Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1st Grade Curriculum

Posted by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am wondering if I can get some suggestions on 1st Grade curriculum. I have a very active 5 year old that HATES writing and sitting still. I'm just curious what curriculums everyone has used for their children that are the same and been successful! TIA Denita :)
by on Nov. 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My DD sounds a lot like your 5 yr old.  She's CRAZY active and I thought handwriting would be our worst subject, I was so dreading it....we're doing Handwriting without tears and guess what our best subject is?? She's 4 but is doing the K work no problem (in fact sometimes we could move faster because she's a perfectionist so I'm waiting for her body to catch up to her mind).

I'm also using Apologia Astronomy and we LOVE LOVE LOVE it! We're not doing the notebook, just reading at this point.

We do RightStart Math and enjoy that as well.

Magic school bus DVDs and science kits are fun and she loves them. She bounces on her trampoline (or the rocking chair) while watching them. I've asked for the books for Christmas.

I check out a lot of books from the library, read along books on CD, preschool prep DVDs. 

We are doing the free 14 day trial of Reading Eggs and she likes it but gets bored with those programs quickly. Ooka Island is another...they also have a free trial.

I have lots of reading games from Lakeshore Learning.  Some with blends, compound words, etc.

I also do printed pages. She's into word finds these days but we do a lot of coloring pages, as well as cutting, pasting and arts and crafts.

We attend music class outside one day a week.  One thing I noticed is that if I have any music on while she's writing, she doesn't do well. She's too into the music and she gets distracted or colors too quickly etc. It took me awhile to figure that out the hard way!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Oak meadow is a fun curriculum for kids. Not much writing, very hands on, lots of movement.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Active children are usually simply excited about life in general... doing things, and games keep their attention .  You will want something that provides lots of activity (physically involve him in the learning process)   I also provide my active ones lots of active breaks, like a run around the house.

Ring Around The Phonics is an active game to teach phonics, reading, comprehension, spelling, vocabulary and other  language arts subjects. It has activity cards that not only help release energy, they teach comprehension too. 

Math U See has manipulates, and teaches the importance of the number 0.

Also using real life experiences is a good way to teach active children.  Building something (like a fort) can become a lesson in measuring, math, ext.  A trip to the grocery store can also be used to teach weights, and math. 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Handwriting Without Tears is a great handwriting program and very hands on if you get most of the components - the wood pieces, the chalk board, workbook, etc.

All About Reading is good, I've heard, for active children.

For math I would recommend Miquon - it's what i'm using for my son. For whatever reason, the c-rods add a huge level of "fun" to the program, lol.

Story of the World for history - get the activity book, as it's full of crafts and extra literature suggestions.

For science I would recommend some messy experiments and Magic School Bus dvds/books.

For music we're using Making Music, Praying Twice. It's a Catholic program and there are some Catholic specific songs in there, but it's also full of other favorite children's songs - it comes with CDs, songbooks, and a teacher's manual - the TM is where the "meat" is and it suggests all kinds of instruments and activities for the songs.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 9:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Math U See Primer
Handwriting Without Tears
365 Science Experiments (very hands on)
Story of the World (ancients)
Ring Around the Phonics game
Hooked on Phonics (but I needed to add a lot of bouncing, skipping, jumping, and swatting)

elizabooks
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM

How do you feel about the academics of the program?

Quoting Boobah:

Oak meadow is a fun curriculum for kids. Not much writing, very hands on, lots of movement.

oahoah
by Member on Nov. 24, 2013 at 2:11 PM

We started using Heart of Dakota this year and it's been good, it has active time/playing and for my very active 6 y/o we take a lot of breaks, if needed.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Nov. 24, 2013 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Oak meadow in general is a more gentle curriculum than mainstream curriculum. It may *seem* like it is behind! but it just introduces things when the child is developmentally ready, instead of forcing too much academics too early, causing problems in other areas. I have found that the gentle approach does a few things. It allows children to be children for a bit longer, which is not a bad thing. Kids definitely grow up too quickly in our society. It allows for creativity! And also, they catch on faster because their minds are ready for it.
So while OM starts off "behind", it ends up being ahead in a couple years, the kids catch on faster with less stress and struggle. Also, they do not discourage going at your child's pace. So, if your child just loves math and is ready for more, you are free to bring that to him/her! You don't have to hold them back to adding simple numbers if they already know those things.

Quoting elizabooks:

How do you feel about the academics of the program?

Quoting Boobah:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)