Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

science for K-1

Posted by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 8 Replies

Alright. I have looked at the requirements for my state and it just says basic health (washing hands, what is a fruit/veg/meat. what is alive and so on).

So I have been at a loss as where to start.

We do not have a program as of yet.

So far we have read books on the human body. DD knows what the basics of each system does in the body. She understands life cycles as seen in butterflies/moths, how plants grow and how things start to rot (we have a massive garden & compost pit). We have read about (and she was tested on) Austrialian animals, elephants, and large felines. She can name 15 different cat & dog breeds and can tell at least two traits for each. (and will talk about them at length)  I have tested her on these topics. (two or three word answers 10 questions per topic).

We have touched on weather in the seasons and the solar system. (DK eyewitness books used)

There is a local group that is doing a science co-op, but so far it is just the moms walking through the local nature trails looking for the plants and the kids doing a two hour hike in the woods.  There are no questions asked, and unless I push it, no stories told or drawings made of the plant for later use.Honestly I think this is a glorified play group. BUt Maybe I am wrong as the kids are all 7 and under.  Thoughts?

What do you all do for K-2 science? 

The DK books are great and we have used the National Geo Kids early readers. The Magic School Bus books tend to bore her. I am looking for a more hands on thing....

Honestly I just don't remember what I learned in those years.....

help.

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

Okay I've always run it like this: I try to guide them so that they cover stuff from each of the main science disciplines but they pick the topics each year.  Then I find materials and experiments to cover what they want to cover.

BUT if I really wanted some heavy guidance, I would buy the book 365 Science Experiments by Glen Singleton (http://www.amazon.com/365-Science-Experiments-Glen-Singleton/dp/1741856264/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1385158227&sr=1-2&keywords=365+science+experiments and then I would find little books (like by Avi) for them to read about the bigger topics....health and nutrition, the way we work, magentism, light, day and night, etc.

I have the book and we use it a lot!  The boys love experiment days!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Everybody has a body, mudpies to magnets, and more mudpies to magnets are great books to have on hand. Or Pinterest!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Here is a link you might find useful....

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/early-elementary-science-projects/c/1083/
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:05 PM

We are reading Apologia Astronomy with DD (4) she LOVES it. But she was interested in space before we started it.  She's also super interested in the body.  Usborne has an awesome flap book on the body (christian book store online has it).  I'm thinking about getting the anatomy Apologia book as well.

We also do Magic School Bus DVDs and Science kits.  Huge hit as well.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM

I'm not sure about hands on at that age.

Next year, when my son is 5, we plan to watch a lot of Magic School Bus, read the Magic School Bus books, and I'm going to invest in the CLP nature readers.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:24 PM
I asked my children then we went to the library asked the librarian about a teacber library card.and find books movies to help.
LoriAlane8
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Sounds like you are doing a lot and giving your child a great start. You could always read through the book titled "What Your First Grader Should Know" by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. to see what you may have left out. Or check out the Science curriculum at K12.com. Their lessons are very engaging. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN