Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Need Suggestions for 1st Grade Hands-On History Curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is a kinesthetic learner, and he does NOT like listening to me read to him unless he's tired and relaxed.  Usually he falls asleep during the story then.  So I'm having trouble planning a history curriculum for 1st grade.  It needs to be FUN, hands-on, interesting.  Not just reading out loud and then asking him questions.  I have the Story of the World set (volume 1 book and activity book), and after looking it over, I think I'll plan to save it for 2nd grade.  Hopefully he'll be a little better listener then.  I really do want to work in some general early American history for 1st grade, though.  Is there something out there that has projects involved?  Not lapbooking - he hates it, for some reason.  Thanks for any suggestions you have!

by on Nov. 27, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Replies (11-19):
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this
The Who was books are good too
goldilocksbecky
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Many museums or historic sites have "virtual field trips" online.  Obviously actually going there would be our best option, but that's not always a realistic option. 

jen2150
by Silver Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM
History videos can be really helpful. Does he like audio books? How long can you read before he gets aantsy? How often do you read to him? He may be visual. I suggest drawing while you read. I would also do a mural of everything you are learning. Make it really big. Have you tried liberty kids? History pocket books are interesting. You can find them on Amazon. I am doing a 9 by 6 foot map of the US out of poster board. I am using templates from a $5 download
kirbymom
by Sonja on Nov. 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Hi. Here is a link you may find interesting

3/04/homeschool-history-curriculum-forum.html

Sorry it isn't clicky.
AmyMamie
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM

A great idea - I'll look for some online.  I would LOVE to be able to go to some museums, but we live in the boonies of South Dakota.  There are NO options for that here.  lol  I do think we have some good historical sites, though, that we can drive to when we start covering the Wild West and battles that occurred locally.  I wouldn't have thought of it, but it's a fun idea - thank you!!

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

Many museums or historic sites have "virtual field trips" online.  Obviously actually going there would be our best option, but that's not always a realistic option. 

AmyMamie
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I haven't tried audio books with him yet, so I'll see what I can check out at the library to try that.  During school, I can only read about 5 minutes before he's really antsy.  He doesn't enjoy coloring, but he does like to draw, so I may be able to get him into a project of drawing what we're reading.  Worth a try, right?

The History Pocket books look great, and I'll see if I can incorporate them.  We have Liberty Kids on dvd, but so far he doesn't enjoy watching it.  I think later on down the road, when he gets a basis of knowledge about the Revolution, he'll have a lot more interest in watching the shows.  I think they're great!  Thank you for the input!

Quoting jen2150:

History videos can be really helpful. Does he like audio books? How long can you read before he gets aantsy? How often do you read to him? He may be visual. I suggest drawing while you read. I would also do a mural of everything you are learning. Make it really big. Have you tried liberty kids? History pocket books are interesting. You can find them on Amazon. I am doing a 9 by 6 foot map of the US out of poster board. I am using templates from a $5 download

SiennaSkye
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Making a graphic organizer may keep him engaged--especially if you incorporate some form of drawing and coloring into the lesson :)

lovelylady83
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:05 AM
1 mom liked this

check out brainpop jr.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Your welcome. Hope you find something he enjoys.

Quoting AmyMamie:

I haven't tried audio books with him yet, so I'll see what I can check out at the library to try that.  During school, I can only read about 5 minutes before he's really antsy.  He doesn't enjoy coloring, but he does like to draw, so I may be able to get him into a project of drawing what we're reading.  Worth a try, right?

The History Pocket books look great, and I'll see if I can incorporate them.  We have Liberty Kids on dvd, but so far he doesn't enjoy watching it.  I think later on down the road, when he gets a basis of knowledge about the Revolution, he'll have a lot more interest in watching the shows.  I think they're great!  Thank you for the input!

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN