Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Time 4 Learning for middle school?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm still struggling to find a good curriculum for 14yo dd. She's behind in everything and is not looking forward to working with me. We tried a few times before her vacation and she just drug her feet. So I saw Time 4 Learning and thought I'd give it a try. She loves being on the computer anyway and I figured this way she can work more independently. I've heard it's a little light so I was planning on adding some extra creative writing, reading and Life of Fred math.

Do any of you have experiances with it?

by on Dec. 10, 2013 at 9:43 PM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I have loads of suggestions - but I'm afriad they may not be helpful. You know that while I'm all about fun and games, when it comes down to it, and after switching so many times... I don't really care if my kiddos like it; they still have to do it.

What is your tentative yearly budget for her? Assume you're starting from scratch with her. Is she a visual learner? So close to high school, what are her goals for after high school? Math placement? Any learning differences (i.e. dyslexia, ADD, etc)?

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm looking. I just worry about shelling out X amount of money for something she probably won't like :-(

Do you have any suggestions?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As an aside, you could get a very nice curriculum for the amount you spend on that. It's $20/monthly; for that cost, for say a 10 month school year, you could buy some very good pieces of curriculum, suited to her needs, that are MUCH better than T4L.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Mommynay2
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Destinay used it before, and at first she liked it, but then she lost interest. In the end it was like pulling teeth for her to do it. I liked it because they did all the planning with it, and the cost was great, and no commitment. I would just try it.
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 11, 2013 at 5:06 PM
What about starting her own blog as a journal and she could do an online one? My daughter found it to be somewhat therapeutic. She even asked me to critique it. After awhile she even thought it was fun bouncing ideas around.
Maybe this would work for you two.
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I forgot about that,lol. I'd say she's more visual and and she has adhd so playing attention for a period of time is difficult. Ummm...I'd say my budget at this point is about 200$ maybe a little less. She's behind in nearly everything, especially language arts. I don't know her goals really are. She says she wants to be a doctor but shows very little interest in school or medicine. I really believe she likes the title more than anything. At this point she's mainly interested in Facebook, make-up, friends and boys.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I have loads of suggestions - but I'm afriad they may not be helpful. You know that while I'm all about fun and games, when it comes down to it, and after switching so many times... I don't really care if my kiddos like it; they still have to do it.

What is your tentative yearly budget for her? Assume you're starting from scratch with her. Is she a visual learner? So close to high school, what are her goals for after high school? Math placement? Any learning differences (i.e. dyslexia, ADD, etc)?

Quoting paganbaby:

I'm looking. I just worry about shelling out X amount of money for something she probably won't like :-(

Do you have any suggestions?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

As an aside, you could get a very nice curriculum for the amount you spend on that. It's $20/monthly; for that cost, for say a 10 month school year, you could buy some very good pieces of curriculum, suited to her needs, that are MUCH better than T4L.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
1 mom liked this

That sounds great! I'll suggest that as soon as she gets home.

Quoting kirbymom: What about starting her own blog as a journal and she could do an online one? My daughter found it to be somewhat therapeutic. She even asked me to critique it. After awhile she even thought it was fun bouncing ideas around.
Maybe this would work for you two.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:30 PM

How is Destinay? And what do you use now? I really like that about it too,lol.

Quoting Mommynay2: Destinay used it before, and at first she liked it, but then she lost interest. In the end it was like pulling teeth for her to do it. I liked it because they did all the planning with it, and the cost was great, and no commitment. I would just try it.

PinkButterfly66
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:29 PM

It is a little light.  Kahn Academy for math too.  

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:52 PM

It uses Kahn Academy?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

PinkButterfly66
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:53 PM

No it doesn't use Kahn Academy, I was suggesting that as a back up.  Sorry I was confusing.

Quoting paganbaby:

It uses Kahn Academy?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Oh, okay. Thanks :-)

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

No it doesn't use Kahn Academy, I was suggesting that as a back up.  Sorry I was confusing.

Quoting paganbaby:

It uses Kahn Academy?

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)