Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HSLDA debate

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
  • 12 Replies
I'm a member of a Facebook group of local homeschoolers. Many of them I know, but about half of them I've never met. This woman who I don't know posted the other night how we should all join HSLDA. She said, "It is vital more than ever before for every homeschool family in our area to join Home School Legal Defense Association. Its easy and afforable (only about $10 a mth) and very beneficial not only for your family but for all homeschoolers. Once you decide to homeschool, your next decision should be to join hslda." Then a few other group members said they didn't really care for HSLDA and this lady got all bent out of shape about it. People voiced their concerns about the group, and I also chimed in about how I think their website is useful and they do some good things, I wouldn't support them financially because there are just several issues on which our family totally disagrees with their policies (such as their opposition to same-sex marriage and their advocacy for physical discipline, even spelling out how parents can spank their children with windows covered so no one will know what they are doing). She again kind of flew off the handle and got defensive. Realistically if she'd just originally said, hey check out HSLDA, maybe think about joining... I'd have kept my mouth shut (as I imagine the other few members who said they don't like HSLDA). But she was so bossy and pushy about it, I felt like, hey lady, you don't need to tell me what my "next decision should be"! IDK. I just thought the whole thing was a little funny. I am sure members of this group support HSLDA and other members don't care for them at all. I'm glad this group - where we don't even all live in the same place - is more peaceable and calm than that group. ;)
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 3:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I try to keep my politics to myself in my local groups for just such reasons.  I love this group because I feel like I can state my opinions (usually) without much of the jumping up and down on one anothers' heads happening!  LOL  We are a pretty cool group of ladies (if I do say so myself!)  tattoo

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree!

I think I am somewhat middle-of-the-road in comparison to Americans as a whole, yet compared to my local homeschooling moms, I am probably a far left liberal in their eyes. ;) But I do think it's important that they not forget that not all homeschoolers are Bible-thumping evangelicals. Many are, and many are great wonderful parents raising great kids. But just as important to the momentum of the homeschool movement are these newer types, who want to be separate from government intervention and want to educate their children in innovative ways, having nothing to do with God or religious beliefs. Sometimes in local groups I am afraid to say too much about my political thoughts. ;)

usmom3
by BJ on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:30 PM
2 moms liked this

Hslda is not the only legal help out there for homeschoolers. In my state Texas we have Texas Homeschool Coalition & I know other states have something similar. I think it is great that there is help but I don't think people should feel obligated to join any of them especially not one specific one!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I'm a crazy Libertarian.  So I often feel the need to keep my mouth shut around both sides!  *giggle*  I very much want to teach my kids about our government set-up with all of the founding documents, but the religion is secondary to my homeschooling, so I'm not sure how the hslda would take our family.  I have not joined although I have seen them do good things for friends that were being bullied by our local PS.

celticdragon77
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Very well said.

Quoting hipmomto3:

I agree!

I think I am somewhat middle-of-the-road in comparison to Americans as a whole, yet compared to my local homeschooling moms, I am probably a far left liberal in their eyes. ;) But I do think it's important that they not forget that not all homeschoolers are Bible-thumping evangelicals. Many are, and many are great wonderful parents raising great kids. But just as important to the momentum of the homeschool movement are these newer types, who want to be separate from government intervention and want to educate their children in innovative ways, having nothing to do with God or religious beliefs. Sometimes in local groups I am afraid to say too much about my political thoughts. ;)

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

It's not a group I'd be comfortable joining. They seem to use fear to create membership and profit. I won't live that way.

autodidact
by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:50 PM
3 moms liked this

HSLDA is NOT "beneficial to all homeschoolers" and has a religious and conservative agenda. 

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 7:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have never been a member of HSLDA, because our State Home School Association has provided most of what we needed in the  legal arena.  But I know they have helped many who live in states that are anti-homeschooling. Many of their articles are most helpful, and with as many articles as they provide for free, I am bound to find some I don't agree with.  It is just the nature of things.

For that matter, I don't agree with any group 100%. Heck, over the years I have disagreed  with myself (changed my mind) . 

I describe myself as an independent thinker simply because I am not big on labeling people, and puting them in little boxes (politically or otherwise).  But I also find that I learn the most from those who disagree with me, and try to respect their right to do so. 

This group of parents is especially respectful of others right to choose, and think differently.  That is why I love you all so much.  I think this group would be very boring indeed  if we all thought just alike.  I can look at myself in the mirror, and do that.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this

P.S. My daughter and I homeschooled for a better education then what PS provides.  However I deeply appreciate those who home school for religious reasons, because they paved the way for the rest of us.  Much of the structure we enjoy is because of their hard work.  I would like to thank them from the depths of my hart  for what they have. accomplished

monkeybunns
by Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:59 PM

That's kinda weird that she got so bent out of shape.  I WILL be joining because we're really concerned what will happen when we move post grad school because in our state you can't report until your kid is 7 and we'll be moving that summer and I'm really concerned since he's very advanced (working 2 grade levels ahead) how that will work with the mandatory testing required in most states and the 7 year old reporting age.  I just don't want to chance getting in a legal battle and having to pay for a lawyer so we'll for sure be joining because I see the benefit for our situation especially since we have no idea where we'll be moving.  We will be joining near my son's 7th birthday April a year from this upcoming April-hubby will graduate in June right after.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)