Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finished our first night of advent....

Posted by   + Show Post

It was pretty un-conventional, but the boys had a great time.  We lit the first candle, sang the advent candle (first verse), read a story called One Snowy Night, and played the santa snow globe (santa and Mrs. Claus kiss and dance around making the snow keep twirling).  Zave thought it was strange because there's no wreath until next week.  Levi thought it was better than the one at Church because he understood this one.  We talked all about what Advent means and why we do it.  I'm so excited to enjoy this time of year with the kids.

What are you ladies doing for the winter holidays?

by on Dec. 1, 2013 at 9:17 PM
Replies (21-27):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm going to sound pretty dumb here,lol, but what is Advent?

Advent is the four Sundays leading up to Christmas.  It is the awaiting of the birth.  Christians often celebrate it by lighting candles and reading scriptures that prepare for the Christmas holiday.

Oh I remember now! We used to drive down this street and see the life sized manger scenes.nativity

Ohh....I love the live Nativities!  

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Yeah, we left the religious ed program at our church a couple years ago and I homeschool their lessons for that as well.  The socialization would be nice, but it's only twice a month and I don't feel it's a strong program so I think our time is better spent elsewhere.  Makes me sad.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our church has been fumbling here and there too.  They had a lesson about the upper room in the middle of the summer and Zaccheus in summer too.  I'm not sure what's up with it, so I'll just do it here on our own.

Quoting hwblyf:

I've actually never put chocolate or toys in it, just activities to do.  We have books we read daily that give us the scripture verses to read.  Oh, and I got my Advent candles today.  :)  And yummy bread to eat with my dinner.  :)

You would think packaged curriculum, which I know our church uses, would actually plan things out to go with the liturgical year.  But ours seemed to fumble.  They had ordinary year activities down well, but Advent and Lent and any holy day was relegated to the back of the book.  It's so a catechist can arrange their schedule without being dependent on their calendar and such, but it can kinda be a pain.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

We started our Jesse Tree last night, and wouldn't you know it, I'm out of freaking Advent candles.  Who runs out of those things?  Oh, that's right, me, every freaking year.  :(  I must buy some!!!!

We have an Advent calendar made of wood whose doors open, so we fill that with things we want the kids to do/work on/focus on.  Today they get to make cookies (oh no, wait, we're missing ingredients...I'm sensing a theme), tomorrow it's angel crafts.  Oh, how I wanted to avoid that one, but Bill's filling the calendar this year.  We fill it with talking to people about their favorite parts, calling relatives, writing letters, making cookies for someone else, etc.

Fruits of the Spirit.  Isn't that more a Pentecost kinda thing?  Like 4 or 5 months from now?  :)

You had me laughing!!!  We have an advent calendar that has little drawers, but they are tiny!!  So we stopped putting candy and toys in them and just put in a Bible verse and the name of a story to read or an activity to do.  All the Advent activities are supposed to aim at bringing them back to what the season is all about instead of all the commercial cr@p.  You know, it must work because I didn't hear a single "can I get a_____ for Christmas" all day!  Woot!

That's what I said!!  We covered fruits of the Spirit last spring with these exact same kids.  Makes me scratch my head.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM

I'd like the boys to stay in the program.  Most of their old friends from PS still keep in touch that way, but our time might be better spent elsewhere.  Plus, I'm on the board at our church, so I feel more obligated.  But it also makes me feel more obligated to call them on the slippage.

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, we left the religious ed program at our church a couple years ago and I homeschool their lessons for that as well.  The socialization would be nice, but it's only twice a month and I don't feel it's a strong program so I think our time is better spent elsewhere.  Makes me sad.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Our church has been fumbling here and there too.  They had a lesson about the upper room in the middle of the summer and Zaccheus in summer too.  I'm not sure what's up with it, so I'll just do it here on our own.

Quoting hwblyf:

I've actually never put chocolate or toys in it, just activities to do.  We have books we read daily that give us the scripture verses to read.  Oh, and I got my Advent candles today.  :)  And yummy bread to eat with my dinner.  :)

You would think packaged curriculum, which I know our church uses, would actually plan things out to go with the liturgical year.  But ours seemed to fumble.  They had ordinary year activities down well, but Advent and Lent and any holy day was relegated to the back of the book.  It's so a catechist can arrange their schedule without being dependent on their calendar and such, but it can kinda be a pain.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

We started our Jesse Tree last night, and wouldn't you know it, I'm out of freaking Advent candles.  Who runs out of those things?  Oh, that's right, me, every freaking year.  :(  I must buy some!!!!

We have an Advent calendar made of wood whose doors open, so we fill that with things we want the kids to do/work on/focus on.  Today they get to make cookies (oh no, wait, we're missing ingredients...I'm sensing a theme), tomorrow it's angel crafts.  Oh, how I wanted to avoid that one, but Bill's filling the calendar this year.  We fill it with talking to people about their favorite parts, calling relatives, writing letters, making cookies for someone else, etc.

