Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Learning about Thanksgiving

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 10 Replies

Ive done a google search and all i'm coming up with is thankgiving crafts. Does anyone have a good source for a younger kid friendly lesson on Thanksgiving? (My oldest is 6, youngest is 14 months)

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM
The History Channel has some really good shows that you can use to help teach about it. The library should have some great books you can read to them & then you can use the crafts as fun filler.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

What exactly do you want to teach about Thanksgiving?  I don't want to give any resources that may not be what you are looking for.  We teach the lesson of property rights for our Thanksgiving lessons.

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What exactly do you want to teach about Thanksgiving?  I don't want to give any resources that may not be what you are looking for.  We teach the lesson of property rights for our Thanksgiving lessons.

This is probably not appropriate for children but I remembered watching this a few days ago & thought you might like to see it.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

This is probably not appropriate for children but I remembered watching this a few days ago & thought you might like to see it.

OMG!  That was awesome!  I teach all about that, but you're right that particular video is a bit inappropriate language-wise for my little ones.  But that video does explain it quite quickly the way I teach about the Pilgrims and the lessons they learned those first years.  We also have some good discussions about How the Native Americans knew English and some of the other less-happy areas.

That's why I want to know what type of lessons she's looking for.  We're not a Christopher Columbus and John Smith were heroes kind of family.  :/

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

OMG!  That was awesome!  I teach all about that, but you're right that particular video is a bit inappropriate language-wise for my little ones.  But that video does explain it quite quickly the way I teach about the Pilgrims and the lessons they learned those first years.  We also have some good discussions about How the Native Americans knew English and some of the other less-happy areas.

That's why I want to know what type of lessons she's looking for.  We're not a Christopher Columbus and John Smith were heroes kind of family.  :/

Yeah I thought it was great but the language used was more then most want their small children to here!

We are a lot like you in that aspect! I have to confess Pocahontas is one of my favorite Disney moves, I just love most of the songs!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah I thought it was great but the language used was more then most want their small children to here!

We are a lot like you in that aspect! I have to confess Pocahontas is one of my favorite Disney moves, I just love most of the songs!

Yeah, that was my problem with it.  They could have made it G-rated! :-&

I do like the Pocahontas music, too.  We showed a few pictures of what john Smith might have really looked like and blew the boys' minds!  LOL

Howardx5
by Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:51 PM

The history of it and how it came to be a holiday. My daughter came home from school the other day excited to tell me all about Thanksgiving. to sum it up- her teacher said it was all about food and eating all day. There was nothing educational taught about it. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

This is a cool websites with some pretty cool facts (history and food!  LOL): 
http://facts.randomhistory.com/thanksgiving-facts.html

Quote:

One of the most popular first Thanksgiving stories recalls the three-day celebration in Plymouth, Massachusetts, in 1621. Over 200 years later, President Lincoln declared the last Thursday in November as a national day of thanksgiving, and in 1941 Congress established the fourth Thursday in November as a national holiday.

There's this National Geographic article:  http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2011/11/111122-thanksgiving-2011-dinner-recipes-pilgrims-day-parade-history-facts

Or for the more traditional stuff there's the National Geographic Kids articles: http://kids.nationalgeographic.com/kids/stories/history/first-thanksgiving/

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:03 PM

There's a video at the top of the page: http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/2013/11/thanksgiving-videos-and-activities.html

This is the one my 5 yo has been watching and she seems to understand it pretty well.  It's only a few minutes long and gives a nice little history of Thanksgiving.

JATomlinson
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Also there's this video, but for older kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoXHXbgRJvc

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)