Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Can you ladies give me your opinions on these two?

Posted by   + Show Post

So, I'm still hunting high and low for history curriculum. I've looked at many of the suggestions that I've been given, but the biggest problem I keep running into is how reading intensive they are. While Jamie's reading has been progressively improving throughout this year, and her comprehension is starting to grow a bit too, I'm just really really leary having her sit down and read and copy and memorize. Its not how she learns at all.  On my hunt I've found these two progrmas: TRISMS (which I know is mostly high school, but I was looking at the 6-8th program they offer), and See Time Fly Series.

See Time Fly has "flights" instead of chapters, and each flight has 5 paragraphs. There are questions to answer after each paragraph, and there is a workbook that goes with it, including drawing something. It's more learning through pictures and visually than it is by reading. I figured I could use that for at least 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, and then spend 8th grade on US history (which I'd still have to find....). It looks easy enough for my little guy (who'd be K/1st grade next year) to do if he was read to (which she could do), and I can make it more complicated for her if I needed to, so I'm killing 2 birds with one stone. (I hope the picture came in below, it is an example from their website of their flights)

(above is part of the workbook)
The bonus for me with this one, is that it's $100 for all three books and workbooks - so three years of history, instead of $100 each year, which is what I've been spending now.

TRISMS on the other hand is exceptionally different. It is a Unit Study program and goes over History, Geography, Science, and Langauge Arts. From the examples I've seen, I wouldn't use the Science in it as a full Science curriculum...but it would make a neat supplement...or I could build off of it since I still haven't found a science program I want to use yet either :/. The History Masterminds (the 6th-8th program) goes from Ancient Egypt to the Space Race. The student has three binders, one for Scientists, Inventions, and Explorers. From my understanding - and I could be wrong - get a questioneer, and then they have to research the person, invention, event being studied, and they essentially write their own text book(s). 

I don't know if Jamie would fit this, but I almost feel like if she had to look up the information on her own, maybe she'd remember it better? It seems to be extremely flexible though, so the bits I don't want to do, looks like I can take them out easily enough (such as the bible/church history portions). I'm torn still on the Language Arts part of it. I like what we're using, and so does Jamie so I'd hate to change it up, but at the same time, I like what they have for assignments too :/ Being a History major, I love how this is set up and entirely reserached base, so I don't know if it is my love for the set up that really wants to use this or if it would be a good fit. I know it is how I learn too, but I feel I'm to clouded over to really make the decision if Jamie is struggling with reading and writing, if having her research on her own is good, or if I'm setting her up for failure, and regressing on the progress we've made. The major downfall for this program for me is the cost...it is quite expensive, which looks like its around $270... and I'm not positive if that includes everything. I'd also have learn more about IEW...

For the remainder of this year though, I decided I'm going to take the scope and sequence of what we already have, and try to set it up similar to Trisms to see if it will even work for her... My fear with the See Time Fly series, is that it might be too easy for her even though I can add to it. I know I have to take cost into account to, but I'm shuffling a lot of our stuff around again *sigh* I wish this was easier lol.
Thank you for sticking out this far if you have!!!  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 1:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Go to Amazon.com (they have more look inside features). Look for geography instead of history. Also, some good work books out there under social studies. 

I think their limit is k-8. They make great supplements.

My photos 6th grade. I ended up buying from Barnes and noble. 

Quoting TJandKarasMom: So I am searching the Internet for spectrum workbooks, and can hardly find any history ones at all. Where did you find them? I have middle schoolers as well and feel like I need a bit more of a guide...we started at the beginning and are on Ancient Greece right now, heading for Ancient Rome.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

Oh my, that price tag is outrageous to me (I'm a cheapskate). 

I wouldn't pick either of those. 

For my middle schoolers I bought used history text books form the thrift store ($2). Then I have spectrum workbooks ($7 each for roughly 70 lessons). And we use library resources (free). Then documentaries from tv, YouTube, library, and other internet sources (free). 

If I feel anything extra is needed I make my own worksheets, tests, quizzes and projects. 

If you are good with history, I think you could do the same. 

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Also, these are good...flash kids editors....not complete curriculum! Supplemental imo.

