Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Time 4 Learning for middle school?

Posted by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM
  • 22 Replies

I'm still struggling to find a good curriculum for 14yo dd. She's behind in everything and is not looking forward to working with me. We tried a few times before her vacation and she just drug her feet. So I saw Time 4 Learning and thought I'd give it a try. She loves being on the computer anyway and I figured this way she can work more independently. I've heard it's a little light so I was planning on adding some extra creative writing, reading and Life of Fred math.

Do any of you have experiances with it?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 10, 2013 at 10:23 PM

I do not but I don't think it would hurt to let her give it a try for a month or so!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:06 PM

That's what I'm thinking too. Anything to get her excited or even just not dreading school work, works for me,lol. And if not, I'm flexible. We'll try something else.

Quoting usmom3:

I do not but I don't think it would hurt to let her give it a try for a month or so!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 10, 2013 at 11:12 PM

Yep, Some times you have to try a little bit of everything, maybe even a few different times before you find what works best!

Quoting paganbaby:

That's what I'm thinking too. Anything to get her excited or even just not dreading school work, works for me,lol. And if not, I'm flexible. We'll try something else.

Quoting usmom3:

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I think it is good for younger grades but I am not sure about middle school. I would give it a try and see how it goes. Do they still have a trial period?
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Ain't that the truth! Ds and I are still finding our footing. Our new creative writing seems to be going well, reading will more than likely stay the same I let him pick whatever book he wants) science will always be a favorite. He's learning about pathology currently (dh is grossed out,lol) We're still picking our way in history and social studies. Early Greek life was a flop :-/ And I have high hopes for Life of Fred. All in all, I feel good about his.

Quoting usmom3:

Yep, Some times you have to try a little bit of everything, maybe even a few different times before you find what works best!

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting usmom3:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM

That's the thing, I've a lot of good things about the elementry but not so much about the upper grades. When I checked they added highschool so that's pretty exciting. If this works, dd can take it all the way. And yes, I think they have something like 2 weeks?

Quoting jen2150: I think it is good for younger grades but I am not sure about middle school. I would give it a try and see how it goes. Do they still have a trial period?

nicki1018
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

I have experience with Time4Learning but not middle school. We used it for the first year of homeschooling. We loved it. I enjoyed all of the activities and the kids did as well. Again thought this was for K and first grade.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:35 PM

The girl I tutored used it as a base. I can't stand it. It's light, easy to cheat, and definitely NOT a core, imo.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:36 PM

As an aside, you could get a very nice curriculum for the amount you spend on that. It's $20/monthly; for that cost, for say a 10 month school year, you could buy some very good pieces of curriculum, suited to her needs, that are MUCH better than T4L.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I'm looking. I just worry about shelling out X amount of money for something she probably won't like :-(

Do you have any suggestions?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As an aside, you could get a very nice curriculum for the amount you spend on that. It's $20/monthly; for that cost, for say a 10 month school year, you could buy some very good pieces of curriculum, suited to her needs, that are MUCH better than T4L.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN