Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Maps

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM
  • 17 Replies

My grandmother-in-law (that's a mouthful...) is a retired ...I guess secratary... from a private school. The school was updating some of their classroom things like wall maps and curriculum and she quick grabbed the maps and sent them our way. Its nice to have them, and I'm excited to have maps that don't require a magnify glass to see the details lol, but I have no where to put them :( We have one blank wall, and they're still retractable...but there are 4 maps total and they're HUGE.... any suggestions how I can hang them up?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:25 AM

That sounds awesome, but I'm no help at all.  Post pics when you've got it figured out!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 11:42 AM
1 mom liked this

What about over a window?  You often need to stop the glare from the windows to see those types of maps clearly anyhow, so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:31 PM

This is a good ideal, I was thinking hang them from the ceiling!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

What about over a window?  You often need to stop the glare from the windows to see those types of maps clearly anyhow, so you kill 2 birds with one stone.

katyq
by Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Hang them from the ceiling and unfurl them as needed :)

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Didn't think about hanging it from the ceiling...will have to see if hubby approves on that one :)
I don't have a window in the school area to put it over, but that is a good idea :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 3, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Honestly, as great as free maps are, are they outdated? The world has changed so much in the last 15 years, you may be doing your kids a disservice by using them.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I'm no help either but I'd love to see pics.

Quoting hwblyf:

That sounds awesome, but I'm no help at all.  Post pics when you've got it figured out!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2013 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Honestly, as great as free maps are, are they outdated? The world has changed so much in the last 15 years, you may be doing your kids a disservice by using them.

I have a 25 year old globe that we use a whole lot.  It can be really great to show why Africa is in such an uproar by showing them just how much it has changed over the last 25 years.  Plus a lot of those maps are historical.  That was my assumption anyway.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 3, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I get the historical value, but it is just something to think about if teaching current geography

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I have a 25 year old globe that we use a whole lot.  It can be really great to show why Africa is in such an uproar by showing them just how much it has changed over the last 25 years.  Plus a lot of those maps are historical.  That was my assumption anyway.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:25 AM

I don't know how big they are, but I had some fairly large maps that I had laminated in a stiff plastic. This makes them easy to store without worry about damaging them. Plus, I can use a marker or stick notes on the maps.

When my kids were younger; I had bought these wooden characters that represented people from all over the world (Montessori inspired)- and I bought little animals. The kids could play and/or match them up to the correct areas of the world.  

You could also cut up one of the maps, laminate each continent, and have a smaller handier version that kids might like to use. Maybe make place mats out of each continent.

I don't have the extra space that we would want to use as just a "school room". Plus, my kids didn't want to do school like that. Therefore, we didn't wish to keep any school related stuff up on any walls in the house. So, I have been using a large chalkboard that rolls to whichever room. I also have an art easel. Both of these work well for me to use for rigging charts and maps for display (as we need them). 

However, if I wanted to hang up stuff and only had limited wall space; I would likely utilize one wall to rig up some sort of hanging device so that I could change out charts and maps as needed.

I thought I saw something awhile back... a long strip that went along the wall. It was basically a track with clips in it, and the clips could slide to whatever distance that you needed them. 

I would bet that there are some clever ideas on Pinterest.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN