Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How Can I Get Better Grades? Helped my children and myself.

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM
  • 3 Replies
1 mom liked this

Very helpful information for all to benefit from if your child asks you this or you see them struggling with their grades.

Think positive! Don’t set yourself up for disaster by thinking that you’re simply not capable of improving. When beset with negative thoughts about your abilities, replace them with positive thoughts. For example, when people (perhaps unjustifiably) criticized the apostle Paul’s speaking ability, he replied: “Even if I am unskilled in speech, I certainly am not in knowledge.” (2 Corinthians 10:10; 11:6) Paul was aware of his weaknesses. But he also knew his strengths. What about you? What are your strengths? If you can’t think of them, why not ask a supportive adult? Such a friend can help you to identify your strengths and to make the most of them.

Cultivate good study habits. There’s no shortcut to success at school. Sooner or later, you have to study. Granted, that very word might have an unpleasant ring to it. However, study is beneficial. In fact, with a little effort, you may find it enjoyable. To cultivate good study habits, though, you will need to organize your time. Remember—study should be a priority. True, the Bible says that there’s “a time to laugh” and “a time to skip about.” (Ecclesiastes 3:1, 4; 11:9) So, like most youths, you probably want to leave some time for recreation. But Ecclesiastes 11:4 warns: “He that is watching the wind will not sow seed; and he that is looking at the clouds will not reap.” The lesson? Don’t procrastinate. You won’t get important work done. Study first, play second. Don’t worry—you can find time for both!

A boy lifting weights

Just as lifting weights can build your muscle, good study habits can strengthen your performance at school.

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 7:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I love the statement ... "There is no shortcut to school".
Something I started teaching towards when my kids were younger. When They thought that taking a shortcut would be the answer, they found they ended up doing double the work.
jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM
Think positive is my favorite part. One of my favorite sayings for my children is attitude is everything. Our internal talk is a sure fire way to set us up to succeed or fail. Thinking positive is so hard to do.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Quote:

Don’t procrastinate. You won’t get important work done. Study first, play second. Don’t worry—you can find time for both!

My favorite part!  You CAN find time for both.  Homeschooling has given us much more time to do it all and the boys are above grade level in everything, so I know I'm doing the right thing by giving them that time for fun.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN