Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Astronomy unit

Posted by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM
  • 11 Replies
Dd wants to do an astronomy unit but not having luck finding lesson plans. She has a refraction telescope and I can get into the observatory pretty easily. Just not finding any good project type things for her age 11 on about 7 - 8th grade level.
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would look a the Boy SCout Merit badge book for astronomy. They have a series of requirements that must be completed to earn the badge and I use those for lesson plans. They are $5 and change and really great!!

My boys actually do the merit badges but I often have DD do them for science, social studies, etc.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Nov. 30, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Buy a regular book you like, then make up your own test, quizzes, activities. 

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM
i love the elementary apologia one might be worth checking it out
monkeybunns
by Member on Nov. 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM
We are doing the elementary apologia this year on astronomy (it's a full year curriculum). You could build your own with library videos and books. Bill Nye has one on the sun and one on space or the solar system. There's a series called What's Up in Space-see if your library has it. They should have many books on planets and space as well. DS1 is very in to space right now and is getting a telescope for Christmas. I also got a couple astronomy books on Amazon-the everything guide to space for kids or something like that. I also found some star guides. NASA has a lot of info and pictures on their site.
CreativeTeachR
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

this is what i do

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Buy a regular book you like, then make up your own test, quizzes, activities. 

CreativeTeachR
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:17 PM

i do not leave out going to thrift stores to get lots of books for our library, the old school books are really good and seem to have more in them than todays books, also a time for craft projects

shadowmoon
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:34 AM

How about going to Hobby Lobby (if you have it) and making your own solar system?  I did that in 7th grade as a science project.  There's paint as well to paint the planets before you attach them to the little wires.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Hi! Here is a link that you might find helpful.

http://www.sciencebuddies.org/science-fair-projects/Intro-Astronomy.shtml
oahoah
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:50 PM

We have been using Apologia Astronomy this year and love it, also bought the lab kit and it has proven very much worth it.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:05 AM

What we have have been doing is ASTRONOMY ACADEMY My kids love it. There are two different units, one for younger and one for older kids. We are also doing lapbooks with it, but mine are a little younger, so yours may not want to. But if so, we get all of our lap books from HOMESCHOOLSHARE.COM

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)