Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Free lunch... But homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post
So I am not currently homeschooling but that is the goal, I'm hoping for next year.
My question is this, I've got 2 in school currently. We don't qualify for food stamps but do qualify for $.40 lunch and free breakfast. So that's only $.80/ day or $4/ week for my kids to eat 2 meals. We are struggling and go to the food bank as it is (2 of our 3 kids are disabled, yes we get SSI but is barely covers gas and expenses related to their disability).
Are there any programs that help homeschooling families offset food costs, when those families qualify for free/ reduced lunch at school?
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mandallyn
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:01 PM
My state had a program called LaHeat (sp?) and they help to reduce electric costs for qualifying families. Maybe your state will have something similar, every little bit helps.

We're in a similar position money wise, except we do qualify for food stamps. This was my son's first full month home. We went through that money quickly. Definitely check out salvation army and Angel food, we had that when my husband was in the military and they really do offer a lot of food for cheaper than you'd get in the grocery store.
Lynette
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 4:06 PM
Could you or your husband donate plasma? My husband has been doing it. If he goes 2x a week he gets $50. So that's a extra 200 a month.
gratefulgal
by Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Quoting Mandallyn: My state had a program called LaHeat (sp?) and they help to reduce electric costs for qualifying families. Maybe your state will have something similar, every little bit helps.

We're in a similar position money wise, except we do qualify for food stamps. This was my son's first full month home. We went through that money quickly. Definitely check out salvation army and Angel food, we had that when my husband was in the military and they really do offer a lot of food for cheaper than you'd get in the grocery store.

It's called LIHEAP. Also, most cities only allow you to visit a food pantry once every 30 days, so as to lessen the burden on them, and they keep track via computer records that the banks share. It is so sad, but you are not alone. It is getting harder and harder to buy food. It's amazing how much it costs!

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 9:14 PM
2 moms liked this
I second the plasma donation suggestion, if it is feasible and you qualify. I donated plasma for two years when ODS was little, after XH took off and I got back on my unsteady feet. It literally made the difference between me eating meals with ODS or just feeding him while I starved. It also kept my crappy car running and the lights on during that dark time.
I really feel for you. I've been absolutely destitute, homeless, unable to find a job, and without help or family as I was stranded in another state by my lovely first husband, only to be turned down for any assistance whatsoever, let alone food stamps. I cannot even tell you how I made it through that time mentally and spiritually, but by Grace. It remains a fist-clenching memory for me and an appalling fact of life for so many people these days. I never succumbed then, but I won't say I wouldn't steal to feed a child should I ever find myself back in that position.
In your case, I think you should go to the assistance office every week or month. If you can't feed your kids and you aren't gambling, blowing your cash on drugs, or living beyond your means in a mansion, you qualify for assistance, IMO. It may be a matter of simply needing a different caseworker to see you. Also, Catholic charities here used to cover utility bills for three months at a throw to get families on their feet. You could use that period to stock your pantry, if you could get the help. Also, ask for help. Ask family, ask friends. Join your local groups and ask them for ideas on raising cash. There are some enterprising women in my homeschool group, who have found various ways of earning money through handmade goods and personal services.
Good luck and blessings! Hang in there!
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 7, 2013 at 11:03 PM

*hugs*

Monkiebut
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:45 AM
I already donate plasma twice a week, that's what pays for food as it is. We don't qualify because they cannot deduct the child support my husband pays ($838/month) from our income prior to approval. They cannot lower the child support because my POS ex won't let him adopt my 2 girls (they were 1.5 & 3 when we got together, they are now 6 & 7.5). It's a really messed up system!
We also can't get help with utilities cause we live in a small town and pay local small businesses that run the utilities. It's not too expensive compared to the cities exaggerated prices but we can't afford $150 electric bills either (it's usually $80-$100).

Quoting tuffymama: I second the plasma donation suggestion, if it is feasible and you qualify. I donated plasma for two years when ODS was little, after XH took off and I got back on my unsteady feet. It literally made the difference between me eating meals with ODS or just feeding him while I starved. It also kept my crappy car running and the lights on during that dark time.

I really feel for you. I've been absolutely destitute, homeless, unable to find a job, and without help or family as I was stranded in another state by my lovely first husband, only to be turned down for any assistance whatsoever, let alone food stamps. I cannot even tell you how I made it through that time mentally and spiritually, but by Grace. It remains a fist-clenching memory for me and an appalling fact of life for so many people these days. I never succumbed then, but I won't say I wouldn't steal to feed a child should I ever find myself back in that position.

In your case, I think you should go to the assistance office every week or month. If you can't feed your kids and you aren't gambling, blowing your cash on drugs, or living beyond your means in a mansion, you qualify for assistance, IMO. It may be a matter of simply needing a different caseworker to see you. Also, Catholic charities here used to cover utility bills for three months at a throw to get families on their feet. You could use that period to stock your pantry, if you could get the help. Also, ask for help. Ask family, ask friends. Join your local groups and ask them for ideas on raising cash. There are some enterprising women in my homeschool group, who have found various ways of earning money through handmade goods and personal services.

Good luck and blessings! Hang in there!
Tiff_R_92
by on Dec. 8, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm just curious if you can't afford to buy food for 3 meals for everyone as it is, how are you to afford all the learning materials needed for homeschooling?

Edit.

Not being rude. I'm genuinely curious.
Monkiebut
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 1:10 AM
We would be doing k12 which is 100% funded by the local school district. It's the only way we could afford homeschool

Quoting Tiff_R_92: I'm just curious if you can't afford to buy food for 3 meals for everyone as it is, how are you to afford all the learning materials needed for homeschooling?

Edit.

Not being rude. I'm genuinely curious.
Pukalani79
by Kristin on Dec. 8, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Our county provides an optional homeschool program.  The kids go once a week and they provide free curriculum of our choice.  We also qualify for the kids to get reduced lunches, and through the program, they can still get those lunches for the low price.  I know this type of program isn't everywhere, but it might be worth looking to see if there's something similar.  Also, I'd check with local homeschooling groups, and see if any ofthem have suggestions for your area.

Monkiebut
by Member on Dec. 8, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Thx. What state do you live in?

Quoting Pukalani79:

Our county provides an optional homeschool program.  The kids go once a week and they provide free curriculum of our choice.  We also qualify for the kids to get reduced lunches, and through the program, they can still get those lunches for the low price.  I know this type of program isn't everywhere, but it might be worth looking to see if there's something similar.  Also, I'd check with local homeschooling groups, and see if any ofthem have suggestions for your area.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)