Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Feeling overwhelmed...

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
  • 8 Replies
I am new to homeschooling and I have hit a few road blocks, ALREADY! Good news is my daughter is only 4 1/2. I plan to 'officially' start in Janurary 2014. We live in Las Vegas so our state laws here are pretty easy going. I would like to build our own cirriculum to start with. She is definitley a 'worksheet' type of learner. She loves to sit down and do her work. Here are my questions: How do I begin a cirriculum? How should I peice together a homeschool routine for her 'school days'? We believe she is a bit advanced for her age so how do I know what grade to start her work in? Please ANY advice, tips, anything will help! I am feeling overwhelmed and don't want to mess her up if I am not able to carry out this homeschooling journey. Thanks an advance!
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
letstalk747
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

have you tried or looked at BrainQuest workbooks and materials[i buy them at Learning Palace] , there are lots of free worksheets online , i just made a simple chart that has the subjects i keep on the fridge , you can be eclectic and do your own  thing with buying books and workbooks , some internet time , if that works for you guys , some people like to buy whole curriculums and some put together their own stuff-as i do

JATomlinson
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:50 AM

We started out with a homeschool 'routine' but quickly dropped it.  If you're going to have one though, I would suggest putting work in 10 minute blocks for this age, interspersed with less strenous activities such as snack, manipulative time, educational youtube videos, and other play time.  They still need their play time during the school day at this age with educational toys to explore the world around them.

I would start her in Kindergarten work (look online to see what your child needs to know before first grade to get an idea of what to teach in Kindergarten), and then if she's advanced in a particular part of Kindergarten, move up to first grade level for that subject (example, math).  That's the beauty of homeschool, they can be in higher grade levels of some subjects, and right at their grade level on other subjects.

Sorry, I probably wasn't much help.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 2:59 AM

One great book to read that I wish I would have before I started is SO YOUR THINKING ABOUT HOMESCHOOLING by LISA WELCHEL. It talks about many different styles of homeschooling from box curriculum to unit studies to unschooling. From there you can decide what will work best for her and you.

What we have found that works best for us is using COMPREHENSIVE CURRICULUM OF BASIC SKILLS for their main subjects like Math, English, etc. It is about 500 pages of all worksheets that are colorful and full of pictures. My kids love them. If your worried about what level to start her on, just pick up PreK, if she can fly thru most of it, then get K and work from there. I started with PreK when they were 3 and when they were done with that book we went to the next. They're pretty inexpensive, like $9 at Sam's Club. Of course we also supliment with hands on training for what ever they are learning.

For Science and History we try to follow what is laid out in THE WELL TRAINED MIND. I love it b/c History is done in chronilogical order and Science follows with what they were discovering during that time in history. I just found out that there is even a line of art books to go along with it.  We also do lapbooks for what every they are learning at that time.

As far as a rutine, when DS was that age he would usually just do his work when I was cleaning the kitchen or when we had some down time. There wasn't much structure there during that age. Now, DS,9 and DD,6, we are well more structured. Every time I get a new book, I go thru it before our school year starts and figure up how many pages they need to do every day to have the book done by the time we end our school year. We have set times during the day where we work on their books or other things but we are still pretty flexable.

I would just set aside so much time every day to work on phonics, worksheets, math, ect. But I wouldn't try to do everything every day. Say math 3 days a week, english 2 days a week, phonics 3 days a week and so on.

Good luck to you.

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:40 AM

I like spectrum workbooks. Also tons of places to download printable worksheets.

I also use thrift store to find curriculum. For now I would start her at her grade level. At that age you don't want them to miss the basics. But I would also add some extra things that let her get her genius out. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:44 PM
At her age, I would utilize activity books, children's reading books, printable worksheets and videos and even write a worksheet or two of your own. If she is a bit advanced then start figuring out what she doesn't know. Such as math. How far can she go? Can she add one digit problems? If so, how high can she go? What about subtraction? How far can she go? Can she recognize digital time? What about spelling and reading? Shapes, colors, textures? Start with the basics and go from there. You might consider teaching to intelligence levels rather than absolute grade levels. The best thing about homeschooling is we can do what is best suited to the needs of the family. So, if your daughter is a bit advanced then teach her at her advanced level. If she needs to slow down, slow down. Whatever the need, work from there.
Hugs. You'll figure it out along the way. And have such an adventure to remember down the the road.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I agree with the others with just activity workbooks...My daughter like the BrainQuest ones (I think thats what they were called) and the Spectrum workbooks (until we got to about 3rd grade). Otherwise, you can check out http://www.lessonpathways.com/ which is free. I did that with my daughter for a little bit too.
With my little guy who is 4, I had to find things that were more hands on.We're already doing Level 1 All About Reading and All About Spelling and he's flying through those. For Math we're just about finished with the Primer book in Math U See, and will be starting the Alpha book after the holidays. He doesn't have a worksheet per se for spelling and reading, but he does write down words and phrases, and there are a few activity pages with reading. I made a "morning workbook" for him where we look at a calendar, color in the day, write the date out, keep track of how many days we've done school, write down the time "digitally" and then put the hands on a clock to match the time, and track the weather. We do little science experiments now and then as opportunities come up (like tracking our shadows throught the day, catching caterpillars and watching the metamorphis process - after making sure they won't turn into something poisonous lol) We probably spend 2 hours total doing "school" a day, and that is usually a pokey day for him too. Otherwise, a lot of our learning is through play yet.

LilliesValley
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM
I would start with guidelines for kinder. If you feel she meets them in math (as in she can count by one's to one hundred and by two', fives and tens then move on to addition. Maybe in reading she's at more of a first grade level start that subject there but on writing she's still learning letters then go with that. That's the best thing about hs is that it completely fits your child. I'd look at the absolute basics and go from there. See what she meets and then build upon. My dd is a worksheet kind of gal to but she loves manipulatives too. Don't under estimate hands on stuff for this age and to reinforce concepts.
wardance
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

this is my first year homeschooling and i'm learning that it not's so bad. if you have computer it is s easy to get ideas and get work for their grade level. easy peasy.com is a full free online curriculum, then library and yardsale workbooks or give aways are helpful. my advice is make homeschooling about life and make it fun for you and your child, what you don't get done that day cover the next day. small lessons worked better for me, they understood what i taught. good luck! and God bLESS YOU!baby dust

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN