Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talk to me about the Boxcar Children books...

Posted by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 12 Replies

Did you like them? Did your kids like them?  What age did they read them? Are there any scary or inappropriate things for a 4 year old?

We've read most of the Magic Tree House series and she loved them!

I've heard about these but I know very little.....

Thanks!

by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:41 PM

We read the first one with our curriculum and DS 5 loved it!  He couldn't wait to read his chapter every day.  I don't remember that there was really anything inappropriate about it other than 4 children without parents trying to make it on their own.  I don't know if that would be scary for her.......it didn't really phase my son.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM
I loved the boxcar children. I don't think there is anything overly scary. Everything is more mystery than boogeyman. You could say it's slightly watered down compared to Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 12:44 PM
After the first book they go to live with their grandfather, so that may help to alleviate any fears that come up.

Quoting jwhit8791:

We read the first one with our curriculum and DS 5 loved it!  He couldn't wait to read his chapter every day.  I don't remember that there was really anything inappropriate about it other than 4 children without parents trying to make it on their own.  I don't know if that would be scary for her.......it didn't really phase my son.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:01 PM

I think mine were 8 and 9 when we read the first one. THey were kind of bored by it, so we never read another one. The only thing they liked about it was the "survivalist" theme since my ds is interested in survivalist lifestyle. He started wishing for a boxcar for the backyard!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:09 PM
I loved them as a little girl and my 7 year old loves reading them on her own. I think they would be fine to read to a 4 year old.
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Thank you for all the quick feedback!!! I have a coupon code for barnes & Noble and thought it would be a fun new read!! Will try it out!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

We found them a little boring, too. And it's not that we demand high amounts of action or peril, but just the story was kind of... Zzzzz. We enjoy all sorts of "old" literature but just didn't care for Boxcar Children.

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I think mine were 8 and 9 when we read the first one. THey were kind of bored by it, so we never read another one. The only thing they liked about it was the "survivalist" theme since my ds is interested in survivalist lifestyle. He started wishing for a boxcar for the backyard!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:27 PM
We haven't read any ourselves yet, but It doesn't look inappropriate for young readers.
celticdragon77
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:03 PM

We read the first one and my kids were bored with it and I wasn't a big fan of the runaway theme.  

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 6:49 PM

That's what I liked out it too! lol

Quoting Leissaintexas:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)