Fruits of the Spirit.  Isn't that more a Pentecost kinda thing?  Like 4 or 5 months from now?  :)

You had me laughing!!!  We have an advent calendar that has little drawers, but they are tiny!!  So we stopped putting candy and toys in them and just put in a Bible verse and the name of a story to read or an activity to do.  All the Advent activities are supposed to aim at bringing them back to what the season is all about instead of all the commercial cr@p.  You know, it must work because I didn't hear a single "can I get a_____ for Christmas" all day!  Woot!

That's what I said!!  We covered fruits of the Spirit last spring with these exact same kids.  Makes me scratch my head.  

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I would have liked to stay, and I would have if they had kept the program every week.  But I feel it's a weak program anyway, and there's an attitude of "it's the parents' responsibility to train up their child."  It became more of a place to put your child for an hour twice a month instead of a real building program and a community support thing.  I just really grew to have serious problems with it.  What bothers me even more is that our teen program is amazingly active.  Run by the same people.  Which tells me where their hearts truly are, because the younger children's program is LAME.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'd like the boys to stay in the program.  Most of their old friends from PS still keep in touch that way, but our time might be better spent elsewhere.  Plus, I'm on the board at our church, so I feel more obligated.  But it also makes me feel more obligated to call them on the slippage.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:40 AM

See our program is also run by the teen leader's family.  Both programs are doing amazing things, but the lessons are not there.  They are running Relay for Life, having Dance-a-thons, had a Run/Walk for autism, packed boxes for Samaritan's Purse, volunteered at the local soup kitchen, collect items for the food pantry and on and on.  All great things, so wwe'll stay for those.  Plus they have a party twice a month with crafts, games, supper, fellowship and just being together.  So it does do something for the kids.

Quoting hwblyf:

I would have liked to stay, and I would have if they had kept the program every week.  But I feel it's a weak program anyway, and there's an attitude of "it's the parents' responsibility to train up their child."  It became more of a place to put your child for an hour twice a month instead of a real building program and a community support thing.  I just really grew to have serious problems with it.  What bothers me even more is that our teen program is amazingly active.  Run by the same people.  Which tells me where their hearts truly are, because the younger children's program is LAME.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Our church is trying, but I see the enthusiasm and love more for the teens.  I've heard our RE director express a wee bit of contempt for parents, which could explain her affinity for the teens--you just drop a teen off, you don't stay, so she doesn't have to deal with them.  Not that you deal with parents with the younger kids, cuz they just drop them off, but the teens don't require teachers.  The little kids' program fell to twice a month because teachers were getting burned out.  So instead of trying for a more robust program, with family activities and more community, which is what I'd like, we fell back.  And I understand, what can you do without the volunteers?  But I think there could be more done to support parents, support teachers, and get a full swinging program going.  Like I said, I view what they do now as lame, a mere shadow of what could be done.  Yours sounds like they've got the activities, but their scheduling of lessons could be better to coincide with what's going on in the actual church.  Redundancy between lessons and services is a great thing.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

See our program is also run by the teen leader's family.  Both programs are doing amazing things, but the lessons are not there.  They are running Relay for Life, having Dance-a-thons, had a Run/Walk for autism, packed boxes for Samaritan's Purse, volunteered at the local soup kitchen, collect items for the food pantry and on and on.  All great things, so wwe'll stay for those.  Plus they have a party twice a month with crafts, games, supper, fellowship and just being together.  So it does do something for the kids.

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:19 PM
1 mom liked this

We got the parents to volunteer as the teachers for Junior Church (which is actually a concept I disagree with fully, I think the kids should be in the church not having a lesson of their own).  I teach the Jr Church every 7 weeks, so we aren't too burned out.  But I think we could do better by doing a lesson during the week every week instead of taking them out of the sermon.  Yes their activities are awesome, but I agree they should try to line the lessons up with the liturgical calendar a bit better.  

Quoting hwblyf:

Our church is trying, but I see the enthusiasm and love more for the teens.  I've heard our RE director express a wee bit of contempt for parents, which could explain her affinity for the teens--you just drop a teen off, you don't stay, so she doesn't have to deal with them.  Not that you deal with parents with the younger kids, cuz they just drop them off, but the teens don't require teachers.  The little kids' program fell to twice a month because teachers were getting burned out.  So instead of trying for a more robust program, with family activities and more community, which is what I'd like, we fell back.  And I understand, what can you do without the volunteers?  But I think there could be more done to support parents, support teachers, and get a full swinging program going.  Like I said, I view what they do now as lame, a mere shadow of what could be done.  Yours sounds like they've got the activities, but their scheduling of lessons could be better to coincide with what's going on in the actual church.  Redundancy between lessons and services is a great thing.  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)