Quoting TJandKarasMom: So I am searching the Internet for spectrum workbooks, and can hardly find any history ones at all. Where did you find them? I have middle schoolers as well and feel like I need a bit more of a guide...we started at the beginning and are on Ancient Greece right now, heading for Ancient Rome.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

For my middle schoolers I bought used history text books form the thrift store ($2). Then I have spectrum workbooks ($7 each for roughly 70 lessons). And we use library resources (free). Then documentaries from tv, YouTube, library, and other internet sources (free). 

If I feel anything extra is needed I make my own worksheets, tests, quizzes and projects. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM
I like the idea of the Flight series.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Lol, I was thinking along those lines as I read it the first time too, but on at the same time, I thought it would make good open discussion, and hopefully for Jamie, looking more into how and why Egyptians dressed the way they did and put make up on, etc.  I figured for my little guy, that is general enough that I can get some pretty interesting answers lol

Quoting hwblyf:

Ok, I'm a complete pain in the ass.  They say that the Egyptian people were handsome with black hair and then ask how you imagine they look.  Handsome is so very subjective, and then to be asked to describe how they look from that, I think that's asking for some quesitonable stuff.  I like the layout, but I'd have to see more of it, because I'm just not comfortable with their visual description (or lack thereof) of Egyptians.  Not even sure why that was put in there.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I tried putting my own history curriculum together, and I felt like I was taking it too far with Jamie and she was getting overwhelmed last year when history started to flop.  I need a baseline that will hold me back, and that will also keep her interested.  We also got it worked out in our school budget where I spend roughly $100 for each subject for both kids. Some come out more, and some come out less, so I tend to average out there anyway, and the more expensive ones have to be resusable with Riley when he gets old enough to use them.

She doesn't learn from video or audio, so YouTube and the History channle in history has failed me :(  We used Spectrum workbooks a lot our first year and it worked great, and then only reading and Language Arts for second and third grade, and it was just out right torture for both of us. She used to love workbooks when she was younger, and I think doing those everyday just killed it for us.

Quoting PurpleCupcake:

LilliesValley
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Oh I'm so glad someone else said this because it was my first thought too.

Op I'm a history major too but my dd loves to read. I'd try to find videos and pictures. Pictures could be a great way (but may mean a lot of work for you but it would be cheaper). Maybe if you do unit studies that incorporate math, science, and history along with reading and writing. Just a thought.

Quoting hwblyf:

Ok, I'm a complete pain in the ass.  They say that the Egyptian people were handsome with black hair and then ask how you imagine they look.  Handsome is so very subjective, and then to be asked to describe how they look from that, I think that's asking for some quesitonable stuff.  I like the layout, but I'd have to see more of it, because I'm just not comfortable with their visual description (or lack thereof) of Egyptians.  Not even sure why that was put in there.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 9:21 AM

My daughter hates reading and struggles with it, which is why I'm trying to find something that is less reading, but will still get the point across. Audio and videos don't help her either. Where I can absorb things off the history channle, she tunes it out and learns nothing. I'm not against mixing history and science together, but we're loving the math we're doing, and after finding something that works there, I'd be an idiot to change it. The Trisms program was unit studies that incorporated lang arts with science, and I wouldn't be against something like that.. My biggest problem with putting stuff together myself and tryign to do unit studies is that I feel I push to hard, and she gets lost and left behind, and I start making up lessons in ways I'd like to learn because I struggle to make lessons in ways she learns, and then we both suffer. She also has it in her head that I know nothing, and will fight tooth and nail unless I've got a teachers manual to show her that I'm not making stuff up...this happened all last year when I attempted a unit study the second half the year when history flopped on us.

As far as what was written in the Flight, I have a feeling that topics like that, which are vague and subjective, are good starting points for discussion, and can lead to looking up more about a topic. I've learned more while studying history through vague, subjective, and open ended questions than I have by just "heres a topic to choose from, go write a paper on it..." I at least know how to push from that as a starting point without going overboard if that makes sense?

Quoting LilliesValley: Oh I'm so glad someone else said this because it was my first thought too.

Op I'm a history major too but my dd loves to read. I'd try to find videos and pictures. Pictures could be a great way (but may mean a lot of work for you but it would be cheaper). Maybe if you do unit studies that incorporate math, science, and history along with reading and writing. Just a thought.

