Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Kindergarten phonics suggestions?

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
  • 23 Replies
My DD is way advanced but won't make the cut off for kinder next year. I'm going to do it anyway. She watches brother do work and desperately wants to join. I involve her where I can but some of the history and math she isn't ready for.

She's close to reading, she just hasn't figured out the blending very well but knows all letter sounds. When she pretends to read she says letter sounds so CAT is "(k). (A) (t) and I help her smoosh it we call it.

So I need suggestions on good phonics for young kinders since I'm trying to get piece by piece for next year. Suggestions?
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lcherniske
by on Dec. 4, 2013 at 10:57 PM
With my son around 4 1/2 we just played with magnetic letters -practiced putting words together. Once he understood all sounds in capital and lower case we advanced to the. "Bob books." There are 5 sets. Around set 3 he resisted a bit so I stopped the daily practice. He is now in kindergarten and we started back up. We are on set 5 now.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 4, 2013 at 11:45 PM

Silly as it is...what finally helped things click for DD was the Leapfrog Word Factory DVD.

We used that, BOB books and Explode the code for Kinder. Though she really didnn't like EtC so we dropped it after only 2 books I think.

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:46 AM
Explode The Code... Best thing ever. My son was also like that.
JATomlinson
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:52 AM

We were in the same situation.  DD didn't make the age cut off by 1 month but was advanced so I started her in Kindergarten this year anyway.  I actually just wrote a post today about phonics and reading. http://lioncubschool.blogspot.com/2013/12/resource-wednesday-reading.html

Pay attention to #2 specifically, the 'blending' game.  This is how my dd finally figured out how to blend sounds into words.  Worked great for us!  Hope this helps :)

celticdragon77
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I highly recommend anything based on the phonic rules; All About Reading/Spelling, Logic Of English, Spell to Write and Read...

Also, sites like Pinterest have some awesome ideas!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:38 AM

We are using Phonic factory, Hooked on Phonics k, and starfall.com to piece together a curriculum to teach my 4 1/2 year old to read this year.  I also love sing, spell, read and write but I can not afford it on my own. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM

We used Hooked on Phonics k, PhonicsWorks, Ring around the Phonics (game), and homemade dolch sight word cards (made a double deck and used them to play bingo, memory, slap the word).

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Preschool prep dvds (library?) are great.  Reading Eggs online, Ooka Island online.

Lakeshore learning has lots of games that are great.

Lots of apps too.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Well, we use Phonics Pathways and it IS very effective. Boring as hades though.

Seton has a good phonics program - it's basically the Catholic version of the old Plaid Phonics series.

Be careful with the online programs like Reading Eggs. Some of the sounds they teach are not pronounced correctly.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My little guy LOVES All About Reading. It sounds like you'd need the Level 1 and not the pre reading, which goes over letter recognition and then the letter sounds... Level 1 goes into blending everything. There are little activities now and then, and three books with short stories in them to basically say, "see all these words we've been working on...you can actually read a story with them!" When that finally dawned on my little guy he was eccstatic lol. Now however, he thinks he can only read that book and nothing else lol.
We use All About SPelling Level 1, and the two together really seem to complete each other. It has blending activities too so that the child can understand how things are blended together. We just started working with the /sh/ /ch/ and /th/ sounds. He's learned the two sounds of /th/ and the three sounds of /ch/ and when he hears them in a word it constitutes as one sound, so when we do our blending activity, the word march would be /m/ /a/ /r/ /ch/ and he pulls down a coin for each sound. This week lesson was solely on initial and final blends and making sure to separate the blends when spelling a word. He applied this concept when sounding out a rather long word today...and even admitted "I can read without my book!" lol...but he still won't read a different book...
The nice thing with these two programs, you can go as slow or fast as you need for a lesson. We FLEW through the first few in spelling because he knew all his letter sounds and did a really good job spelling the words with letter tiles. In reading, he flew through the first couple too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN