Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you keep Santa secrets from young children while being with them all day?

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents were sneaky Santa Clauses. I tried to stay up until 2 or 4 AM, but I never caught them. When I woke up, beautifully wrapped presents magically appeared by my pillow every year. I'm embarrassed a little, but I believed in Santa until almost 12 years old. Then my thoughtful neighbor girl, 10, told me one day, "Please don't tell my youngest sister about Santa. She still believes in him. But I don't understand why anyone wouldn't notice that he is our parents." Within a split second, all the wonders made sense and I managed to reply, "Yeah, neither do I." 

Even after I told my mom what I had learned that day, my parents continued the tradition until I was out of the house. When I visit them during Christmas, they still do it.

Now I want to do the same to my children, but being a homeschooling mom, I'm finding this task a little more difficult than I anticipated. I remembered what my children said they wanted from the stores we went; took my husband there on a date night and asked for his opinions; and we are still discussing what we should get. My husband didn't complain, but this was more of a chore than what he wanted to do on a date night: Watch a movie and relax.

I sometimes feel like giving in by telling my children so that I could buy what they want in front of them, wrap them in our wrapping paper to save money, and give them out without secrets. But I cannot undo the effect, so we're still hanging on. I thought of buying things online, but then my children will see the UPS coming and wonder why Mommy doesn't open packages with them only in December. I could do this during summer, but then their Christmas presents may not be what they want at the time. I thought of sending them to my relatives, but they don't like keeping extra stuff in their houses.

Wrapping presents in secret is another hard task. I have been doing it every year, but I may start asking my husband to just measure the presents and go buy bags. Last year, I wrapped them in our wrapping paper and our oldest daughter asked why Santa and we had the same papers. Epic fail. I told her that Santa wanted to borrow our wrapping paper. Horrible, I know. I'm not a good lier. But she wants to believe in Santa, so she is still believing. So I need to be extra careful this year. I don't want them to hear the sound of bags either, so my husband will have to bag them in his car. But then they may stay up and see my husband bringing in presents to the house. I could ask him to put them in a black plastic bag, but that looks suspicious too.

How do you guys do it? Did you already tell them who Santa was? If so, how old were they? I have 4 children and the oldest is 8 years old.

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (11-20):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:41 AM
I let it slip for DD (10yo) last year. She had heen hinting she knew and I thought she was asleep and was talkimg to DS1 about what people were getting.

I was like OP, my parents were so freaking sneaky, I dont think I figured it out till I was 12! We went to my Grandma's house each Christmas eve and I always helped them take all the family's wrapped presents from under the tree and there was nothimg under the tree when we left amd yet when I walked in after church the tree would be loaded, lights on, beautiful! It took years till I realized.Mom always had to run back on "for Aumts so-n-so's gift she didnt see in the car!" Or some other excuse...lol

I was never that creative! I did use different paper and would print To/From Santa tags on the computer. We never made a huge deal of it though.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Same here :-)

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My eldest believed until grade 3, when her teacher let the cat out of the bag (we weren't happy) - she asked us, straight up, and we told her. She is now 12 and LOVES helping us play Santa for her younger brothers!

I buy gifts both online and in store. When I go in store, my husband stays home with the children (I'm planning on going out tomorrow or Saturday to do some of it).

I wrap after they are in bed. I want to do the same this year as last... last year my best friend came over, we had a few "grown up drinks" and wrapped our children's gifts together (DD12 joined us). It was fun :)

Honestly, I've never had any problem sneaking around them, lol.

ETA: I'll help my children continue to believe for as long as I can. I never once felt betrayed or lied to by my parents, just because they helped us believe in Santa. I still believe :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

This is what we do too. The kids each get one santa gift, either wrapped in special paper or just unwrapped, along with their stocking. Hey, I want at least some of the credit for presents,lol.

