Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Darn spelling....

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM
  • 23 Replies
I've posted before about spelling issues with DD...well issues in general as well. So we started two things and I'd like to know I'm not crazy and that these two ideas are ok ideas...just need some reassurance here. (She is 10, 5th grade but just barely at 5th grade level for most subjects...and she was in ps up until this year).

The first is for spelling. We started Apples and Pears which I really like for her. She gets frustrated sometimes, she likes to say its too easy but she is definitely moving at the right pace because she gets things wrong now and then but not too much, so I know it's not too hard. And it is kind of easy sometimes, but she can use the review when it is. She got really frustrated yesterday and says she doesn't need a spelling program (she definitely needs something, she is not a natural speller at all). So my new idea..we are doing it up until Christmas break and then I will decide how to proceed from there...every time she spells any word wrong in any writing (notes, writing assignments, lists, whatever it is) she has to write that word 5x. Could this actually work? She hasn't complained really about having to write the words, today I went easy on her, her misspelled words were ancient, choose, and adventure. (This was in a list, she really didn't have a writing assignment today).

The next idea...on Monday she had a HORRIBLE time starting school work...she had had four days off because of thanksgiving, and then I also let them hang out Monday morning and we got a late start. She spent literally the first hour crying and having a tantrum because she had to redo ONE word problem from the week before. So once she was calm and we solved the word problem together, we decided to try to find an answer to this tantrums getting in the way of school issue. I offered a week off at Christmas (originally I had wanted to take more time off, but if they aren't learning something they are playing video games and watching tv, so I don't want too much unstructured time...but I do think the week before and after will be very light and fun)...BUT for each day they have a tantrum (it goes for DS as well, even though he almost never complains about schoolwork) or refuse to work, they owe me a day of work during their vacation week. I wrote a contract and we all signed it, I posted it next to a calendar and will circle any day they have a problem...days they don't have a problem get a smiley face. So far, it's working.

Opinions? Reassurance? I do talk to DH..he likes the idea of the vacation contract thing..but he has no opinion on spelling. He is not a writer and already thinks I make them write too much, lol (trust me, they certainly do not write too much).
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rmgriffberg
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
I am no where near that age yet as ods is almost 5, but they both sound like great ideas
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 8:55 PM

My only advice is re the spelling. If she is dyslexic, writing missed words 5x's each will NOT help. Promise. i would just keep slow and steady with the program - it should only be taking 15 minutes a day, tops. Maybe do her favorite subject after that.

ETA: why writing the words will not help - she won't remember them 2 weeks from now. Most/many dyslexic children have working memory issues, which contribute greatly to why they aren't great spellers.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:03 PM
Thanks Aimee. I am sure you are right on this. My idea is to keep track of the misspelled words, and then have her try to spell them from memory right before our Christmas break. If she can do it, then this system works. If she can't, then SHE can see that she can't and hopefully understand WHY we need to do the program. I just know it's really frustrating for her to see her brother learn much more difficult words so quickly, while she has to do the "boring" program. Some days, she loves A&P, but other days she is frustrated by it...it does only take 15 min or less. I will stick to the agreement we made up until Christmas, and then I feel like hopefully she will then understand that she really does need the program. I may also offer to give her the placement tests and bump her up if she passes...maybe then she won't resent the easy words so much.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

My only advice is re the spelling. If she is dyslexic, writing missed words 5x's each will NOT help. Promise. i would just keep slow and steady with the program - it should only be taking 15 minutes a day, tops. Maybe do her favorite subject after that.

ETA: why writing the words will not help - she won't remember them 2 weeks from now. Most/many dyslexic children have working memory issues, which contribute greatly to why they aren't great spellers.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I would try a different spelling program. If she isn't interested in this one and "doesn't think she needs it" try soething different. I also have a10yo DD in 5th but she LOVES our spelling, which is All About Spelling.

My 8th grader has a mild learning disabilityand they have been doing it together.. He was insisting todday he doesn't need it. I told him fine, he can choose Spelling Power, or  Ican make up a spelling/Vocab curriculum.. bt he HAS to work on his spelling because of his issues. That gives him some power of choice but doesnt let him miss something important.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

patnic
by Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:48 PM

I think corrections/punishment/redos on spelling should be on final drafts of works, rather than notes, etc.  Just my opinion.

Throw in some fun ways to practice the words.  Writing the words in sand, shaving cream, blowing paint with a straw to create the words, draw the words out crazy and make them into art.  Save shipping boxes and have her write the words as big as she can or on a tiny piece of scrap paper as small as she can.  I also use an app called Word Wizard.

Good luck.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:59 PM

We love All About Spelling. The crazy thing with it for my daughter though - she can't spell it on paper, but she can spell all her words correctly with the letter tiles, and usually correctly out loud. 9x out of 10 though, she can't spell it on paper and it is beyond frustrating, and for her, I don't think there is a spelling program created that would ever solve that problem. I've learned to just circle her mispelled words, and ask her to either spelling them out loud or with the tiles, and then tell me the rule on why the word is spelled that way.   At the end of the week, I accumulate all her misspelled words, and we do word searches or unscramble puzzles with them, or even hangman. Just something to make it fun, and try to reinforce it.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:23 PM
1 mom liked this

How about a white board? Easier to erase and hence less "pressure." We each have a small ( think I paid $4 each) magnetic white board that we use.  Amazing how such a simple change made it 100% easier for DS2!

Quoting No_Difference:

We love All About Spelling. The crazy thing with it for my daughter though - she can't spell it on paper, but she can spell all her words correctly with the letter tiles, and usually correctly out loud. 9x out of 10 though, she can't spell it on paper and it is beyond frustrating, and for her, I don't think there is a spelling program created that would ever solve that problem. I've learned to just circle her mispelled words, and ask her to either spelling them out loud or with the tiles, and then tell me the rule on why the word is spelled that way.   At the end of the week, I accumulate all her misspelled words, and we do word searches or unscramble puzzles with them, or even hangman. Just something to make it fun, and try to reinforce it.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:02 PM

We liked Spelling Power which works through high school.

I also considered Sequential Spelling which if she is dyslexic might help?

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:25 PM

Is her daughter dyslexic? I must have missed that very important fact. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM

We used a rules based phonics/spelling program and it has worked amazingly well. It benefited my 18yr old daughter, myself, and the kids dad who is severely dyslexic.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)