Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do with completed work?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm so unorganized and it's driving me crazy!  I have a box where finished worksheets/papers/projects go (for both kids combined).  Any organizing tips?  What do you do with your kids completed work?

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Replies (11-19):
AmyMamie
by Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I also don't have to do any reporting, so I get to choose what to keep and what to throw away.  Anything that seems sweet, special, etc. I put in an "under-the-bed" box labeled with T's name, which I do keep under my bed.  I also have one ready for his little brother, once he starts school.  Any class that I want to watch T's progress in throughout the year, I put the pages in a 3-ring binder.  I just have it filled with sheet protectors, so it's easy to slip all the papers in each day.  I can decide at the end of year then whether to keep the binder or throw the papers away.

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I check it, to see if they are getting it. Then toss it.

However, sometimes I grade it. Just to have a little game or competition between the kids.

Also I do online quizzes to avoid paper work.

Unusually everything gets tossed at the end of the day. 

However, somethings they just write in thier note books like notes and definitions. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I check work, give it a smiley face or a check or corrections or questions, etc...give it back to the child it belongs to, they hole punch it and put it in their binder...which is divided by subject (they have separate binders for history and science...the rest go in one big binder) they also have separate notebooks for each subject that they need them for (math, spelling, and writing...history and science have loose leaf paper in their respective binders). The kids are responsible for putting the completed papers in their binder and trying to keep them in order (they are in 5th and 6th grades and went to ps up until this year, so they can definitely handle this).

Bigger projects...it depends, sometimes we take a picture and let it go, or hang it on the wall, or they may save it in their rooms...it just depends on what it was and how much they like it.

I like the binders so far...I am hoping that at the end of the year I will be able to just pull as needed to create a portfolio.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM
I put their papers in a designated file or shelf first, in case I need to go back and refer to one of their lessons. Then I will put what is not immediately needed in a box and store the box away. I also save the work they do on computer, on cd.
celticdragon77
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I take pictures of projects and scan a lot of the kids paperwork into the computer for later use in their portfolios.

I have a box where I throw all the papers into, in case the school ever wanted the actual papers as proof.

After I hand in the end of the year paperwork and get the letter from the school district saying all is good... THEN I throw out the entire box of papers. 

I keep the all of the information on a external hard drive, a flash drive, and on cd rom. I am hoping to have a keepsake of it all for them. 

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Most of their work is in workbooks, so we just don't tear out the pages.  Things that are loose go in a file cabinet, in specific folders.  I'll keep everything until the end of the year, when a teacher reviews it, then take pictures and shred it.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM

All of their worksheets are in the book, so I just keep them in there and have put them in the bottom of a filing cabinet. As far as bigger projects, I take pictures of it so we can scrapbook it later. We'll keep the project until it starts to get in the way or broken up.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Honestly?  I throw it away (actually, I tell the child "Great job.  You can throw it in the trash now."  Unless it is something very special (or something they want to show their father, in which case we wait until he sees it before we throw it in the trash), I believe that once the lesson is learned, you don't need to keep the paper. 

mom23heathens
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:23 AM
Dh's work boot boxes. I have a binder that recent stuff goes into. After the grading period ends I put it all into the box and start over. I have everything because dd looks at it over the summer. Don't ask me why. She is in 5th grade now and that's a lot of paperwork.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)