Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Free lunch... But homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post
So I am not currently homeschooling but that is the goal, I'm hoping for next year.
My question is this, I've got 2 in school currently. We don't qualify for food stamps but do qualify for $.40 lunch and free breakfast. So that's only $.80/ day or $4/ week for my kids to eat 2 meals. We are struggling and go to the food bank as it is (2 of our 3 kids are disabled, yes we get SSI but is barely covers gas and expenses related to their disability).
Are there any programs that help homeschooling families offset food costs, when those families qualify for free/ reduced lunch at school?
by on Dec. 6, 2013 at 9:54 PM
Replies (31-40):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It depends on your state. Here in IN, I don't think so, but I have a friend in NC who homeschools, and since her kids would qualify for free lunch in public school, she gets a check for about $10/week for her son's lunches. You'd have to find out the dealio in your state/district.

ETA: my friend who does this is using K12.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Dec. 9, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I'm in Southern Oregon. 

Quoting Monkiebut: Thx. What state do you live in?

Quoting Pukalani79:

Our county provides an optional homeschool program.  The kids go once a week and they provide free curriculum of our choice.  We also qualify for the kids to get reduced lunches, and through the program, they can still get those lunches for the low price.  I know this type of program isn't everywhere, but it might be worth looking to see if there's something similar.  Also, I'd check with local homeschooling groups, and see if any ofthem have suggestions for your area.

LilliesValley
by on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:37 PM
If you have one under five I would still do wic. It will be some food. Even if for just one child it would spread out to all of them. Are you getting cs from your exh? If not you could offer a deal to wipe the slate for cs so your dh could adopt them. My bil that.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Quoting hipmomto3:

It depends on your state. Here in IN, I don't think so, but I have a friend in NC who homeschools, and since her kids would qualify for free lunch in public school, she gets a check for about $10/week for her son's lunches. You'd have to find out the dealio in your state/district.

ETA: my friend who does this is using K12.

Technically your friend isn't homeschooling. Her kids are enrolled in a public school at home program and that is why they qualify for free lunch.

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 12:47 PM

"Free" K12 schools are technically public schools. Your children will still legally be considered public school students, therefore they might qualify for some type of "free lunch" program.

Quoting Monkiebut: We would be doing k12 which is 100% funded by the local school district. It's the only way we could afford homeschool

Quoting Tiff_R_92: I'm just curious if you can't afford to buy food for 3 meals for everyone as it is, how are you to afford all the learning materials needed for homeschooling?

Edit.

Not being rude. I'm genuinely curious.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Ok. Then technically you aren't homeschoolers (legally) - your children will still be public school students. You might as your local K12 rep/advisor if there are provisions made for this.

Quoting Monkiebut: We would be doing k12 which is 100% funded by the local school district. It's the only way we could afford homeschool

Quoting Tiff_R_92: I'm just curious if you can't afford to buy food for 3 meals for everyone as it is, how are you to afford all the learning materials needed for homeschooling?

Edit.

Not being rude. I'm genuinely curious.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:09 PM

In my state you have to prove that you can financially support the child, without any assistance (including medical), in order for a bio parent to give up rights and a step parent to adopt. Many states have similar laws.

Quoting LilliesValley: If you have one under five I would still do wic. It will be some food. Even if for just one child it would spread out to all of them. Are you getting cs from your exh? If not you could offer a deal to wipe the slate for cs so your dh could adopt them. My bil that.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

spitfire06
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:14 PM
Does the school your kids go to have a home school program? If they do you might be able to talk to them about this...do you guys attend a church? Church's often do what they can to help add long ad you share that there is a need
monkeybunns
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Can you teach music lessons?  Do you have a talent you could teach classes for?  Do you have a Bachelor's Degree-if so you could try applying through Tutor.com-it's a real legit place to make money but you have to have a degree and focused time you can tutor students online.  Have you tried asking a church for help?  I'm sure you've already cut out cable, etc but is there anywhere else you can cut you budget?  We lived on about $100 a month for groceries for all meals 3 years ago because we didn't qualify for food stamps and had an insane amount of medical debt so we just had no extra-some months we had less than $100 and it was very hard but we could do it by me making bread from scratch (buy flour from bulk bins or at least compare prices between bags and bulk), buying whole chickens and cooking them in the crock pot then making a couple casseroles from leftovers as well as chicken noodle soup (buy meats bone in and you can make soups which make the $ stretch a lot more).  You can freeze the leftovers so that they don't go bad sitting in your fridge.  It's time consuming to make everything from scratch but you save a ton of money.

Monkiebut
by Member on Dec. 9, 2013 at 2:24 PM
We already talked to a lawyer and we have to wait for bio dad to not have any contact for 12 months. He goes like 10-11 months than texts me so the clock starts over. There is no such law in our state, plus 2 of our kids are legally disabled and get disability insurance for the rest of their lives. Just my sons monthly medications are over $3000.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

In my state you have to prove that you can financially support the child, without any assistance (including medical), in order for a bio parent to give up rights and a step parent to adopt. Many states have similar laws.

Quoting LilliesValley: If you have one under five I would still do wic. It will be some food. Even if for just one child it would spread out to all of them. Are you getting cs from your exh? If not you could offer a deal to wipe the slate for cs so your dh could adopt them. My bil that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)