Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Mid year re-vamp! Who is changing things up soon?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM
  • 32 Replies
What is and isn't working?
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:46 AM
I think I've revamped about ten times since August lol. Right now I'm doing thematic units which has been fun and my 3 year old can do a lot of them too and feels more included. Next week we're doing Polar Express. I'm still doing a lot of learning about what he's interested in. Yesterday we planted seeds he got from church and that led to watching Brain Pop Jr clips and playing the games on plant life cycle and plant parts. I'm also doing more academics with my 3 year old ( fun stuff) because he's shown interest. At first all he did was steal pencils lol.
RheaF
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:51 AM

The only thing we are changing is our Bible curriculum. We were using Apologia's Who is God? series. However, DD is in third grade and DS is in kindergarten and they both got bored with it (to be honest, I did too). It is just too wordy for their ages. We are finishing the first book this week, then starting Positive Action for Christ's Bible curriculum. We will also be finishing Apologia's Astronomy this month, and will start Botany after our winter break.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:53 AM

I'm in need of a change.  I'm still figuring things out, though, so there's no new direction to follow yet.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM

I tossed the reading program to the side as soon as we finished it because the kids have that mastered. I am looking into hiring someone to help with math because my kids are moving super fast with it. The school was correct that they are advanced in this area and I want to make sure they are properly challenged. Everything else is on par. We took an unscheduled break because I am trying to gather up some new ideas. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I'm still unhappy with LA. I've got one that enjoys reading, so finding literature units should be easy. NO that's not the case at all. I've got her doing Island Of the Blue Dolphin lit study and she is hating it. I'm still in search of the perfect all in one language arts that combines literature study, writing, and proper usage and mechanics of speech. Its not to be found anywhere apparently. 

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:18 AM

That's awesome news about the math!

Quoting celticdragon77:

I tossed the reading program to the side as soon as we finished it because the kids have that mastered. I am looking into hiring someone to help with math because my kids are moving super fast with it. The school was correct that they are advanced in this area and I want to make sure they are properly challenged. Everything else is on par. We took an unscheduled break because I am trying to gather up some new ideas. 

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM

That is interesting. I am looking to add more aspects to our English curriculum now that we have more time to fill in. So I wouldn't mind keeping an eye out for something along those lines. 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I'm still unhappy with LA. I've got one that enjoys reading, so finding literature units should be easy. NO that's not the case at all. I've got her doing Island Of the Blue Dolphin lit study and she is hating it. I'm still in search of the perfect all in one language arts that combines literature study, writing, and proper usage and mechanics of speech. Its not to be found anywhere apparently. 

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM

We've been doing loads of book work, and are ahead in everything but science since I've been saving it for last each day.  We'll catch up on that before our Christmas break (starting on the 23rd). 

We have a cheap bulletin board coming today, so we'll actually get to make cool & fun displays on that & steer away from the books a little each day. 

We swapped out French for Latin.  It is much easier to teach (since I know how to pronounce everything!) plus covers grammar too, so is a two birds with one stone lesson each day.

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

What are you using for the Latin?

I have only ever entertained the idea of doing Latin with the kids. I would SO love to do it, but I am a bit unsure about it yet.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We've been doing loads of book work, and are ahead in everything but science since I've been saving it for last each day.  We'll catch up on that before our Christmas break (starting on the 23rd). 

We have a cheap bulletin board coming today, so we'll actually get to make cool & fun displays on that & steer away from the books a little each day. 

We swapped out French for Latin.  It is much easier to teach (since I know how to pronounce everything!) plus covers grammar too, so is a two birds with one stone lesson each day.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I'm using First Form Latin (Aimee recommended it, and I looked at the WTM boards and tons of reviews online).  It's good quality stuff, and covers everyday words like people, clothing, verbs (yelling, running, love), and nouns (horse, dog, bread, etc.)  It is from Memoria Press but I don't see anything that I'd consider religious.  The Latin word for Christ is in the back, but that's all I see as far as religion goes so far.  It has small history snippets about Virgil, Caesar, etc.  The secular Latin programs I looked at didn't seem like a good fit.

One reason I liked this program is because it uses Classical Pronounciation.  The alphabet has no j or w, and v is pronounced like w.  That's the way I learned, so it just meant less thinking on my part!  There are other programs that use Ecclesiastical Pronunciation.  The only letter missing is w, but v sounds like v.  There aren't that many differences between the two, and both are great.

I looked at Amazon, the homeschool co-op from Cathy Duffy's site, eBay, etc., but went with the package from Rainbow that included the dvd.  Several people online recommended it because the teacher on there does all the correct pronunciations and teacher & student can watch then turn to the workbook.

I'll take a picture with my phone in a second and put it in here.  It's not a fancy book, but that's one of the reasons I liked it.  Some of the other programs had tons of words to memorize each day, but each two page lesson here seems to build a solid foundation.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What are you using for the Latin?

I have only ever entertained the idea of doing Latin with the kids. I would SO love to do it, but I am a bit unsure about it yet.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN