Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Free lunch... But homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post
So I am not currently homeschooling but that is the goal, I'm hoping for next year.
My question is this, I've got 2 in school currently. We don't qualify for food stamps but do qualify for $.40 lunch and free breakfast. So that's only $.80/ day or $4/ week for my kids to eat 2 meals. We are struggling and go to the food bank as it is (2 of our 3 kids are disabled, yes we get SSI but is barely covers gas and expenses related to their disability).
Are there any programs that help homeschooling families offset food costs, when those families qualify for free/ reduced lunch at school?
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (11-20):
Monkiebut
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:24 AM
My mom used to get a usda grant for child care when we were little, do they have anything like that for school aged kids? Anyone know?
dawncs
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Have you checked with the phone company and electric company for programs to help the disabled and low income families? Have you also checked out Angel Food Ministries?

Dawn
Innovative Cookbook Writer and Internet Resource Research Writer
Check out my books at: http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/dawnlucan

Liastele
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

When you pull the kids out of school you are pulling them out of the government programs that come with school. 

Could you plant a garden and add a gardening unit for your younger kids? Where food comes from is an amazing thing to learn. Even in an apartment you could do hydroponic vertical gardening. Google it, its pretty cool.

Monkiebut
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:42 AM
We have a 1/8 acre garden and raise chickens (we are slaughtering 9 this week) but it is not enough. My son goes through over 12 gallons of whole milk a month and is on a high fat/ calorie diet. He gets Wic but it only covers 3 gallons of whole milk and NOTHING high fat in terms if other foods.
We are part of a gleaning community and get most of our other foods that way but what I'm saying is that I would need to feed an EXTRA 40 meals a month.

Quoting Liastele:

When you pull the kids out of school you are pulling them out of the government programs that come with school. 

Could you plant a garden and add a gardening unit for your younger kids? Where food comes from is an amazing thing to learn. Even in an apartment you could do hydroponic vertical gardening. Google it, its pretty cool.

dawncs
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Have you tried looking for a waiver in your state? There are some disability waivers that can get you help. It might not be financial in nature entirely, but it can come in some other ways to cut your budget. You have to realize that they are making it harder for homeowners to get state and federal benefits. The income thresholds are very low to begin with outside WIC.

Quoting Monkiebut: We have a 1/8 acre garden and raise chickens (we are slaughtering 9 this week) but it is not enough. My son goes through over 12 gallons of whole milk a month and is on a high fat/ calorie diet. He gets Wic but it only covers 3 gallons of whole milk and NOTHING high fat in terms if other foods.
We are part of a gleaning community and get most of our other foods that way but what I'm saying is that I would need to feed an EXTRA 40 meals a month.

Quoting Liastele:

Dawn

Monkiebut
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:57 AM
What. Is a disability waiver?

Quoting dawncs:

Have you tried looking for a waiver in your state? There are some disability waivers that can get you help. It might not be financial in nature entirely, but it can come in some other ways to cut your budget. You have to realize that they are making it harder for homeowners to get state and federal benefits. The income thresholds are very low to begin with outside WIC.

Quoting Monkiebut: We have a 1/8 acre garden and raise chickens (we are slaughtering 9 this week) but it is not enough. My son goes through over 12 gallons of whole milk a month and is on a high fat/ calorie diet. He gets Wic but it only covers 3 gallons of whole milk and NOTHING high fat in terms if other foods.

Quoting Liastele:

dawncs
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

It is called in most cases the Katie Beckett waiver. It is for families with severly disabled children to be able to live in the community instead of a state institution, hospital, etc. It covers like respite care, health insurance, etc. 

Quoting Monkiebut: What. Is a disability waiver?

Quoting dawncs:

Quoting Liastele:

Dawn

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Aww sweety! HUGS! That's definitely a tough road your walking.
Have you tried talking to the Catholic Charities? They can be very helpful sometimes. Also, have you tried looking into St. Joseph's?
If being in school is creating more health problems, maybe you should consider homeschooling them too?

Quoting Monkiebut: Our goal is to homeschool due to our youngests health condition (cf). He gets lung infections 8-10x a year and each time he gets one his life expectancy shortens. He is only 2.5 now but even his sisters in school is causing major health problems.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I'm sorry that I'm no real help.  Do you have a cheap bulk foods store near you?  We live in the Amish/Mennonite area and there are some very cheap bulk foods around here.  Our oatmeal is $0.65 a pound and feeds us well for breakfasts.

JATomlinson
by on Dec. 7, 2013 at 3:37 PM

Try salvation army and if you go to church ask the church for help.  The only other thing I can really think of is to start making some extra money.  Do something online like expotv, blogging for profit, selling graphic design on zazzle, selling your extra stuff on Craigslist, selling your talents on Fiverr, or selling handmade goods on Etsy.  This is how we provide food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN