Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Odd feelings...*update*

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM
  • 22 Replies
3 moms liked this

The 15 minutes made a HUGE difference! There wasn't one stupid driver to deal with and ALL of the kids were inside.

I don't like that it gets me home 15 minutes later because I like to get school started as early as possible but I think that minor inconvenience will be worth it. I really prefer our 8am walk time, but with the freezes in winter it's too dangerous. Talk about sidewalk slip-n-slides! LOL

Thanks all for the input and listening :)  

Not sure why, but I need to get this out ...This is mostly a vent, but maybe you can help me let go...

Some background ...I LOVED the private elementary school I went to as a kid but BOTH of my boys had serious issues in PS before I pulled them out. One was beat up, another was mentally abussed by the teacher. (this is way mild of an explaination) It was awful....DS2 was so traumatized it took me 6 years for him to even to consider any class outside the home, like a parks and rec art class.

We live just down the street from a public school that is one of the worst in our city/district. I walk past there almost daily since my part-time job is across from it. (walking dogs).

I just get so angry even walking past it. I see all the trash along the sidewalk and think, "Dirty PS kids..."  The other day I was walking past and one of the kids faked throwing a rock at my dog.. and I thought "Dang, if the parents only taught their kids insead of shipping them off."  I saw one class, all in a line like zombies and the teacher yelling for them to "straighten up I wil ltake this off your lunch!" and ..UGGG! It bugs me!

It doesn't help that many of the parents are just plain ignorant. Like stopping in the middle of the street and letting the kids out. Not pulling over. VERY few kids are in any kind of car seat, let alone the correct one for their age/size. The ones that DO park across the street, just walk into traffic, without looking when there are THREE crossing guards (one on each corner and one in the middle of the block) each afternoon.

I just can't seem to get past the anger from when the boys were in PS. Some days, like today, I get so annoyed I want to quit walking just so I don't have to see the stupid things going on.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 9:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM

You lost me at "Dirty PS kids".

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

It isn't good to hang onto all that negative energy. I would find a way to work on that. I would start by choosing a different direction for your walks - one that doesn't take you past the public school. Take a look at yourself and what YOU have become instead of focusing JUST on what the place you hate has become. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:52 PM

I know... I don't get it either....

I have wanted to take pics of the campus and post how much trash is on the ground. I mean the teachers just allow them to drop it everywhere? or don't care enough to mke them pick it up? ..

The grounds are filthy.

Quoting kmath:

You lost me at "Dirty PS kids".

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I wish I could change the route. The guy lives directly actoss the street from the school, almost mid-campus. I have to deal with  all the traffic every morning at drop-off to get to his place.  Even when I come in a good mood, by time I get through the traffic..I'm seething.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Wow, there was so much negativity in that. It isn't good to hang onto all that negative energy. I would find a way to work on that. I would start by choosing a different direction for your walks - one that doesn't take you past the public school. Take a look at yourself and what YOU have become instead of focusing JUST on what the place you hate has become. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

I think it just represents everything bad that happened to my boys, and I see it happening to these other kids in my mind. 

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Yep, you're correct, I missed that important point of your post.

Are you able to to change the time of walking this persons dog?

Do you make enough money from it to warrant the misery you seem to be experiencing over this?

Can you do something to help make you feel better about the situation? Clean up the area, talk to the school about the drop off habits of the parents, volunteer at the school or in the community? 

Do you have any books or anything to help... I enjoy reading my Tao books when I get stressed out. They have good advice and I find them calming. I drink some hot green tea and cook up a pot of "scents" (cinnamon and such thrown into a pot of water). Helps me chill. 

Maybe counseling might be needed for your entire family since it has been quite a number of years now and you seem quite terribly upset still. 

I still can get passionate about things that happened in my life. I just choose how to channel that. They are experiences that can destroy me or empower me. YOU choose which - YOU are responsible for that now. Your kids are watching and learning from YOU. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I wish I could change the route. The guy lives directly actoss the street from the school, almost mid-campus. I have to deal with  all the traffic every morning at drop-off to get to his place.  Even when I come in a good mood, by time I get through the traffic..I'm seething.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Wow, there was so much negativity in that. It isn't good to hang onto all that negative energy. I would find a way to work on that. I would start by choosing a different direction for your walks - one that doesn't take you past the public school. Take a look at yourself and what YOU have become instead of focusing JUST on what the place you hate has become. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:33 PM

I wish I could change the times. The owner is ..well.. excentric.. LMAO  Seriously, not many people would put up with him, l love him though. Yes, $15 a day for a 1 hour walk and training 6 days a week really helps. DH pays the bills and this is my spendng money and field trip fund. Without it, we would sit home 24/7.

I actually thought about trying to talk to the school. Not sure what I would say. I don't think I want to deal with actually goingin and volunteering and - really...with three of my own, WHEN??  (Mine are 5th, 8th and 10th grades)

I AM calling the Sheriff's dept area Deputy team to ask for extra enforcement at Dropoff and pickup times. It is SO UNSAFE. Maybe that will help. I think it will be like putting a bandaid on a dam break, but it wouldbe a start!

Overall, we are doing really well, with getting past their PS experience, or so I thought until the last couple of days.  I LOVE our learning center and we have Sean going back to one class a semester, so that he can have some positive experiences before going off to college.  

Not sure what it is, it has just been the last 2 weeks or so, that I really noticed getting annoyed with the school being there. With the drama, the rudeness, the trash and lack of caring.

I will add,even my oldest asked one day, "How come they don't take pride in their school?" So I asked, HUH? He says, It is always so trashy!" So it can't just be me seeing this!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:34 PM

YOu know...I have been missing my karate workouts for the last month... It was a great stress relife...

Must start doing that again!

Quoting celticdragon77:

Do you have any books or anything to help... I enjoy reading my Tao books when I get stressed out. They have good advice and I find them calming. I drink some hot green tea and cook up a pot of "scents" (cinnamon and such thrown into a pot of water). Helps me chill. 

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: 

letstalk747
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

yeah , when i think of the crap when my son was in PS elem. even tho he had a wonderfull full time aid i get quite pissed

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:51 AM

I have a mom like that down the street. You just want to shake them and scream, "this is your kid! Do something!"

But you can't. 

You know that phrase, "it takes a village to raise a kid"? I think that phrase is about the village needing to look after certain kids in particular whose parents can't to the job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)