Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What to do when homeschooling just isn't an option? I'm in tears... Update 12/19

Posted by   + Show Post

She's doing great! I've also added a special school snack that only she is allowed to eat. Another thing I did is bump her bedtime back to 6:30, lights out at 7pm. That sounds so early I know but the extra sleep is helping the most I think. So far so good *Fingers crossed*

At my dh's urging, I've decided to give it a solid month. He says if we don't see any progress or she gets worse, I can take her home. So here's the new plan.

I bought her an alarm clock and set it for 6:00 am. When she wakes up, she has to get herself dressed, hair brushed, shoes on and backpack ready, then... we watch a show together until 7:00am when we leave for school. After the girl I babysit goes home, we can play any game or puzzle she wants. All of this is in addition to her star chart where she can earn ice cream and Chuck e Cheese. Our morning went much more smoothly! But walking to school was a little rocky :-/ Still, I have high hopes and I know Christmas vacation will help. But either way, it's nice to have dh's support.

I just don't know what's going on with 7yo dd. While it's true that she does very well in school; great grades, likes her teachers, has lots of friends. Getting her to school is becoming harder and harder.

It started in kindergarten. The beginning of the year was fine. But then she started having anxiety about school. She wouldn't get dressed or brush her hair. She'd fight me nearly every morning and we'd be late constantly. But once she was at school, she was the perfect student. Things started leveling out towards the end of the year and I thought that was that.

Now it's starting again. She crying, I don't want to go to school. Won't get dressed or get her shoes on. At school she's fine but now at home she's angry and emotional all the time. Anything will set her off. I've tried reward charts. For every 10 days she's in school I'll take her to get an ice cream cone. For every 20 days she can go to Chucke cheese. She erased all of her stars today.

I'm at my wits end. I don't want to force it but I just can't HS her right now either. Not that she wants too. She said she doesn't want to go to any school. Just stay home. I'm having a meeting with her teacher and the principal tomorrow. I don't know what to do :-( Forcing my baby to school is breaking my heart.

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Replies (81-86):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Bump for edit

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM

That is great! Most children that go to PS don't get the sleep their bodies need!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM

I noticed that with my oldest dd. She would come home and just crash :-( Luckily 7yo dd is good with going to bed early, as long as we follow her bedtime routine,lol.

Quoting usmom3:

That is great! Most children that go to PS don't get the sleep their bodies need!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Yep, teenagers need the same amount of sleep as toddlers & their sleep patters change so they want to stay up late & sleep in. That is why teenagers struggle with getting up at 5 or 6 AM for school, their bodies are wired to sleep until 10 or later!

Quoting paganbaby:

I noticed that with my oldest dd. She would come home and just crash :-( Luckily 7yo dd is good with going to bed early, as long as we follow her bedtime routine,lol.

Quoting usmom3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 19, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That is so true! When 14yo dd starts school I was going to let her sleep in until 10 but no later. We have things we need to do and if I let her, she'd sleep til 2!

Quoting usmom3:

Yep, teenagers need the same amount of sleep as toddlers & their sleep patters change so they want to stay up late & sleep in. That is why teenagers struggle with getting up at 5 or 6 AM for school, their bodies are wired to sleep until 10 or later!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting usmom3:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 19, 2013 at 5:17 PM
1 mom liked this

That is excellent to hear!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)