Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How do you keep Santa secrets from young children while being with them all day?

Posted by   + Show Post

My parents were sneaky Santa Clauses. I tried to stay up until 2 or 4 AM, but I never caught them. When I woke up, beautifully wrapped presents magically appeared by my pillow every year. I'm embarrassed a little, but I believed in Santa until almost 12 years old. Then my thoughtful neighbor girl, 10, told me one day, "Please don't tell my youngest sister about Santa. She still believes in him. But I don't understand why anyone wouldn't notice that he is our parents." Within a split second, all the wonders made sense and I managed to reply, "Yeah, neither do I." 

Even after I told my mom what I had learned that day, my parents continued the tradition until I was out of the house. When I visit them during Christmas, they still do it.

Now I want to do the same to my children, but being a homeschooling mom, I'm finding this task a little more difficult than I anticipated. I remembered what my children said they wanted from the stores we went; took my husband there on a date night and asked for his opinions; and we are still discussing what we should get. My husband didn't complain, but this was more of a chore than what he wanted to do on a date night: Watch a movie and relax.

I sometimes feel like giving in by telling my children so that I could buy what they want in front of them, wrap them in our wrapping paper to save money, and give them out without secrets. But I cannot undo the effect, so we're still hanging on. I thought of buying things online, but then my children will see the UPS coming and wonder why Mommy doesn't open packages with them only in December. I could do this during summer, but then their Christmas presents may not be what they want at the time. I thought of sending them to my relatives, but they don't like keeping extra stuff in their houses.

Wrapping presents in secret is another hard task. I have been doing it every year, but I may start asking my husband to just measure the presents and go buy bags. Last year, I wrapped them in our wrapping paper and our oldest daughter asked why Santa and we had the same papers. Epic fail. I told her that Santa wanted to borrow our wrapping paper. Horrible, I know. I'm not a good lier. But she wants to believe in Santa, so she is still believing. So I need to be extra careful this year. I don't want them to hear the sound of bags either, so my husband will have to bag them in his car. But then they may stay up and see my husband bringing in presents to the house. I could ask him to put them in a black plastic bag, but that looks suspicious too.

How do you guys do it? Did you already tell them who Santa was? If so, how old were they? I have 4 children and the oldest is 8 years old.

by on Nov. 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM
Replies (41-44):
Jasmine424
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:01 PM

It's so interesting to hear what other people get for their children. I like how you laid them out with examples. That's very helpful. I was thinking that Santa gifts must be general and small, so it's more believable, but hey, if we are going to play this game, why not play it big? I'm not done shopping yet. I'll keep your tips in my mind. Thank you!

Quoting ballerina.2006:

It's cold here so I hide gifts under coats or the baby's blanket in the store lol. I have no problem staying up late and wrapping either. My oldest is almost 8 so I still have hopefully one more year. A lot of stuff has come in via UPS for Christmas this year and I just put the box on my bed and deal with it later. I just tell my kids it's mine and I'll open it when I have time.

Another thing that helps is: something you want, something you need, something you'll wear and something to read. Then 1-2 Santa gifts and a couple stocking stuffers. Santa gifts are normally big shared items or big ticket items period (play kitchen, bikes, mini trampoline, etc) Stocking gifts are small items (hot wheels, barbie, teething toys, etc)

2chillins4me
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:05 PM

They don't ruin the "magic" for the other children.  They go get pictures with Santa, because grandma enjoys them.  They watch Christmas movies.  We have been doing this about 3 yrs.  It's much better for the whole family.  I hope you have a very blessed, relaxing season!

Q

uoting Jasmine424:

That sounds ideal. I used to do big birthday parties, but when I stopped, it was way more relaxing and enjoyable. I'm starting to think that I should stop this Christmas frenzy too...

Quoting 2chillins4me:

My children are 12, 6, 3, and 1.  They all know Santa doesn't bring gifts.  We tell them the truth and go from there.  We enjoy the togetherness of the season.  We don't focus on the gifts at all.  They get 4 a piece and no one complains.  It makes for a very relaxing season, instead of over stressing.

CafeMom Tickers
Jasmine424
by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be a different kind of wonderful Christmas. I don't think I'm ready this year yet, but I can't wait to have that kind of Christmas!

Quoting 2chillins4me:

They don't ruin the "magic" for the other children.  They go get pictures with Santa, because grandma enjoys them.  They watch Christmas movies.  We have been doing this about 3 yrs.  It's much better for the whole family.  I hope you have a very blessed, relaxing season!

Q

uoting Jasmine424:

That sounds ideal. I used to do big birthday parties, but when I stopped, it was way more relaxing and enjoyable. I'm starting to think that I should stop this Christmas frenzy too...

Quoting 2chillins4me:

My children are 12, 6, 3, and 1.  They all know Santa doesn't bring gifts.  We tell them the truth and go from there.  We enjoy the togetherness of the season.  We don't focus on the gifts at all.  They get 4 a piece and no one complains.  It makes for a very relaxing season, instead of over stressing.

2chillins4me
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

However, hiding the 4 gifts can be tricky since they know we buy them :) I hide basically in plain site. We don't have an attic or basement, we have a storage room in my house that they see daily, right now some of their gifts are just in boxes in that room. 

Quoting Jasmine424:

Thank you! I'm sure it'll be a different kind of wonderful Christmas. I don't think I'm ready this year yet, but I can't wait to have that kind of Christmas!

Quoting 2chillins4me:

Q

uoting Jasmine424:

Quoting 2chillins4me:

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)