Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Article about memorizing in Math

Posted by   + Show Post

I found this article very interesting. I just wanted to share. My sons have mostly just naturally learned their facts. I mostly just let them use a multiplication chart and just let them have fun with it. My sons have created many interesting number pyramids to figure out their facts. They still literally calculate their times tables in their heads. They also used associations to figure out new facts. Numbers are all connected. They also have used deductive reasoning to figure out their larger facts. I also never taught them the other math facts. They simply learned the numbers that add up to 10 and used those to figure out all their addition and subtraction facts. They think very mathematically. Last night they had to answer a math question to watch TV. My husband asked them what 140 X 135 was. He was able to do it completely in their head just by simplifying the problem logically. I was very impressed.

http://www.theatlantic.com/education/archive/2013/09/when-memorization-gets-in-the-way-of-learning/279425/

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Replies (21-23):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM

i read that one. They've had a bunch of math articles lately.

I've also read some articles (can't find them now) that talked about how some people (probably with math disabilities) have a hard time memorizing - ever. I think I am one of those people. I sort of have my math facts memorized after decades of use, but basically I am a "fast counter" and solve even the most basic addition and subtraction by counting with fingers or in my head. It's been a life long thing and these learning articles I read said some people will always be there and won't really trust that they know a fact by memory and will revert to their counting strategies in most situations. I've also found I can do pretty well for the first couple of math problems I do, but I seem to lose steam and get slower and more confused as I have to do more and more problems and lose all confidence that I know a math fact... I even don't trust that I enterd something correctly in a calculator and often check my math twice. I really think it has something to do with not being able to keep more than one or two numbers in my head and keep them straight. I have to use penccil and paper. On-line standardized tests would be a disaster for me!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:03 AM
That is a very interesting article, to say the least. I actually work both methods.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this
I thought so. Something to think about.

Quoting kirbymom:

That is a very interesting article, to say the least. I actually work both methods.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)