Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Struggling...

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
  • 12 Replies
This is our first year homeschooling. I have a 7-year-old and a 2-year-old.

I'm really, really struggling. Everything is a battle with my big girl. Today, we tried to make dreamcatchers to go with our Native American theme. She lost her mind because it was too hard - but she was doing it well! She threw it on the floor and went storming off in tears.

She refuses to write anything, and has this same kind of reaction. Drawing, as well. She wants me to do everything FOR her.

I'm at a loss. Help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Was she public schooled?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 2:58 PM

How is her hand eye coordination? That kind of freak out isn't unusual. Frustrating but not unusual. LOL

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:20 PM

My DD (4) can be like that sometimes. She is a perfectionist.  She'll be writing her letters great and then just freak out and throw things.  That's when I usually make her pick it up and send her off to bed or kick her out of the school room.  Many times she'll come back and say she's sorry and want to try again.

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:24 PM

because you are physically involving her in the learning process, I am not suspecting a learning style.  But, if she was in the public school system, it could be self doubt as mem82 suggested.

If she has not yet developed her eye hand coordination, give her coloring activities encouraging her to stay within the lines. 

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM
I would say lots and lots of praise is in order and maybe only work for 5 or 10 min. At a time on something so that it does not become overwhelming to her.
QueenAtargatis
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Yes, she was. Pre-k, k, and 1st grade. =/

Quoting mem82:

Was she public schooled?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenAtargatis
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:18 PM
Its pretty decent, I believe. When she was in public school, she was "above level" in everything they evaluated her for... Whatever that means.

Glad to know we're not the only ones! Haha.

Quoting mem82:

How is her hand eye coordination? That kind of freak out isn't unusual. Frustrating but not unusual. LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenAtargatis
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I handle it similarly. I'll ask her if she needs a break, send her away. She usually comes back, but if she's still upset I tell her she needs to walk away from the activity until she can calmly assess the situation. Ugggh. Haha.

Quoting ablackdolphin:

My DD (4) can be like that sometimes. She is a perfectionist.  She'll be writing her letters great and then just freak out and throw things.  That's when I usually make her pick it up and send her off to bed or kick her out of the school room.  Many times she'll come back and say she's sorry and want to try again.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenAtargatis
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:25 PM
Can you explain the self doubt/public school thought? I'm feeling like that might be part of what's going on here. =/

Quoting romacox:

because you are physically involving her in the learning process, I am not suspecting a learning style.  But, if she was in the public school system, it could be self doubt as mem82 suggested.

If she has not yet developed her eye hand coordination, give her coloring activities encouraging her to stay within the lines. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
QueenAtargatis
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM
You're very right. She NEEDS reassurance all the time. She's the kind of kid that wants to be the best, and to prove she can do anything anyone else does. She genuinely appreciates compliments and praise.

In this instance, we were working on them for at least an hour. Perhaps you're right - shorter time increments. We typically only spend 15-20 minutes on activities, but I really thought this would be a fun and easy going activity. Hmm...

Quoting debramommyof4: I would say lots and lots of praise is in order and maybe only work for 5 or 10 min. At a time on something so that it does not become overwhelming to her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN