Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for Mysterious Ideas.

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm starting some new essay writing for my 8th grader. She enjoys the mysterious. So each week she will get a New topic. She will then research, rough draft, edit, type it into proper format and print it off for me. 

I'm looking for some mysterious themes. 

So far I've got

Amelia Earnhardt

The Winchester house

The Crystal skulls

Area 51

Bonnie and Clyde

Crop circles

I want things that make you think,..... places, people or even ghosts. Out of the box stuff that's interesting and entertaining. Something with perhaps multiple theories, legends or just down right a mystery. At the end of each essay I want to know what she thinks.  

Thanks in advance!

by on Nov. 30, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Replies (31-40):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Machu Picchu (why was it abandoned).

Atlantis (the origins of the legend of the missing island/continent, not the resort)

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Everyone else suggested all that I came up with!

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:14 AM

Thanks everyone...You gals got my brain going!

Dd started yesterday with the Crystal Skulls... and she can't wait to write her essay!

She is not so excited about learning APA format...but oh well!

shadowmoon
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 4:52 AM
1 mom liked this

You could always do the Dragon's Triangle that's off Japan.  

Pompeii and Herculeam

The city of Troy is in fact real (the ruins were found in Turkey)

Atlantis

Franklin's Lost Expedition

City of Caves in Budapest, Hungary

The demise of the Mayans

Cappadocia Turkey (there was a secret pagan underground city)

You can use Cities of the Underworld series (3 seasons) for lots of cool stuff about underground secret cities and the like-one episode is about Cappadocia and another about the City of Caves.

Stonehenge but that's already been suggested

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:04 AM

Those are great, quite a few I've never heard of! Just made my llistbigger!

She loves the Pompeii story, I let her do 2 documentaries on that. 

I love that show, I need to get it recorded on my dvr. 

Right now she is doing the Crystal skulls, which will set her up for the Mayans in a few weeks. Next week she wants to do Bonnie and Clyde. 

I've got a weird kid....but I'll love having a weird kid. 

Quoting shadowmoon:

You could always do the Dragon's Triangle that's off Japan.  

Pompeii and Herculeam

The city of Troy is in fact real (the ruins were found in Turkey)

Atlantis

Franklin's Lost Expedition

City of Caves in Budapest, Hungary

The demise of the Mayans

Cappadocia Turkey (there was a secret pagan underground city)

You can use Cities of the Underworld series (3 seasons) for lots of cool stuff about underground secret cities and the like-one episode is about Cappadocia and another about the City of Caves.

Stonehenge but that's already been suggested

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM
Finally remembered to talk to DH...he says you should listen to Clyde Lewis (groundzeromedia.org...you can listen on the website or on the stitcher app), he talks a lot about strange things. He is also very appropriate, no swearing or sex stuff (which are the biggest things we avoid for our kids), he just talks about different topics and he's pretty conservative, but really questions things. On the stitcher app, and I think on the website if you click on listen on the cloud or something like that, you can choose podcasts of previous shows.

And Devil's Triangle in Alaska.

And America's Stonehenge is in NH ;). I live in NH and keep saying we should go, but it looks pretty boring, lol.

What about things like JFKs assassination and/or 911 being "inside jobs"?
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM

I'll check him out! Thanks!

I knew there was an American Stonehenge, I couldn't remember where it was. If I remember correctly it is in the woods or a Forrest?

I never heard of the devil's triangle in Alaska! Sounds interesting!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Finally remembered to talk to DH...he says you should listen to Clyde Lewis (groundzeromedia.org...you can listen on the website or on the stitcher app), he talks a lot about strange things. He is also very appropriate, no swearing or sex stuff (which are the biggest things we avoid for our kids), he just talks about different topics and he's pretty conservative, but really questions things. On the stitcher app, and I think on the website if you click on listen on the cloud or something like that, you can choose podcasts of previous shows.

And America's Stonehenge is in NH ;). I live in NH and keep saying we should go, but it looks pretty boring, lol.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 9, 2013 at 8:55 AM
1 mom liked this

It is in a wooded area!  We looked at going, but it is kind of pricey to go look at some stones and I think alpacas ;)

I think devil's triangle is like the bermuda triangle.  I remember watching part of a show with DH, it's a show where this group of I think three people, a blond lady, an older guy (that reminds me of the priceline commercial guy...can't think of his name) and a younger guy...they go around looking at the weird stuff and trying to solve the mysteries...probably a good show to watch, I will have to see if I can figure out the name of it because this rambling paragraph is probably fairly useless to you, lol.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I'll check him out! Thanks!

I knew there was an American Stonehenge, I couldn't remember where it was. If I remember correctly it is in the woods or a Forrest?

I never heard of the devil's triangle in Alaska! Sounds interesting!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Finally remembered to talk to DH...he says you should listen to Clyde Lewis (groundzeromedia.org...you can listen on the website or on the stitcher app), he talks a lot about strange things. He is also very appropriate, no swearing or sex stuff (which are the biggest things we avoid for our kids), he just talks about different topics and he's pretty conservative, but really questions things. On the stitcher app, and I think on the website if you click on listen on the cloud or something like that, you can choose podcasts of previous shows.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Don't know if anyone's said it but:

Bermuda Triangle

coala
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 3:28 PM

I second this one....super intriguing for me.

Quoting debramommyof4:

The Burmuda Triangle

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)