Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Treating ADHD without medication

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM
  • 16 Replies

My daughter likely has ADHD but the doctor will not medicate due to other health concerns. For those of you  homeschooling a child with ADHD, how do you do it? We've discovered that she can do very well if she's in a situation with no distractions, but how do you do that?

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:37 AM
Try Rhythmic Movements Training. We also use herbal supplements called, Herbs For Kids. You can get it from Amazon.
celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:35 AM

My kids and I were diagnosed with ADHD. None of us are medicated for it. At least from my experience, they don't seem as quick to medicate as people seem to think.

As a person with ADHD and as someone who is already very health conscious; I knew there was no way diet alone was enough.

We have a family counselor that has given us really good suggestions specific to where our trouble spots are - I think this has been the best solution for my family.

Where does your daughter fall with her ADHD? 

Combined Presentation: if enough symptoms of both criteria inattention and hyperactivity-impulsivity 

Predominantly Inattentive Presentation: if enough symptoms of inattention, but not hyperactivity-impulsivity

Predominantly Hyperactive-Impulsive Presentation: if enough symptoms of hyperactivity-impulsivity but not inattention were present

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/diagnosis.html 

There is also a sliding scale of intensity.

I don't know what to suggest with school because you didnt give any specific issues. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:41 AM
I'm sure a doctor would medicate my son but I think he just need to mature a bit more so I'm not sure how helpful I will be to you. We make sure Cole has a solid breakfast because that makes a huge difference. We also have him work standing up and we do lots of hands on activities.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 6:43 AM
Also, we keep everything on schedule. The moment we get out of pace is the moment Cole loses focus and then it's hard getting it back.
PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Is there anything you can use for calming in those difficult times?

Does she sleep well? 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:01 AM

We aim at sleep and diet because having no distractions is nearly impossible with 2 other boys in the house.  For sleep we keep a strict routine and schedule for sleep.  And for mind calming at bed time we play instrumental, classical music and burn a candle for him to stare at until sleep comes.  It is almost like putting him into a trance.

For diet, we have eliminated all High Fructose Corn Syrup, all white flour, and nearly all table sugar (we use agave, honey, and maple sugars along with some Stevia).  He needs a solid high protein/high fiber breakfast.  We make oatmeal (using milk instead of water) and sweeten it with whole fruit and top it with nuts or have a side of eggs.  Or we make Quinoa (cooking it like oatmeal).  Or WhWh toast and eggs.  Then he needs a snack around 10 (we eat breakfast around 7) again high fiber and high protein.  Meals and snacks are also highly scheduled.  

We take a break after every single lesson or have a lesson that is highly active after every lesson that is sitting and waiting.  He bounces on an exercise ball for the sitting "still" lessons.  The only true sitting still lesson is when he is practicing his handwriting.

Lately someone suggested a relaxation bottle and that has been a help this past month or so.  http://mycrazyblessedlife.com/2011/10/03/relax-bottletime-out-timer/

Molimomma
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

There are several essential oils you could put in a diffuser in the room where she does her work that can help with focus and/or calming. We use eucalyptus oil and lavender in my house but there are companies that do mixtures as well.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Schedules help my oldest daughter who has ADHD (more of the mental focus end of the spectrum of ADHD) but it seems to hinder my son who has ADHD (more of the physical activity end of the spectrum). 

I have noticed that what helps one person with ADHD, can be quite the aggravation to someone else with ADHD. 

Quoting mem82: Also, we keep everything on schedule. The moment we get out of pace is the moment Cole loses focus and then it's hard getting it back.

TatyBear
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Mine is non medicated but is in public school. Im schooling my youngest when she starts.

But my DD works better with music on. She listens to her ipod while doing her homework. If not all the distractions around the house make her loose focus. But the music on with headphones she can sing and concentrate with no problems and her school allows it in class for her to concentrate as well.

I'm ADHD as well and grew up unmedicated and the same method worked for myself and I'm still the same. If I need to do any kind of work I need music to help me think and concentrate better.

I tried diet change for 2 years and saw no results. For my DD.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

We have always eaten the same but I have always been curious if people who altered the diets saw a difference - how much so and in what ways. 

That timeout bottle idea for younger kids is so cute. Mine are too old for that purpose but I like the idea of using it as something for my son to do during reading time. It would have distracted my oldest daughter had I used that same technique with her.

I tried that bouncing ball idea awhile back. It seemed to encourage the behavior that I was trying to steer away from. Our family counselor helped us to come up with strategies that would help immediately and in the long term. We have certain times when it is time to release the energy freely and other times when it is time to try and restrain them (which is basically what everyone has to do).

I forgot to mention it, but Mandy hit on it, limiting any kind of media helps in my house a GREAT deal!!! We try to have a lot activities that require mental focus. Whether it is puzzles, games, cooking / baking, arts and crafts, sewing, knitting, gardening... The kids have times for unwinding their minds as well - especially before bed. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We aim at sleep and diet because having no distractions is nearly impossible with 2 other boys in the house.  For sleep we keep a strict routine and schedule for sleep.  And for mind calming at bed time we play instrumental, classical music and burn a candle for him to stare at until sleep comes.  It is almost like putting him into a trance.

For diet, we have eliminated all High Fructose Corn Syrup, all white flour, and nearly all table sugar (we use agave, honey, and maple sugars along with some Stevia).  He needs a solid high protein/high fiber breakfast.  We make oatmeal (using milk instead of water) and sweeten it with whole fruit and top it with nuts or have a side of eggs.  Or we make Quinoa (cooking it like oatmeal).  Or WhWh toast and eggs.  Then he needs a snack around 10 (we eat breakfast around 7) again high fiber and high protein.  Meals and snacks are also highly scheduled.  

We take a break after every single lesson or have a lesson that is highly active after every lesson that is sitting and waiting.  He bounces on an exercise ball for the sitting "still" lessons.  The only true sitting still lesson is when he is practicing his handwriting.

Lately someone suggested a relaxation bottle and that has been a help this past month or so.  http://mycrazyblessedlife.com/2011/10/03/relax-bottletime-out-timer/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)