Quoting usmom3:

My children all know that Santa is not real now. But back when they still believed him to be real we would buy the Santa gift (there was always just one a piece) when we shopped for all the other things (the children are not with us when we Christmas shop, plus I shop online a lot). We never wrapped Santa gifts they where always under the tree unwrapped & ready to be played with along with their stockings filled by Santa.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SassyMom25
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Santa only brings our kids one gift...something from their list and we do everything else. Never been an issue...and always used different wrapping paper. Our kids are 11, 7 and 2. The oldest I'm sure is figuring it out. We talked about it a few years ago and told him only those who believe get presents from Santa...part if his magic.
Liastele
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Order presents online, have them delivered, say its supplies for next semester and shrug and stick it in your room. Order paper online as well. 

Jasmine424
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:32 PM

I like that you leave Santa's presents unwrapped or fill them in stockings. That sounds simpler!

Quoting usmom3:

My children all know that Santa is not real now. But back when they still believed him to be real we would buy the Santa gift (there was always just one a piece) when we shopped for all the other things (the children are not with us when we Christmas shop, plus I shop online a lot). We never wrapped Santa gifts they where always under the tree unwrapped & ready to be played with along with their stockings filled by Santa.

Jasmine424
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I thought of sending my children on a date with Daddy too. Wouldn't that be more fun? My girls are 8, 6, and 3, and boy 5 months old. Gift wrap! Why dind't I think of that? I see it every time I shop on Amazon, but once I thought it was luxury, I stopped paying attention. Thank you for reminding me of that!

Quoting jen2150:

My kids have always known the truth.  My parents were horrible about wrapping.  They always hid them under the bed.  We always knew what they were.  We don't keep christmas anymore but I would just do the best you can and realize as long as you are together it will be the best christmas ever.    How old are your kids?  Maybe send out for a date night with Daddy!  Sometimes I order things online and they give you an option of gift wrap.  No matter what you do I am sure it will be great!

Jasmine424
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I don't know why it became this complicated. I think this is getting near impossible while homeschooling. I'll try to make it more simple and enjoy this time of the year!

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Wow, that stressed me out just reading it! I think you're overthinking it. My kids were apparently either very cynical or very logical, because they were over the Santa thing very young. Probably about 3 or 4. We didn't see the point in keeping up the charade once they started trying to figure it out. It doesn't have to be THAT much work. It should be fun! Taking Santa out of the equation doesn't have to ruin the magic. Just be honest with them, then let the mystery of "what's under the tree" be the fun part.

firefay
by Member on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM
My oldest's birthday is the day after Christmas, and she is so excited about Santa coming to visit her and her little sisters. :) DH doesn't do much with holidays, but I do. I make it simple. The one time Santa was mentioned, my dad and one of my brothers were visting from out of town and told my oldest (almost 3 then) that she had to go to bed so Santa could visit. DH wasn't sure what to do, and neither was I. Making the magic happen takes planning...lol... It's not something you do on a whim. Thankfully, when I asked my daughter who she thought helped get her and her one sister then's nice presents, she said Santa Claus. :) Santa was a personal shopper...lol... My babies are almost 5, 3, and almost 17 months old.
Jasmine424
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Oh no, a teacher! After reading your post, I thought of telling my oldest daughter, 8, and let her join in the fun of playing this Santa game, but I haven't. I'll think about it for a few more days. One year, I told my mom that Santa gave me what I really wanted, but she didn't. It was hard for my mom, but I admired her perseverance once I learned who it was.... 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My eldest believed until grade 3, when her teacher let the cat out of the bag (we weren't happy) - she asked us, straight up, and we told her. She is now 12 and LOVES helping us play Santa for her younger brothers!

I buy gifts both online and in store. When I go in store, my husband stays home with the children (I'm planning on going out tomorrow or Saturday to do some of it).

I wrap after they are in bed. I want to do the same this year as last... last year my best friend came over, we had a few "grown up drinks" and wrapped our children's gifts together (DD12 joined us). It was fun :)

Honestly, I've never had any problem sneaking around them, lol.

ETA: I'll help my children continue to believe for as long as I can. I never once felt betrayed or lied to by my parents, just because they helped us believe in Santa. I still believe :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)