Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Treating ADHD without medication

Posted by   + Show Post

My daughter likely has ADHD but the doctor will not medicate due to other health concerns. For those of you  homeschooling a child with ADHD, how do you do it? We've discovered that she can do very well if she's in a situation with no distractions, but how do you do that?

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 1:49 AM
Replies (11-16):
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:22 AM

if my ds has adhd, it would definatley be the inattentive type. We're all actually kind of lazy when it comes to physical activity. But even still, I find vigoruous exercise and loarge motor activites first in teh day help a lot with focus later. We have things liek the bar that goes across the doorway for pull ups, some exercise bands that they can play with, a large, sort of soft but still heavy medicine ball that we throw back and forth, a few free weights that they just play with - I dont' make them do specific exercises and numbers of reps. On warm days, we go out and run a mile or two.

good luck!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:56 AM

We noticed that when my youngest would come home from Grandma's or a church picnic where there were HFCS and white flour all around that he was less able to focus, wound up, less impulse control, unable to do a lot of the things I knew he was capable to do.  I had chalked it up to the excitement of the activities, but then we decided to take our own snack for him....the difference was amazing.  

Then we started making "big" breakfasts instead of just the go to cereal and toast with jelly.  Making sure he got enough protein and fiber really changed his behavior.  Longer focus, more concentration.

Mine is still too young to really start working on restraining his energy (he'll be 5 in a week).  He has just started recognizing that there are times when he has no impulse control.  He asks me to put certain things up because "tonight when I'm getting tired, I won't remember not to...."  

The bottle has been working to give me 5 minutes to get food on the table.  That's what we use it to do.  When it's getting close to suppertime he hears all the activity and wants to run in and see what's happen.  It can be dangerous when I'm cutting up the salad veggies or draining the boiling pasta.  So to sit him at the table with his jar and know he'll be safe for a couple minutes is invaluable!

Gentle bouncing and the muscle control needed to keep from falling off the ball is less distracting to the others than tapping his pencil or tapping his feet, so the ball was helpful there.  I also read a study a couple years ago about how the mind of very hyperactive ADHD kids can focus better if a section of the brain is concentrating on the muscle control to sit on the ball while the conscious mind focusses on the "mental work."  

Yeah, I forgot about no TV or computer or Wii until after school.  But music doesn't bother him.  In fact the right kinds of music can actually help him.  Techno (like the Chemical Brothers) or complex saxophone (like Kenny G) can get him to focus better by distracting the unconscious mind while the conscious mind works.

Quoting celticdragon77:

We have always eaten the same but I have always been curious if people who altered the diets saw a difference - how much so and in what ways. 

That timeout bottle idea for younger kids is so cute. Mine are too old for that purpose but I like the idea of using it as something for my son to do during reading time. It would have distracted my oldest daughter had I used that same technique with her.

I tried that bouncing ball idea awhile back. It seemed to encourage the behavior that I was trying to steer away from. Our family counselor helped us to come up with strategies that would help immediately and in the long term. We have certain times when it is time to release the energy freely and other times when it is time to try and restrain them (which is basically what everyone has to do).

I forgot to mention it, but Mandy hit on it, limiting any kind of media helps in my house a GREAT deal!!! We try to have a lot activities that require mental focus. Whether it is puzzles, games, cooking / baking, arts and crafts, sewing, knitting, gardening... The kids have times for unwinding their minds as well - especially before bed. 

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We aim at sleep and diet because having no distractions is nearly impossible with 2 other boys in the house.  For sleep we keep a strict routine and schedule for sleep.  And for mind calming at bed time we play instrumental, classical music and burn a candle for him to stare at until sleep comes.  It is almost like putting him into a trance.

For diet, we have eliminated all High Fructose Corn Syrup, all white flour, and nearly all table sugar (we use agave, honey, and maple sugars along with some Stevia).  He needs a solid high protein/high fiber breakfast.  We make oatmeal (using milk instead of water) and sweeten it with whole fruit and top it with nuts or have a side of eggs.  Or we make Quinoa (cooking it like oatmeal).  Or WhWh toast and eggs.  Then he needs a snack around 10 (we eat breakfast around 7) again high fiber and high protein.  Meals and snacks are also highly scheduled.  

We take a break after every single lesson or have a lesson that is highly active after every lesson that is sitting and waiting.  He bounces on an exercise ball for the sitting "still" lessons.  The only true sitting still lesson is when he is practicing his handwriting.

Lately someone suggested a relaxation bottle and that has been a help this past month or so.  http://mycrazyblessedlife.com/2011/10/03/relax-bottletime-out-timer/

JATomlinson
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM
My experience with ADHD is limited, but my mom and sisters have it and my cousin also had it. My mom and sisters drink caffeine drinks like caffeinated tea and the caffeine helps them focus rather than taking meds that have side effects. Also in the psychology courses at OIT they taught us that caffeine will help a child with ADHD focus just as well as taking medications. I don't know if caffeine is an option for her, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Lion Cub School - Making Smiles, Making Memories

> Check out our home school blog <

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM
These are awesome ideas! My dd is not diagnosed with anything, but I'm sure she could be. We are definitely making a relaxation bottle, maybe a few, as soon as I get to a craft store!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We aim at sleep and diet because having no distractions is nearly impossible with 2 other boys in the house.  For sleep we keep a strict routine and schedule for sleep.  And for mind calming at bed time we play instrumental, classical music and burn a candle for him to stare at until sleep comes.  It is almost like putting him into a trance.

For diet, we have eliminated all High Fructose Corn Syrup, all white flour, and nearly all table sugar (we use agave, honey, and maple sugars along with some Stevia).  He needs a solid high protein/high fiber breakfast.  We make oatmeal (using milk instead of water) and sweeten it with whole fruit and top it with nuts or have a side of eggs.  Or we make Quinoa (cooking it like oatmeal).  Or WhWh toast and eggs.  Then he needs a snack around 10 (we eat breakfast around 7) again high fiber and high protein.  Meals and snacks are also highly scheduled.  

We take a break after every single lesson or have a lesson that is highly active after every lesson that is sitting and waiting.  He bounces on an exercise ball for the sitting "still" lessons.  The only true sitting still lesson is when he is practicing his handwriting.

Lately someone suggested a relaxation bottle and that has been a help this past month or so.  http://mycrazyblessedlife.com/2011/10/03/relax-bottletime-out-timer/

letstalk747
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:38 AM

its not easy at all alot of redirecting and implementing academics into such a way to teach using things you  know they are interested in

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Definately make a few, ours is constantly in use.  It just settles and someone else walks by and shakes it! LOL

Quoting TJandKarasMom: These are awesome ideas! My dd is not diagnosed with anything, but I'm sure she could be. We are definitely making a relaxation bottle, maybe a few, as soon as I get to a craft store!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)