Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello Ladies!

Do you have snow days when the local ps does?  I let the girls play out in the snow last week when ours did.  PS has another one today, but we were planning on measuring out our gift jars and baking.  I had science labs for both too, and that never seems like school.

Just wondered what you all do.

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Replies (21-30):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I let them have the morning off to go have their fun..but we take random days off anyway, so I figure they can do some work after they're done playing outside. They get a lot of free time every day anyway, so it doesn't really affect them very much.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Ha! They wre technically correct! I'd better be careful; I can easily see that happening here. :O

Quoting momof3inTN:

Leave it to homeschooled kids to try and find a way around that one. We actually did get snow at our last house and one year they started carrying buckets of snow into the schoolroom. LOL They were 8 and 7 at the time. Such cuties! Thankfully they kept the snow in the buckets. We finished a little early so they could enjoy the snow before it melted. Now we've moved (to middle Tennessee) and we don't get snow often but I still use that line when the local schools are closed. HAHAHA

Quoting TidewaterClan: That's actually did make me laugh out loud!

Quoting momof3inTN:

Nope. We don't do snow days.

Actually, I tell my kids we'll take a snow day when it snows inside the schoolroom. LOL

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 4:57 PM
They played outside, then we did some light work. I surprised them at 2:00 & told them I was going to have them write an essay comparing and contrasting two similar things. When I pulled up at the movie theater they got all excited because they've been wanting to see "Frozen." We'll read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen" tonight.

The theater by us has special Tuesday rates & I figure there's no school like homeschool to turn fun into a worthwhile lesson on a 'snow' day. :'D

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I let them have the morning off to go have their fun..but we take random days off anyway, so I figure they can do some work after they're done playing outside. They get a lot of free time every day anyway, so it doesn't really affect them very much.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Public schools here were out on Friday, and again yesterday and today. I am thinking tomorrow they'll be back in session with a 2 hour delay for buses to navigate side streets, which are still kind of icy. 

We did school as usual on Friday. Yesterday we did math in the morning, which is our usual for Mondays because we have co-op classes all afternoon. Yesterday my older two had play practice all afternoon for the co-op program last night. So that was a school day. Then today we blew book work off and played in the snow, went to the supermarket for some homebound neighbors, and then visited with them for about an hour. Then played in the snow some more. But tonight we may venture downtown for an orchestra performance so I think we are going to call this a school day too. :)

I try to balance it - do enough learning stuff that I feel ok counting it as a school day, but have an easy day.

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM
Those sound like wonderful days! That's sweet to help out your neighbors. I like your balancing idea. Usually we more than tackle the world, so I figured today could be extra fun (and decently educational).

Quoting hipmomto3:

Public schools here were out on Friday, and again yesterday and today. I am thinking tomorrow they'll be back in session with a 2 hour delay for buses to navigate side streets, which are still kind of icy. 

We did school as usual on Friday. Yesterday we did math in the morning, which is our usual for Mondays because we have co-op classes all afternoon. Yesterday my older two had play practice all afternoon for the co-op program last night. So that was a school day. Then today we blew book work off and played in the snow, went to the supermarket for some homebound neighbors, and then visited with them for about an hour. Then played in the snow some more. But tonight we may venture downtown for an orchestra performance so I think we are going to call this a school day too. :)

I try to balance it - do enough learning stuff that I feel ok counting it as a school day, but have an easy day.

motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:32 PM
1 mom liked this
No we just get done with our work and then go play outside.
Bleacher-mom
by Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

This last week is when we, and I'm sure most, had their first snow storm. So we actually had a "Nice Weather" day the day before were we met up with friends and played at the park before it got too cold. Our plan then was to do school work during the days that it was cold outside, of course allowing a little bit of time to play in the snow. But we did have other friends come over the next day, since they were out of school we all just hung out at my house. Not usually what we would do, but we try to stay very flexable.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 10, 2013 at 8:44 PM
1 mom liked this

That is such an awesome idea!!  Way to turn a family fun day into a field trip and great lesson on essay writing!!  I may just steal this idea ;)

Quoting TidewaterClan: They played outside, then we did some light work. I surprised them at 2:00 & told them I was going to have them write an essay comparing and contrasting two similar things. When I pulled up at the movie theater they got all excited because they've been wanting to see "Frozen." We'll read Hans Christian Andersen's "The Snow Queen" tonight.

The theater by us has special Tuesday rates & I figure there's no school like homeschool to turn fun into a worthwhile lesson on a 'snow' day. :'D

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:49 AM

I like that Nice Weather idea.  I'm sure your children really enjoyed having their friends over the next day too.

Quoting Bleacher-mom:

This last week is when we, and I'm sure most, had their first snow storm. So we actually had a "Nice Weather" day the day before were we met up with friends and played at the park before it got too cold. Our plan then was to do school work during the days that it was cold outside, of course allowing a little bit of time to play in the snow. But we did have other friends come over the next day, since they were out of school we all just hung out at my house. Not usually what we would do, but we try to stay very flexable.

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

We sometimes have ice days but not too much snow here.  I probably won't do anything different because I'm always feeling like we are behind anyway.  I do take lots of breaks for family trips and when family comes to visit so I feel like I'm always trying to get ahead or make up time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)