Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for Mysterious Ideas.

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm starting some new essay writing for my 8th grader. She enjoys the mysterious. So each week she will get a New topic. She will then research, rough draft, edit, type it into proper format and print it off for me. 

I'm looking for some mysterious themes. 

So far I've got

Amelia Earnhardt

The Winchester house

The Crystal skulls

Area 51

Bonnie and Clyde

Crop circles

I want things that make you think,..... places, people or even ghosts. Out of the box stuff that's interesting and entertaining. Something with perhaps multiple theories, legends or just down right a mystery. At the end of each essay I want to know what she thinks.  

Thanks in advance!

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Replies (21-30):
PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I've been wanting to research this myself. I'd like to find out more about the recent thought that the Jews didn't build them.

Ancient aliens is a cool show! 

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

What about the pyramids? It depends what you believe, but it's hard to believe they were built by just a bunch of slaves as quickly as they were. DH likes to watch Ancient Aliens and stuff like that and there was a big one on the pyramids, also that they think they could have had electricity as well.

You should report her findings on all of these ideas to us, lol. I'll try to come back with some ideas from DH later, he's all about the mysterious!

elizabooks
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Coral Castle in Florida, American Stonehenge in Mane I think.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol - I would never leave the ship in the middle of water! Not voluntarily anyways.
Why indeed?!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Good one! That one really bugs me. Why, why? 

If I'm on a boat in the ocean, I'm not leaving that boat. 

Quoting kirbymom:Here is anotare mystery...

The Mary Celeste-The Unexplained Disappearance of the Crew.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
Hubby and I love to watch Nova. One of the better programs on TV, today.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a cool project.

Stonehenge is a classic.

We watch NOVA for fun & they had this story about two mammoths who were locked in battle by their tusks & neither made it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/mammoth-mystery.html

Not sure how dark you want to go, but the Bog People are interesting: http://discovermagazine.com/1997/aug/thepeopleofthebo1195#.UppbF3i9LCQ

There was a guy who tried to start a utopian society along the Ohio River. He also thought the seas would turn to lemonade: http://www.forgottenoh.com/Utopia/utopia.html

Anastasia is a good one. Bigfoot was popular as he could be with the kids last year.

BraydensMama163
by Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM
1 mom liked this
A little scary maybe for her age but ED and Loraine Warren are very interesting people they deal with haunting and possession type stuff.

Annabelle the doll and the story the movie the conjuring was based on came from their life experiences
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this

We just learned about the males two months ago.  We knew the female was bad to the bones (not just from Nemo).  My new slogan when I'm at my inlaws (and they get grouchy) is going to be "don't blame me, blame my parasitic mate!"  LOL

Sounds like it.  I did a report on Ivan The Terrible when I was in middle school and he was pretty messed up too.  Not just from inbreeding, but his parents dying when he was young, and the courtiers who should have been his servants being abusive.  He's a prime example of nature and nurture working against someone, and that getting passed along.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

My dd likes those books and tv shows...most weirdest whatever....the angler fish is always there! One of WTF creatures on this earth.

You should look into Rasputin.....one scary dude.  

Quoting TidewaterClan:

One of my friends saw the big people when they were in Pittsburgh. She said it was one of the best exhibits she ever saw.

Rasputin was something else! I'd like to know more about him myself.

Angler fish are pretty nifty too. Scientists were confused for the longest time because they only found females. Then one studied the little lumps on a fish's body and discovered they were males that had fused themselves to the female. Nothing better than a parasitic mate!

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I was thinking about Stonehenge & the American Stonehenge.

Bog people is perfect.. I had not thought of that! National geographic did an article about them a couple years ago. It was fascinating. 

With the Anastasia..I was thinking of starting at the point of Rasputin. Since his actions had something to do with the death of the czar.

Oceans to lemonade....I got to go read that one! 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's a cool project.

Stonehenge is a classic.

We watch NOVA for fun & they had this story about two mammoths who were locked in battle by their tusks & neither made it: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/nature/mammoth-mystery.html

Not sure how dark you want to go, but the Bog People are interesting: http://discovermagazine.com/1997/aug/thepeopleofthebo1195#.UppbF3i9LCQ

There was a guy who tried to start a utopian society along the Ohio River. He also thought the seas would turn to lemonade: http://www.forgottenoh.com/Utopia/utopia.html

Anastasia is a good one. Bigfoot was popular as he could be with the kids last year.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 2:59 PM

The Queen Mary is a cool ship too.  I love the fact that she started off as a luxury passenger liner, then was used in WWII to haul men and supplies.  In 1942 she sliced right through her companion cruiser and the captain was on strict orders not to stop for anything.  All the men on the other ship perished.  She's supposed to be haunted from the war, her crew, and the fancy passengers that once boarded her.

We used to watch "The World's Scariest Places" when it was on tv, and dad and I tried to win a trip to stay the weekend on her when they had a contest. :)

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

That's cool website! Love it :)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

The Queen Mary is a cool ship too.  I love the fact that she started off as a luxury passenger liner, then was used in WWII to haul men and supplies.  In 1942 she sliced right through her companion cruiser and the captain was on strict orders not to stop for anything.  All the men on the other ship perished.  She's supposed to be haunted from the war, her crew, and the fancy passengers that once boarded her.

We used to watch "The World's Scariest Places" when it was on tv, and dad and I tried to win a trip to stay the weekend on her when they had a contest. :)

Jlee4249
by Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Dead blackbirds fall from the sky two years in a row in Arkansas.  2011

over a three week period in October 1886, rain fell from cloudless sky in North Carolina.

Then have her check out the "footprints in the snow" in 1855 in England... although this one is kinda creepy in weird & unusual.

Pollock twins, from 1958... more creepy.

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 6:55 AM

That reminds me...I remember hearing when I was a kid on the Paul Harvey radio show about fish and frogs falling from the sky.. I need to read up on that.

I had no idea that birds fell here in North Carolina!

Foot prints in the snow sounds very interesting.

Twins sound creepy as well! Thanks 

Quoting Jlee4249:

Dead blackbirds fall from the sky two years in a row in Arkansas.  2011

over a three week period in October 1886, rain fell from cloudless sky in North Carolina.

Then have her check out the "footprints in the snow" in 1855 in England... although this one is kinda creepy in weird & unusual.

Pollock twins, from 1958... more creepy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)