Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't homeschool but I want to Edit

Mobile Photo

I don't homeschool but I want to. This is my 6 year old Katrina. She has hypo plastic left heart syndrome, a congenital heart disease. She basically only has half a heart. Since she was born she has had 10 surgeries three of them being open heart surgeries. Her immune system is not as strong as a child without this condition and she has spent numerous times at the hospital and has had numerous absent days from school from being ill. She started preschool when she was 3 and she took two years of preschool before going into kindergarten this year. Her condition and numerous hospital stays have resulted in her learning at a slower rate than other children her age as well as a speech problem and she obviously isn't as well off physically as other kids. Now that she is in kindergarten there are a few children who bully her to the extent of giving her bruises by pushing her off the monkey bars and shoving her. Also her report card was horrible. I think it was worse because her teacher can't understand some of the things she says. It states on her report card that she can only count to twelve and not to twenty. Well her thirteen and fourteen sound the same and she can count all the way to 39. I want to homeschool her but I have two obstacles. One being her father gets her Sunday night through Wednesday after school. I am not sure he would want her to be homeschooled seeing as he is very lazy and he has four other kids who all live with him. Also my daughter told me that her older siblings do some of her homework for her and I have even see their handwriting on her homework. This bothers me a great deal. The other obstacle is I am a single mother of a six year old and a 9 week old and I work a full time job. Do any of you homeschooling mothers face similar obstacles? How do you work around them? I want to homeschool her so she gets the one on one that she needs, so she isn't being bullied at school, so we can work around her hospital stays, and because I don't think the teachers are teaching her the right way. Please give advice. Is there any way I can still homeschool?

Edit:
I talked to my dd's father and he didn't really show or say anything towards the idea. So I am trying to make a list of any concerns he may have and the solutions to those concerns with homeschooling. One of them is that my dd wants to do cheerleading like her older sister. Is there a way for a homeschooled child to be able to cheerlead without being enrolled in public school? Also I just found out how amazing she is at swinging a bat yesterday at a birthday party that had a piƱata. She swung better than two boys that were a year or two older than her. I used to play softball as a kid and if she is interested in it I would like to sign her up (with her doctors approval of course with her medical condition and all) need advice!
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 1:41 PM
Replies (11-14):
HeatherMarieT88
by New Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM
I have my CNA certificate. I did that until last year. Nursing homes are the worst for working with you when it comes to scheduling because there are so many call offs. I have worked in a facility and agency but the agency I worked with treated it's employees like crap so I quit. I have thought about going back to school to get my LPN or RN but the schedule for the schools closest to me don't go well with my daughters public school schedule. Also I don't live in housing or recieve any type of welfare other than insurance and now WIC because I have a 9 week old. So I work full time without CP from either of their fathers so it would be next to impossible for me to go back right now. Plus that is part of the reason I want to home school is to spend better quality time with my daughter.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I have a different opinion. 

I say don't homeschool yet. Yes...You can, and should. But at thus point your schedule us too tight. 

If I were you. Take the time you would be able to homeschool and you go back to school. Maybe for nursing. Then you can get a more flexible schedule to homeschool.

But as it stands now. You don't have to homeschool every day. Just take the days off she has with her dad, then home school her the days you have her. 

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
From what you've said, I think it's completely doable. My thought is, no schoolwork when she's with dad since she won't learn if the other kids are doing it and it won't make dad want to say no immediately since it has no effect on him. You can school in the mornings, then the days you work, bring her to the sitter (who hopefully would be willing to help out with a lesson or two sometimes). If you work second shift, then there are days you don't see her at all when she goes to school then you go to work, and then other days she's at dads so you don't see her. I would totally homeschool her just so I could spend time with her. But since you mentioned the other issues as well, I don't see a reason not to homeschool. Dad might give you a hard time, but hopefully he won't care. The reason I could see him not liking it is because on his days she wouldn't leave to go to school...so I would offer to take her during those hours for him...you would get more time with her, more time to teach her, and he could have those hours to do whatever it is he does.

I would also use the time she is with dad to plan and prep the following week of lessons. I think it's definitely doable. I just started hsing this year, I work but not full time and I'm married so definitely a different situation, but I think working second shift would actually be the best shift if you have to work. Good luck! It's definitely worth it if you can make it work!
tansyflower
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this

i agree with all of this.  it could really work out to your advantage and remeber it doesnt take a full 8 hours to homeschool a child, they usually learn the same amount in less than three hours a day.  so you could really slip that 3 hours in whenever you could!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: From what you've said, I think it's completely doable. My thought is, no schoolwork when she's with dad since she won't learn if the other kids are doing it and it won't make dad want to say no immediately since it has no effect on him. You can school in the mornings, then the days you work, bring her to the sitter (who hopefully would be willing to help out with a lesson or two sometimes). If you work second shift, then there are days you don't see her at all when she goes to school then you go to work, and then other days she's at dads so you don't see her. I would totally homeschool her just so I could spend time with her. But since you mentioned the other issues as well, I don't see a reason not to homeschool. Dad might give you a hard time, but hopefully he won't care. The reason I could see him not liking it is because on his days she wouldn't leave to go to school...so I would offer to take her during those hours for him...you would get more time with her, more time to teach her, and he could have those hours to do whatever it is he does.

I would also use the time she is with dad to plan and prep the following week of lessons. I think it's definitely doable. I just started hsing this year, I work but not full time and I'm married so definitely a different situation, but I think working second shift would actually be the best shift if you have to work. Good luck! It's definitely worth it if you can make it work!

HeatherMarieT88
by New Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM
I'm going to talk to her dad about it. Hopefully he agrees to this. Wish me luck and thanks for the advice.

Quoting tansyflower:

i agree with all of this.  it could really work out to your advantage and remeber it doesnt take a full 8 hours to homeschool a child, they usually learn the same amount in less than three hours a day.  so you could really slip that 3 hours in whenever you could!

Quoting TJandKarasMom: From what you've said, I think it's completely doable. My thought is, no schoolwork when she's with dad since she won't learn if the other kids are doing it and it won't make dad want to say no immediately since it has no effect on him. You can school in the mornings, then the days you work, bring her to the sitter (who hopefully would be willing to help out with a lesson or two sometimes). If you work second shift, then there are days you don't see her at all when she goes to school then you go to work, and then other days she's at dads so you don't see her. I would totally homeschool her just so I could spend time with her. But since you mentioned the other issues as well, I don't see a reason not to homeschool. Dad might give you a hard time, but hopefully he won't care. The reason I could see him not liking it is because on his days she wouldn't leave to go to school...so I would offer to take her during those hours for him...you would get more time with her, more time to teach her, and he could have those hours to do whatever it is he does.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)