Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

you'll probably think I'm terribly inappropriate...

Posted by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

but my ds never fixes his mistakes! He will just scribble over stuff or x stuff out ot leave things all wrong and not care. 

I recall back in kindergarten in PS, I went in and volunteered and the teacher would break all the erasers off of the pencils because she felt that kids didn't make "mistakes" and they didn't need to be concerened about perfect papers or spelling, etc. at their ages. Ok, I kinda get the idea... but ds was a kid who wanted to fix it if it was sloppy or wrong and got really frustrated and would crumple up his papers and throw them out. Of course, we then proceeded to have multiple conference with the teacher about his outbursts! Hmm, maybe some kids *want* an eraser???

Fast forward to messy letters, misspelled words, trying to teach cursive, making numbers line up in math, going back and putting in caps and periods, etc. And I've been spending tons of time making him fix stuff. I sit here with the eraser and have to erase behind him and make him fix it!

so, I remembered this old SNL skit and had him watch it. He thought it was hillarious!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR_5QFZ-kbk

by on Dec. 2, 2013 at 12:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

The thing with throwing away the erasers is to get them over that hump of if it's not perfect, it's gone.  Get it done.  I totally understand it.  Imagine 13 million crumpled pieces of paper, or paper that's erased so much there are holes all over it.  Now multiply that by a whole classroom.  Sometimes it's hard to get anything done when they're in that perfectionist stage.  I also have a son who now will just scribble through things, but that's not because of his kindergartener teacher's insistence that they focus on getting their ideas down and look beyond their imperfections.  It's because he's freaking lazy.  And stubborn.  And it's just plain easier.  It's good you're taking the time to make him fix things, but trust me, this would probably still be happening even without that experience of no erasers in kindergarten!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol, I love that SNL skit :-)

I don't understand throwing away the erasers.  Sure they need to understand that a mistake on your paper isn't the end of the world, but they also need to be able to recognize it, and when they do be given the option to fix it.  There seems to be too many people out there that can't recognize when they make a mistake, or that refuse to.

If they don't recognize their mistake then sure, letting them complete their work and showing them their mistakes afterwards so they can correct it is far better than giving them a sticker, a pat on the back and telling them they did a perfect job.  It's just teaching the child how to cope with their mistakes.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I don't see the marking through the wrong thing & writing the right thing off to the side as that big of a deal on worksheets! If it was a book report or an essay you would expect him to fix everything & then make a final copy with no mistakes!  

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 2, 2013 at 7:34 PM

This. My rough drafts always looked awful. Scribbled on, marked through, ect. But when it came to the final draft, you bet it was neat :-)

Quoting usmom3:

I don't see the marking through the wrong thing & writing the right thing off to the side as that big of a deal on worksheets! If it was a book report or an essay you would expect him to fix everything & then make a final copy with no mistakes!  

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM
This is true.
But, I have always liked a smart clean looking paper. Even as a child. Lol A perfectionist, I'm not though. Far from it really. :)

Quoting usmom3:

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:04 AM

i know it wasn't really the K teacher and her no eraser rule. But at this point, he should have ledgible letters and numbers!!

He's made amazing progress! In Sept his writing looked like a first grader. Now he's got print and cursive down pretty well!

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Love that skit!  We do messy rough drafts, then nice, neat finals.

My oldest is working on her cursive right along with her younger sister.  She always had great handwriting until last year, but the teacher rushed through everything and now there are times she can't even tell what she wrote, lol!  

Sounds like your son is making wonderful progress.  There's nothing better than school in a Santa hat!

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I really feel like Oscar Rogers sometimes, especially when I am subjected to the traffic and wonky infrastructure of other cities. LOL!
LO is a perfectionist. The letter K is giving him fits because he cannot write it perfectly, so we have endured some epic crises of late. Holes in paper, pencil tips snapping, erasers rubbed right out of their pencil-top perches; all combine to get his temper hopping up the thermometer in a hurry. *sigh*
JATomlinson
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Lol well now that I've watched the skit (and lol'd) I can just imagine you sitting there screaming at him, "FIX IT!"  LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)