Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Free lunch... But homeschooling

Posted by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM
  • 44 Replies
So I am not currently homeschooling but that is the goal, I'm hoping for next year.
My question is this, I've got 2 in school currently. We don't qualify for food stamps but do qualify for $.40 lunch and free breakfast. So that's only $.80/ day or $4/ week for my kids to eat 2 meals. We are struggling and go to the food bank as it is (2 of our 3 kids are disabled, yes we get SSI but is barely covers gas and expenses related to their disability).
Are there any programs that help homeschooling families offset food costs, when those families qualify for free/ reduced lunch at school?
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kajira
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I would see if you qualify for wic - or even food stamps.

Maridel
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:59 PM
6 moms liked this

Not that I know of. There's not much, if anything, in the way of helping homeschooling families. When we pull them out of school we are taking full responsibility into our own hands and out of the governments. 

Monkiebut
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:08 PM
Wic stops at 5yrs of age and as I said in the post, we do not qualify for food stamps.

Quoting kajira:

I would see if you qualify for wic - or even food stamps.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There is nothing official in place like that mostly because our society sees homeschooling as a privilege that only the wealthy can do, even though the majority of homeschooerls are lower class & middle class! Are there more then one food bank close to you, maybe you could just go to more then one.

Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Hugs! I totally understand. We have food boxes we buy that have helped up (i think the one we use is called treasure box)
ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Sadly there is nothing that I know of that helps with food or supplies. Sucks because we are certainly paying a fortune in property taxes over here!

Monkiebut
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Our goal is to homeschool due to our youngests health condition (cf). He gets lung infections 8-10x a year and each time he gets one his life expectancy shortens. He is only 2.5 now but even his sisters in school is causing major health problems.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Dec. 6, 2013 at 11:59 PM

I haven't found or heard of anything like that. However, we have done a little bit of fundraising that has helped off set some of our costs. That might be something to look into.

diaperstodating
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:01 AM

Bump

Monkiebut
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:23 AM
What do you mean by fund raising?

Quoting Bleacher-mom:

I haven't found or heard of anything like that. However, we have done a little bit of fundraising that has helped off set some of our costs. That might be something to look into.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN