Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finished our first night of advent....

Posted by   + Show Post

It was pretty un-conventional, but the boys had a great time.  We lit the first candle, sang the advent candle (first verse), read a story called One Snowy Night, and played the santa snow globe (santa and Mrs. Claus kiss and dance around making the snow keep twirling).  Zave thought it was strange because there's no wreath until next week.  Levi thought it was better than the one at Church because he understood this one.  We talked all about what Advent means and why we do it.  I'm so excited to enjoy this time of year with the kids.

What are you ladies doing for the winter holidays?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (11-20):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:11 PM

We usually just do a count down calender to Christmas.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Quoting hwblyf:

We started our Jesse Tree last night, and wouldn't you know it, I'm out of freaking Advent candles.  Who runs out of those things?  Oh, that's right, me, every freaking year.  :(  I must buy some!!!!

We have an Advent calendar made of wood whose doors open, so we fill that with things we want the kids to do/work on/focus on.  Today they get to make cookies (oh no, wait, we're missing ingredients...I'm sensing a theme), tomorrow it's angel crafts.  Oh, how I wanted to avoid that one, but Bill's filling the calendar this year.  We fill it with talking to people about their favorite parts, calling relatives, writing letters, making cookies for someone else, etc.

Fruits of the Spirit.  Isn't that more a Pentecost kinda thing?  Like 4 or 5 months from now?  :)

You had me laughing!!!  We have an advent calendar that has little drawers, but they are tiny!!  So we stopped putting candy and toys in them and just put in a Bible verse and the name of a story to read or an activity to do.  All the Advent activities are supposed to aim at bringing them back to what the season is all about instead of all the commercial cr@p.  You know, it must work because I didn't hear a single "can I get a_____ for Christmas" all day!  Woot!

That's what I said!!  We covered fruits of the Spirit last spring with these exact same kids.  Makes me scratch my head.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Those are cool!  Do you do the ones with candy, scriptures, toys, or activities?

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:29 PM

No we made one out of poster board years ago & put the numbers on index cards to be pulled off each day!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

Those are cool!  Do you do the ones with candy, scriptures, toys, or activities?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 4:30 PM

Cool!  We do something like that for our vacation at the beach each summer.

Quoting usmom3:

No we made one out of poster board years ago & put the numbers on index cards to be pulled off each day!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting usmom3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I'm going to sound pretty dumb here,lol, but what is Advent?

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Quoting paganbaby:

Advent is the four Sundays leading up to Christmas.  It is the awaiting of the birth.  Christians often celebrate it by lighting candles and reading scriptures that prepare for the Christmas holiday.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:35 PM

I've actually never put chocolate or toys in it, just activities to do.  We have books we read daily that give us the scripture verses to read.  Oh, and I got my Advent candles today.  :)  And yummy bread to eat with my dinner.  :)

You would think packaged curriculum, which I know our church uses, would actually plan things out to go with the liturgical year.  But ours seemed to fumble.  They had ordinary year activities down well, but Advent and Lent and any holy day was relegated to the back of the book.  It's so a catechist can arrange their schedule without being dependent on their calendar and such, but it can kinda be a pain.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

We started our Jesse Tree last night, and wouldn't you know it, I'm out of freaking Advent candles.  Who runs out of those things?  Oh, that's right, me, every freaking year.  :(  I must buy some!!!!

We have an Advent calendar made of wood whose doors open, so we fill that with things we want the kids to do/work on/focus on.  Today they get to make cookies (oh no, wait, we're missing ingredients...I'm sensing a theme), tomorrow it's angel crafts.  Oh, how I wanted to avoid that one, but Bill's filling the calendar this year.  We fill it with talking to people about their favorite parts, calling relatives, writing letters, making cookies for someone else, etc.

Fruits of the Spirit.  Isn't that more a Pentecost kinda thing?  Like 4 or 5 months from now?  :)

You had me laughing!!!  We have an advent calendar that has little drawers, but they are tiny!!  So we stopped putting candy and toys in them and just put in a Bible verse and the name of a story to read or an activity to do.  All the Advent activities are supposed to aim at bringing them back to what the season is all about instead of all the commercial cr@p.  You know, it must work because I didn't hear a single "can I get a_____ for Christmas" all day!  Woot!

That's what I said!!  We covered fruits of the Spirit last spring with these exact same kids.  Makes me scratch my head.  

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

Advent is the four Sundays leading up to Christmas.  It is the awaiting of the birth.  Christians often celebrate it by lighting candles and reading scriptures that prepare for the Christmas holiday.

Oh I remember now! We used to drive down this street and see the life sized manger scenes.nativity

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Our church has been fumbling here and there too.  They had a lesson about the upper room in the middle of the summer and Zaccheus in summer too.  I'm not sure what's up with it, so I'll just do it here on our own.

Quoting hwblyf:

I've actually never put chocolate or toys in it, just activities to do.  We have books we read daily that give us the scripture verses to read.  Oh, and I got my Advent candles today.  :)  And yummy bread to eat with my dinner.  :)

You would think packaged curriculum, which I know our church uses, would actually plan things out to go with the liturgical year.  But ours seemed to fumble.  They had ordinary year activities down well, but Advent and Lent and any holy day was relegated to the back of the book.  It's so a catechist can arrange their schedule without being dependent on their calendar and such, but it can kinda be a pain.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)