Quoting hwblyf:

TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

We use Harcourt Horizons; I bought it from this site (20% off, free shipping).  I have the 3rd grade version (about communities) and the 6th (World History).  Both of my girls LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the World History.  I bought the set with the teacher's edition on disc so I can pace us appropriately.  Else I'm dancing and saying "just one more chapter girls!" lol.  Not quite that bad, but I would add too much in a day.  

There are used editions on Amazon for less, including older versions.

We include the Ancient Civilization History Pocket to add some hands on fun to the lessons.

The ones you're looking at sound really nice too, just thought I'd share. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Does Jamie like Barbie? Maybe she would like to know where Barbie came from and who Barbie is based on? If not Barbie, then something she does like that she can start of learning how to research with?

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm worried it might be too easy too... but I figured  that if there is at least a base, it'd be easy enough to then go find library books or a video or something from History Channel to go along with it and then come up with a project or something (if needed). Here's the website for it : http://www.ganderpublishing.com/Visualizing-and-Verbalizing-See-Time-Fly-History-Series-Volume-One-Workbook.htmlIt does say it's "late elementary/middle school through college" reading level... but again, not sure how much of a challenge it would be, but on the other hand...its better than nothing right? lolAs far as Jamie and researching...I have no idea. She's not a very self motivated type learner, so I don't know how it'll go, but I was going to try out the rest of this year that way since Story of the World just isn't working. I have her read the chapter, and then I read it to her (sometimes the other way around), and then ask her what the chapter was about and she can't tell me. I'm giving up with it... I also wouldn't have her reseraching a ton of different things this year. I was thinking of making up a question sheet that as she researches, she can jot the answer down, and then I'd help her put the questions alltogether in paragraph form.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I am loving that See Time Fly series.  I wonder if it's too easy for my kids (10 and 11)...but it would be nice to have it already figured out for me..I am flying by the seat of my pants and I am no history major.

Does Jamie like to research?  That seems like a lot, to research everything, for a 9 year old...but if she enjoys it then it would be ok.  I think you should try doing it with some topics you are covering now to see if she likes that method.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

She is the most peculiar kid with Barbie lol. She loves only ONE Barbie and thats it. We have done an American Girl history series before. We did Felicity the first year we started and then Rebecca for part of last year when I was desperatly trying to salvage history and everything else kept crumbling around our ears... I could try a stab at it again but have her research with the doll instead like you suggested. And "they" can research still about the doll's time period to make it more relateable to the doll she's using or country...my brain is working now lol Thank you :) 

Quoting kirbymom: Does Jamie like Barbie? Maybe she would like to know where Barbie came from and who Barbie is based on? If not Barbie, then something she does like that she can start of learning how to research with?

Quoting No_Difference:

I'm worried it might be too easy too... but I figured  that if there is at least a base, it'd be easy enough to then go find library books or a video or something from History Channel to go along with it and then come up with a project or something (if needed). Here's the website for it : http://www.ganderpublishing.com/Visualizing-and-Verbalizing-See-Time-Fly-History-Series-Volume-One-Workbook.htmlIt does say it's "late elementary/middle school through college" reading level... but again, not sure how much of a challenge it would be, but on the other hand...its better than nothing right? lolAs far as Jamie and researching...I have no idea. She's not a very self motivated type learner, so I don't know how it'll go, but I was going to try out the rest of this year that way since Story of the World just isn't working. I have her read the chapter, and then I read it to her (sometimes the other way around), and then ask her what the chapter was about and she can't tell me. I'm giving up with it... I also wouldn't have her reseraching a ton of different things this year. I was thinking of making up a question sheet that as she researches, she can jot the answer down, and then I'd help her put the questions alltogether in paragraph form.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I am loving that See Time Fly series.  I wonder if it's too easy for my kids (10 and 11)...but it would be nice to have it already figured out for me..I am flying by the seat of my pants and I am no history major.

Does Jamie like to research?  That seems like a lot, to research everything, for a 9 year old...but if she enjoys it then it would be ok.  I think you should try doing it with some topics you are covering now to see if she likes that method.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN