly, documents from the hospital were cited. In it, it gives a glimpse of what they were thinking and doing.

The Somatoform (edited to fix) disease that they think she has, means that she has a mental illness that causes her to have symptoms of illness or injury. However, there is NO medical evidence.

The cited report mentions that the hospital saw that the family / child was seeking a lot of medical attention, that the childs behavior regressed when around her parents, and the parents were not cooperative about suggested medical plans. 

It is a interesting case.

I found it interesting that all the comments strongly opposed the decisions made by the hospital, caseworker and judge (without the ability to know their side of the story). 

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Good research celticdragon77.  One of your articles is quite informative.  It states that the child lived a normal life in spite of her medical  diagnosis for which she was being treated by another hospital and physician.  When she came down with the flue, the parents took her to different hospital that disagreed with the first diagnosis. This kicked in a government agency DCF investigation, that decided to take the child from the parents.  The article also says this is not the first incidence in which a child was removed because of a hospital visit.

The authorities are claiming that the parents were too active in pursuing medical care.  But the parents are able to document that everything was sanctioned by a doctor. 

All this goes  in hand  with the data base created for Common Core and The Affordable Health Care Act.  .  It is also too reminiscent of Indian children , children of unwed mothers , and children of single parents who were taken, because authorities decided they were unfit parents. Also do not forget the children who were sterilized    This is why due process must be protected...not just for the parents, but for the children too   Will we ever learn from history, or are we doomed to repeat, and repeat, and repeat it?

Quoting celticdragon77:

I had to do a little digging into the story and the more I did, the more bizzare it got. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somatoform_disorder

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/11/20/its-kidnapping-hospital-takes-custody-of-teen-because-her-parents-were-too-active-in-pursuing-her-care/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2510404/Justina-Pelletier-trapped-hospital-sends-hidden-notes-parents-origami.html

A judge ordered that the hospital and social services to not speak publically (according to one source). So only the family is doing so. That leaves a biased source.

Supposingly, documents from the hospital were cited. In it, it gives a glimpse of what they were thinking and doing.

The mitochondrial disease that they think she has, means that she has a mental illness that causes her to have symptoms of illness or injury. However, there is NO medical evidence.

The cited report mentions that the hospital saw that the family / child was seeking a lot of medical attention, that the childs behavior regressed when around her parents, and the parents were not cooperative about suggested medical plans. 

It is a interesting case.

I found it interesting that all the comments strongly opposed of the decisions made by the hospital, caseworker and judge (without the ability to know their side of the story). 

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:16 PM

What are you meaning specifically by "due process"? Some states now require a court order before removing a child from a home of abuse. However, other states are more arbitrary. 

Quoting romacox:

Quoting mem82:

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Im leaning the same way on this.

Quoting mem82:

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:35 PM

It reminds me of a story in our local news. A girl got sick (vomited) at school and the school office called her dad, who for whatever reason they couldn't reach. They then tried her emergency contact # (the article didn't say who this is) and that person said they'd come and get her, but then they didn't. According to the article, the school then sent the child back to class and called DCS. Which seems pretty strange. And with privacy laws of course the school can't disclose any past concerns they've had with this father/child, but the father is all over the news claiming how terribly he was treated and they shouldn't call protective services just because he didn't answer the phone. But like this article, it sounds like a lot was left out - how long had they been trying to call him, had they had issues with him in the past, how severe was her illness, etc. We have to be careful not to just believe every story on the surface because often, things are either left out, or extraneous information is thrown in, to imply things that aren't true.

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM

This is ridiculous and whoever made that decision to keep her in the hospital is mentally handicapped themselves.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)