Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My DCG is having a hard time with reading. She is in first grade. I'm stuck on what to do to help her. I don't remember learning how to read, and all 3 of my sons learned quickly with little trouble. DS#3 has always been good with reading and spelling, so I've never had to work this hard with any one just to learn how to read basic words.

She is 6, 7 in April. She knows that letters have sounds. She knows what most of them are, but sometimes gets n and h confused. She just can't seem to blend the sounds into words without a lot of work. Even words she just read in the line before has to be sounded out again. She almost sounds surprised when she finally gets a word sounded out.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to help her? She doesn't really see the need to read, her Mom or DS#3 will often read things for her. I've asked them not to, but they get frustrated with her and do it just to get on with things.

She is really good at math though, when she doesn't think too hard about it or when she does it just for fun. Sometimes I think that she thinks she is supposed to be not as smart because she is a girl. I'VE never suggested that, but I think her Mom has without knowing it. Mom acts stupid sometimes around men because HER Mom told her that boy/men prefer to be smarter than the girls/women they are with. It's hard to combat that, because Mom doesn't do it on purpose any more, it just happens. TV doesn't help either.

She's my only girl child, even though she isn't mine really. I love her as my own and want only the best for her.

by on Nov. 22, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (31-33):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM

This is great. You had me until your line about being Common Core aligned. Is your entire blog post aligned to fit with those standards? Absolutely not being controversial - it sounds like something I'd be interested in, but we steer from anything aligned, on principle.

Quoting maggiemom2000:
More Resources:

Reading the Alphabet is an amazing FREE program!

You Can Read!  From 1+1+1=1
A sight word program with lots of free printables available.

Word Play has links to lots of ideas  Visit 1+1+1=1 to see more word play ideas!
Word Play 125 Square

More multi-sensory ideas for teaching sight words at Make, Take, and Teach:

How do I start?
You can start by making your own word lists by copying them by hand  or typing them onto the computer. You can write them on blank 3 X 5 index cards. You can purchase sight word or high frequency word flash cards in many places. You can also download the classroom pack I created here: Kindergarten Sight Words Classroom Pack

An updated version is available here: 

Next you will be ready for Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

We're using Phonics Pathways, but it's pretty tedious and he's losing interest rapidly. Care to share exactly how you did the sight reading? Lol. I know - lame question. I have no recollection of learning to read... it came fairly naturally to me. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

MessedUpMama
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Than you. I will try some of these things. She is so smart in other areas, it's hard to see her struggle with reading. But it makes since, you know? Reading English is difficult, the sounds of letters change depending on the letters around it, at least with math 1+1=2 every time. LOL

Quoting maggiemom2000:

OP I posted my sight word info, now here is my segmenting and blending info:

http://tadpolestrailsandtrees.blogspot.com/2013/02/beginning-phonics-for-emergent-readers.html

Growing Readers: Beginning Phonics for Emergent Readers

I

maggiemom2000
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 11:49 AM

No, it is not Common Core aligned it simply lists the CC standards that it happens to cover, mostly for those people who wonder what should my child be learning at this age. The ideas and information came first, a lot of the things in here are things I've been doing for 20yrs, then I simply looked at list of CC standards and listed the things that were covered. No where is my information in any way driven by CC. It is frustrating to think that someone may completely disregard my information just because I listed the standards which it happens to cover.

The CC standards are just that, a list of target learning standards for each grade level at a national level, instead of the different state standards for each individual state. I have watched so many things like this come and go in the 25 years since I got my teaching credential, to me this is just one more. I think the biggest controversy lies in how that list of standards will be used to guide instruction and assessment (fortunately not something I need to worry about as a homeschooler!)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This is great. You had me until your line about being Common Core aligned. Is your entire blog post aligned to fit with those standards? Absolutely not being controversial - it sounds like something I'd be interested in, but we steer from anything aligned, on principle.

Quoting maggiemom2000:
More Resources:

Reading the Alphabet is an amazing FREE program!

You Can Read!  From 1+1+1=1
A sight word program with lots of free printables available.

Word Play has links to lots of ideas  Visit 1+1+1=1 to see more word play ideas!
Word Play 125 Square

More multi-sensory ideas for teaching sight words at Make, Take, and Teach:

How do I start?
You can start by making your own word lists by copying them by hand  or typing them onto the computer. You can write them on blank 3 X 5 index cards. You can purchase sight word or high frequency word flash cards in many places. You can also download the classroom pack I created here: Kindergarten Sight Words Classroom Pack

An updated version is available here: 

Next you will be ready for Kindergarten Sight Word Sentences.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

We're using Phonics Pathways, but it's pretty tedious and he's losing interest rapidly. Care to share exactly how you did the sight reading? Lol. I know - lame question. I have no recollection of learning to read... it came fairly naturally to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)