Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finished our first night of advent....

Posted by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
  • 27 Replies
2 moms liked this

It was pretty un-conventional, but the boys had a great time.  We lit the first candle, sang the advent candle (first verse), read a story called One Snowy Night, and played the santa snow globe (santa and Mrs. Claus kiss and dance around making the snow keep twirling).  Zave thought it was strange because there's no wreath until next week.  Levi thought it was better than the one at Church because he understood this one.  We talked all about what Advent means and why we do it.  I'm so excited to enjoy this time of year with the kids.

What are you ladies doing for the winter holidays?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We are going to follow the Good Morning Girls Children's Advent Lessons.  We are going to do it after dinner which I am cooking now.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:56 PM

I wished I had started Advent traditions when my kids were little, but I'd never really heard of it till a couple of years ago. I grew up in a Christian home, so I don't know why I didn't know anything about it.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves. :) I love when we can enjoy life.
Do you go through all the ceremonies up until the 24th?
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I wished I had started Advent traditions when my kids were little, but I'd never really heard of it till a couple of years ago. I grew up in a Christian home, so I don't know why I didn't know anything about it.

Advent wreaths are a German tradition, so if you aren't of German descent it is less likely that you had an advent wreath or calendar. 

We've had advent wreaths all my life.  My mom had a very special tiny wreath with angels that spun around the top when you lit enough of the candles (I think the third week?)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kirbymom: Sounds like everyone enjoyed themselves. :) I love when we can enjoy life.
Do you go through all the ceremonies up until the 24th?

We follow the German tradition's ceremonies (my mother had a name for it, I'll have to ask her, I think it was something like Heidlebritton?).  So we light a candle each Sunday evening, we open an advent window in our calendar every day and look up the verse to read together, and we focus on the crafts-cookies-decorating-and making gifts.  

Last night (and the rest of this week) is all about Hope.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting debramommyof4:

We are going to follow the Good Morning Girls Children's Advent Lessons.  We are going to do it after dinner which I am cooking now.

What does it list for the meaning of the weeks?  We have always followed the tradition Week 1 Hope, Week 2 Peace, Week 3 Love, Week 4 Joy.  But I read this year when I was looking up the song that some people do the people: Shepherds, Wise Men, Mary, and the Angels.  I had never heard of that before.  What is your tradition?

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:02 PM
This is our first year doing an actual advent besides at church and the guide I got follows Hope, Peace, Love, Joy. That's how our churches in the past have done it as well.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting debramommyof4:

What does it list for the meaning of the weeks?  We have always followed the tradition Week 1 Hope, Week 2 Peace, Week 3 Love, Week 4 Joy.  But I read this year when I was looking up the song that some people do the people: Shepherds, Wise Men, Mary, and the Angels.  I had never heard of that before.  What is your tradition?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Sounds pretty normal to me. 8) We do Advent in church. Since I teach the Sunday school class we don't do a repeat lesson at home, though. LOL

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Quoting mem82:

Sounds pretty normal to me. 8) We do Advent in church. Since I teach the Sunday school class we don't do a repeat lesson at home, though. LOL

I've found our Church a bit lacking in the Why department.  Our first year there (DS was 1 and does not remember it at all) each week there was a story in Sunday School that was child-centered that fit the week, then there was the lighting of the candle in the service along with a story that centered around the theme that everyone could enjoy.  Then in the service they explained the Christmons on the tree (about 4 shapes per week).  And we sang the song.  (That one is from my childhood and I LOVE it!!)  But they haven't done a lot of that since then.  My oldet asked me what "Advent" meant.  So I decided since we are taking this month "off" anyway, that we would focus on it.  I was really shocked that the Sunday School lessons are focussing on the Fruits of the Spirit.  Dude, it's Advent!  The darn lessons nearly write themselves, ya know?

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:44 PM

We started our Jesse Tree last night, and wouldn't you know it, I'm out of freaking Advent candles.  Who runs out of those things?  Oh, that's right, me, every freaking year.  :(  I must buy some!!!!

We have an Advent calendar made of wood whose doors open, so we fill that with things we want the kids to do/work on/focus on.  Today they get to make cookies (oh no, wait, we're missing ingredients...I'm sensing a theme), tomorrow it's angel crafts.  Oh, how I wanted to avoid that one, but Bill's filling the calendar this year.  We fill it with talking to people about their favorite parts, calling relatives, writing letters, making cookies for someone else, etc.

Fruits of the Spirit.  Isn't that more a Pentecost kinda thing?  Like 4 or 5 months from now?  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN