Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT - anyone else watching "Sound of Music Live!" Tonight?

Posted by   + Show Post
I will just because my girls are so excited, but I won't like it, lol. Julie is the only Maria IMO. :)

SOM is a tradition in our house, so it'll be interesting to see how Carrie's version measures up - especially unedited.

Just wondered what you ladies think.
by on Dec. 5, 2013 at 4:20 PM
Replies (31-40):
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this
My girls are 8 & 12 and they enjoyed it too. They spent the time during commercials singing.

I hope your little boy enjoys the rest too

Quoting JTROX:

My 9yo and I were enjoying it until I had to send him to bed.  We will finish watching it tomorrow.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Me too, lol. The costumes are beautiful and they're doing a good job with the songs.

Dh said the Captain is the lead actor from True Blood (I've never watched it), but he has a musical background.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: So far..it is better than I expected :)

It.is strange.seeimg a different Maria...I am terrified to see who plays Capt. Von Trapp

...she is just beimg sent to them...lol
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Did he mean "$1,259"? Still a crazy difference though.

DH woke up super early yesterday (he works nights and usually he gets up around 2 or 3....yesterday he slept only 8am-12pm) and he blames me for leaving the tv on the history channel and that show being on! He said when he woke up this guy was selling all his childhood toys and those metal lunch boxes, the professional said altogether it was easily worth $25,000. The guy wanted $15,000. Rick offered him $5,000! So the guys said he couldn't go lower than $10,500...Rick refuses to go higher than $9,500! Seriously? You're already making a good $10,000...the guy is selling his entire childhood collection, give the guy a break! He obviously needed the money or he wouldn't be selling all his childhood memories!

Ugh, anyway....how was the Sound of Music last night?!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Yep! Professional from the museum: this helmet once used by knights during the renaissance is worth $8k

Rick to customer: man, the highest I can go on this is $12.59 and I'm going to be taking a loss on it at that price.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: DH and I have watched the walking dead since it started, but we have been disappointed in it lately, lol. I used to like pawn stars too, I do like the facts they talk about and the little quizzes...but I hate how it seems they really are out to make a buck. Like that is all that matters to them in a lot of the episodes. They are fair a lot of times, but there are many times that I just don't get why they won't settle a bit higher to help the person out..they would still get the great item, the person would be a satisfied customer, and they'd be doing a bit of a good deed if they kind of gave in once in a while ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan: Dh watches the Walking Dead every Sunday. My favorite show is Pawn Stars. Those guys crack me up, and are chock full of cool historical facts. I'd love to find a spoon made by Paul Revere like the one they had on the other day.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: The only actual tv we watch is the history channel and H2, the discovery channel, and animal planet. The kids once in a while watch nick or Cartoon Network but we are steering away from those. DH and I watch The Walking Dead on AMC and he watches some other things on AMC sometimes. I think for everything else we watch Netflix, or the xfinity app. And I can no longer watch any main stream news, but if I have to it's CNN. I listen to a couple radio shows for national news and I almost completely skip the local news, unless I waste time on Facebook, then I get snippets. Lol I think I might be going crazy...plenty of people my age think I am.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We're getting the ice & snow tonight; stay safe this weekend!  

We don't turn on the tv until 5:00 (for the news).  The history channel, PBS, and CNN are our favorite channels, and most of that is pretty educational. :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

I know nothing about this, so no. :) We almost NEVER watch actual television. I only hooked up our antenna last night because we are supposed to get a bunch of ice and snow tonight and tomorrow.

rfhsure
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
Acting certainly doesn't hold tgw same expectations it used to

Quoting TidewaterClan: Us too! All of those dancing routines had to take major coordination to say the least.

Quoting rfhsure: Oooh king and I is my faaaavorite! I love seven brides for seven brothers too

Quoting usmom3:

Nope I preferred the King & I!

Quoting TidewaterClan: No kidding? The hills were never alive with the sound of music for you?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope, the only one in the house that might be interested is me & I was never a big fan of the original!

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM

That's just how it seems sometimes.  :)

Jeez, that's sad.  It's a lot like a car dealership as far as tactics go.  I've only seen a few people walk away and say it wasn't enough. 

There was one episode where he went to an antique mall and someone had a Samurai helmet for $300 on consignment.  Rick told the shop owner that it was really worth $3k, and they settled up around $2k.  I told dh I hope the person who owned the helmet saw that and received more than $300!

