Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Dd wants to do an astronomy unit but not having luck finding lesson plans. She has a refraction telescope and I can get into the observatory pretty easily. Just not finding any good project type things for her age 11 on about 7 - 8th grade level.
by on Nov. 29, 2013 at 8:08 PM
Replies (11-11):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

You can can take and LED flash light and every color glow stick, and start walking away from them and observe which colors you lose sight of first, and graph the results.
Look up where planets were in the night sky that would be visible to you, and then take a protractor to find where they are in the sky (for learning to sight the telescope)
In the street if possible, draw a to scale modle of the solar system (I did this once in middle school..7th or 8th I  can't remember which in our school parking lot). This one is also great for a hands on math project and learning/reinforcing diamtere and radius....
Another project I remember doing in school around that time, we had to make up an alien that would live on a planet, and tell how it would live there (did it fly? did that planet have a core it could land on? what was the temperature, and if it was super cold or super hot, how did it manage to live? how could it breathe? how tall/small was it? etc). We were to draw or make a model of the alien that would live there as well. This particular project crosses astronomy and biology together.
Make a comet modle with dry ice and rocks.
To show nuclear fussion in the sun, try throwing two tennis balls, one in velcro at each other, and watch them stick to show how hydrogen turns into helium. Just remember to emphasize that on the sun, this happens naturally because of how hot it is...
Those are all the labs I can come up with at the moment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN