Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Starting preschool next year!

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
  • 13 Replies
Benji (ds1) will be 3 in October. I've decided to go ahead and start him with preschool stuff then.
Here's what I'm thinking:
A wall designated just for the colors, shapes, days of the week, months, numbers, ABC's, weather types and those huge fake paper coins.
They have preschool books at Wal-Mart that aren't but like $1 each, they have the paper to trace letters and numbers in them.
It'll only be a couple hours a day (2-4)...
What do y'all think?
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
katyq
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Sounds good. Justkeep in mind that actual class work" time will be very brief. Teaching through hands on activities like sensory trays and painting and other crafts is most effective and most practical. Good luck :)

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:44 PM
I would break into smaller sections. Would it be sit down or play based? Make sure you incorporate his interests and enchanted learning.com has a lot of great preschool activities. Everything sounds great!
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 4, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Just keep it fun & engaging & it should be great!

NewInChrist
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Pretty much party based. I did see some packets that you can print out for the alphabet and numbers, though :)

Quoting jen2150: I would break into smaller sections. Would it be sit down or play based? Make sure you incorporate his interests and enchanted learning.com has a lot of great preschool activities. Everything sounds great!
NewInChrist
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Pretty much party based. I did see some packets that you can print out for the alphabet and numbers, though :)

Quoting jen2150: I would break into smaller sections. Would it be sit down or play based? Make sure you incorporate his interests and enchanted learning.com has a lot of great preschool activities. Everything sounds great!
KristinJG
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I have been homsechooling my 3 year old for about a month now. Actual "school time", including calendar, weather, letter/number for the week, songs, and any extra things, takes 20 minutes. We will do a page or 2 from his workbook. Then we do art or basketball, both tying into the letter/number of the day. (In order to take a basketball shot, he has to think of a word that starts with the letter.) All of this takes less than an hour while the baby takes his morning nap.
NewInChrist
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:40 PM
Sounds fun! :)
Is he 3 as in just turned 3 or 3 as in about to be 4?

Quoting KristinJG: I have been homsechooling my 3 year old for about a month now. Actual "school time", including calendar, weather, letter/number for the week, songs, and any extra things, takes 20 minutes. We will do a page or 2 from his workbook. Then we do art or basketball, both tying into the letter/number of the day. (In order to take a basketball shot, he has to think of a word that starts with the letter.) All of this takes less than an hour while the baby takes his morning nap.
tansyflower
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:01 PM

2-4 hours is a long time for a child that age.  heck i am almost 30 and thats a long time for me ;)

at that age the best things you can do is read as much as possible, have fun interactive play with hands on crafts and sing and listen to a lot of music!  many studies show that waiting a few years to "formally" school a child and letting them play and reading to them instead is the best thing you can do for them long term :)

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM

I would do LOTS and LOTS of reading.  Pick various topics too. Check your library.  Also look for educational videos like Preschool Prep, Baby Einstein, Little Pim, etc.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:08 PM

And remember, when reading to them if they get up and start walking around or playing it doesn't mean that they aren't still listening.  Music is great too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)