SOM was pretty good.  My girls liked it.  The scenes and some of the songs were different than the original movie, but dh said it was based on the broadway show.  Carrie did a nice job of looking sweet but having a great voice.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: Did he mean "$1,259"? Still a crazy difference though.

DH woke up super early yesterday (he works nights and usually he gets up around 2 or 3....yesterday he slept only 8am-12pm) and he blames me for leaving the tv on the history channel and that show being on! He said when he woke up this guy was selling all his childhood toys and those metal lunch boxes, the professional said altogether it was easily worth $25,000. The guy wanted $15,000. Rick offered him $5,000! So the guys said he couldn't go lower than $10,500...Rick refuses to go higher than $9,500! Seriously? You're already making a good $10,000...the guy is selling his entire childhood collection, give the guy a break! He obviously needed the money or he wouldn't be selling all his childhood memories!

Ugh, anyway....how was the Sound of Music last night?!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Yep! Professional from the museum: this helmet once used by knights during the renaissance is worth $8k

Rick to customer: man, the highest I can go on this is $12.59 and I'm going to be taking a loss on it at that price.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: DH and I have watched the walking dead since it started, but we have been disappointed in it lately, lol. I used to like pawn stars too, I do like the facts they talk about and the little quizzes...but I hate how it seems they really are out to make a buck. Like that is all that matters to them in a lot of the episodes. They are fair a lot of times, but there are many times that I just don't get why they won't settle a bit higher to help the person out..they would still get the great item, the person would be a satisfied customer, and they'd be doing a bit of a good deed if they kind of gave in once in a while ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan: Dh watches the Walking Dead every Sunday. My favorite show is Pawn Stars. Those guys crack me up, and are chock full of cool historical facts. I'd love to find a spoon made by Paul Revere like the one they had on the other day.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: The only actual tv we watch is the history channel and H2, the discovery channel, and animal planet. The kids once in a while watch nick or Cartoon Network but we are steering away from those. DH and I watch The Walking Dead on AMC and he watches some other things on AMC sometimes. I think for everything else we watch Netflix, or the xfinity app. And I can no longer watch any main stream news, but if I have to it's CNN. I listen to a couple radio shows for national news and I almost completely skip the local news, unless I waste time on Facebook, then I get snippets. Lol I think I might be going crazy...plenty of people my age think I am.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

We're getting the ice & snow tonight; stay safe this weekend!  

We don't turn on the tv until 5:00 (for the news).  The history channel, PBS, and CNN are our favorite channels, and most of that is pretty educational. :)

Quoting hipmomto3:

I know nothing about this, so no. :) We almost NEVER watch actual television. I only hooked up our antenna last night because we are supposed to get a bunch of ice and snow tonight and tomorrow.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Very true.  Some of the newer movies even cost tons of money, but they don't pull the audience in like the old ones.  It's not just the acting, but maybe too much green screen and not enough thoughtful human creation as far as the sets go. 

Quoting rfhsure: Acting certainly doesn't hold tgw same expectations it used to

Quoting TidewaterClan: Us too! All of those dancing routines had to take major coordination to say the least.

Quoting rfhsure: Oooh king and I is my faaaavorite! I love seven brides for seven brothers too

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting TidewaterClan: No kidding? The hills were never alive with the sound of music for you?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope, the only one in the house that might be interested is me & I was never a big fan of the original!

rfhsure
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I agree. Very few actors today are expected to dance, sing, and act. Theater is a dying art, and we really take it for granted. Some of the best actors got their start in theater. There's so much heart and soukbin a theater production you simply can't replicate on screen.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Very true.  Some of the newer movies even cost tons of money, but they don't pull the audience in like the old ones.  It's not just the acting, but maybe too much green screen and not enough thoughtful human creation as far as the sets go. 

Quoting rfhsure: Acting certainly doesn't hold tgw same expectations it used to

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 6, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
We didn't but did you?
How was it? Did you like it?
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah he was hot!

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That's one of our favorites too.  Deborah Kerr did an excellent job being feisty but understated in her huge hoop skirts.  Back when they filmed that Yule would have given the Rock a run for his money as far as abs go, etc., etc., etc.  :)

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 6, 2013 at 3:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep I loved Seven Brides for Seven Brothers too!

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)