Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
I have been having school in the form of a debate with my 3 oldest and have seen some of their thinking process and what the personally believe. It is quite interesting! It has also shown me that we need to work on our skills as orators and our reactions to other people negative reactions to the way we lay out our own ideas and or beliefs. But overall, we have been learning SO much!

So, my question is this...Do you teach debating skills or do you use debating skills to utilize school lessons or ideas?

How do you feel about Debating?

undefined

by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 5:02 PM
Replies (11-20):
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 7:48 PM
1 mom liked this
That's the same argument Stephen Hawkings has, no kidding! He thinks if there is extraterrestrial life it's more than likely not friendly and shouldn't be invited here.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/551035

Your son is in good company with his rationality. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Those are awesome topics!  We like to discuss the ethics research.  We  recently watched a documentary on Netflix (Alien Planet) about the probe we are planning to send to Darwin IV, leaving in 2014.  We've had some lively debates about the ethics of that space flight.  It was interesting the way my middle son questioned the portrayal of all the benign little beings they supposed we will find.  He's really pessimistic of it.  And his arguments are very valid.  It will take 42 years for the probe to get there and 6 years for the message to return.  (He is 6 BTW) And he wonders how much faster a smarter creature could travel than we do.  Is it possible to travel at the speed of light and if so, seconds after the message gets here to say there is a smarter being, the smarter being could be here too.  Yikes!  He is obsessed with this discussion and researching and thinking about the possibilities!  

Quoting kirbymom: I grew up similarly. I loved a good debate upon which to either further my beliefs or learn new ways of thought.

I don't really teach it either as a stand alone subject/lesson but we do make sure that the kids can debate an issue well. Both from a verbal viewpoint and a written viewpoint.

Right now, my 16 and 14 and 12 yr olds and I are in the middle of a bunch of debates. We are discussing anti-matter, the different dimensions, quantum theory.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We don't actually teach debate, but we debate a lot for fun.  I grew up debating with my father at the kitchen table, and our kids are doing the same now.  It has upped my game debating the side I disagree with sometimes!  My father played Devil's Advocate a lot when we were growing up and I am really appreciating how difficult it can be.  The kids have some pretty awesome ideas and really take to a challenge.  We only have 2 real rules in our house and we often have debates about adding more rules.  Since all rules can be boiled down to our 2 rules it's fun to watch them come to the conclusions that adding the rule is either superfluous OR will actually limit their freedoms.  It's fun to use debate to draw those conclusions out of them without just dictating or telling them straight out why we believe what we do.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM
1 mom liked this
It was a great experience. I wrote better essays and other things because of it. That is one thing I've been stressing to my girls, and I didn't even realize it.

Quoting kirbymom: I wish I had had the opportunity to be on an actual team, myself. I think I could have learned so much more if I had. I also think it is helpful in so many areas of life and not just a skill in verbal speech.

I love debating politics. And theology. And the Theory of science. And just being able to banter ideas back and forth in general. :)

Quoting TidewaterClan: We hold debates all the time but haven't done that formally yet. That's a great idea Sonja.

I was on the debate team in high school. It's a great skill, not just the public speaking part, but being able to research & find facts to back up what you're saying. It's been handy many times when discussing things with dh, when I was working, and with one of my buddies who loves to get into political discussions, lol.

It helps me not to take things too personal because I like hearing other people's ideas, and if I don't end up agreeing I've usually learned something at least. :)
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 7:56 PM

My argument against is that even if the macro-organisms are friendly, what about the micro-organisms?  Look at the way our diseases from the Eurasian supercontinent decimated the natives every where they went.  Do we really want the space germs coming to take us out that way?

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's the same argument Stephen Hawkings has, no kidding! He thinks if there is extraterrestrial life it's more than likely not friendly and shouldn't be invited here.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Those are awesome topics!  We like to discuss the ethics research.  We  recently watched a documentary on Netflix (Alien Planet) about the probe we are planning to send to Darwin IV, leaving in 2014.  We've had some lively debates about the ethics of that space flight.  It was interesting the way my middle son questioned the portrayal of all the benign little beings they supposed we will find.  He's really pessimistic of it.  And his arguments are very valid.  It will take 42 years for the probe to get there and 6 years for the message to return.  (He is 6 BTW) And he wonders how much faster a smarter creature could travel than we do.  Is it possible to travel at the speed of light and if so, seconds after the message gets here to say there is a smarter being, the smarter being could be here too.  Yikes!  He is obsessed with this discussion and researching and thinking about the possibilities!  

Quoting kirbymom: I grew up similarly. I loved a good debate upon which to either further my beliefs or learn new ways of thought.

I don't really teach it either as a stand alone subject/lesson but we do make sure that the kids can debate an issue well. Both from a verbal viewpoint and a written viewpoint.

Right now, my 16 and 14 and 12 yr olds and I are in the middle of a bunch of debates. We are discussing anti-matter, the different dimensions, quantum theory.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We don't actually teach debate, but we debate a lot for fun.  I grew up debating with my father at the kitchen table, and our kids are doing the same now.  It has upped my game debating the side I disagree with sometimes!  My father played Devil's Advocate a lot when we were growing up and I am really appreciating how difficult it can be.  The kids have some pretty awesome ideas and really take to a challenge.  We only have 2 real rules in our house and we often have debates about adding more rules.  Since all rules can be boiled down to our 2 rules it's fun to watch them come to the conclusions that adding the rule is either superfluous OR will actually limit their freedoms.  It's fun to use debate to draw those conclusions out of them without just dictating or telling them straight out why we believe what we do.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM
That's a happy thought I've never stopped to ponder! You're right though! May not be super intelligent militant aliens like Independence Day but a tiny contagion we have no resistance too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

My argument against is that even if the macro-organisms are friendly, what about the micro-organisms?  Look at the way our diseases from the Eurasian supercontinent decimated the natives every where they went.  Do we really want the space germs coming to take us out that way?

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's the same argument Stephen Hawkings has, no kidding! He thinks if there is extraterrestrial life it's more than likely not friendly and shouldn't be invited here.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Sorry, sometimes I'm a frickin little ray of sunshine, huh? LOL

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's a happy thought I've never stopped to ponder! You're right though! May not be super intelligent militant aliens like Independence Day but a tiny contagion we have no resistance too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:20 PM
I think so. :)

That is how Merlin vanquished Mim in "The Sword in the Stone." It's an interesting possibility to say the least.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's a happy thought I've never stopped to ponder! You're right though! May not be super intelligent militant aliens like Independence Day but a tiny contagion we have no resistance too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Ha!  My boys like when she gets Dragon Pox, right?

Quoting TidewaterClan: I think so. :)

That is how Merlin vanquished Mim in "The Sword in the Stone." It's an interesting possibility to say the least.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep! She thought she was all bad to the bones as a dragon until he became a virus. My girls love that part too.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ha!  My boys like when she gets Dragon Pox, right?

Quoting TidewaterClan: I think so. :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:00 PM

We do spend a lot of time debating or asking the kids to prove their logic.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:38 PM
I'd like to know what you're two rules are ;)

We don't debate as much as I'd like to..DH and I do sometimes, but we should get the kids involved...a goal of ours is to raise independent thinkers, so we should encourage debating!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN