Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Going to school while homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post
Has anyone gone back to school while homeschooling your kids? How did it go?
Dh and I are hoping to take a few classes soon, but I am considering continuing after the classes and going for a degree.
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Replies (11-20):
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I have my 7 yr old and my 2 yr old and I think he is what concerns me the most. I would definitely have to stay on top of things.

Quoting No_Difference:

I've done it for two years, and might be starting up again soon. It wasn't too too bad. For me, I was still getting into the swing of homeschooling so I was finding it hard to get things done while my oldest was working (my little guy was a toddler so that was a whole different ball park there lol). I had a lot of late nights. Looking at it now, I've kinda got a routine for myself between the two kids, and we finish right around 2 in the afternoon, and there are many opportunities for me to work on things while my daughter is working (my little guy is already done with his stuff before Jamie works on her stuff usually). 

I also found it helpful when  I was working on certain topics to incorporate them into whatever lesson we were doing that day in the same subject. My history classes for instance would get mentioned in Jamie's history lesson and we would work on something together. With my English classes, we would work on similar things. She got a much more advanced lesson, and pitifully, she was able to follow along with no issues without me having to tweak it most times. (I had pointed that out to my English professor who wasn't impressed a then 7 yr old could finish her class. Jamie might not have had the length or fancy words, but she got the point of the assignment across lol. )

I should mention too that I did online classes for myself. When my daughter was 2, I took her to the majority of my classes with me (I had made sure with the class and professor first). My Astronomy professor loved it, and Jamie has never grown tired of Astronomy since.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest will be a junior in the fall. I am thinkimg I might dual enroll him and we could do something together.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:07 PM
How many days a week did you have to set aside for you schoolwork?

Quoting motheroffour186: I have the mornings was their time and the night time was my time to work and study but I did school on online was better for me though.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM
That sounds like a good idea.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: My oldest will be a junior in the fall. I am thinkimg I might dual enroll him and we could do something together.
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this
I've heard k12 can be overwhelming in itself so I can only imagine. And if y'all had to share a computer. Maybe take a class to get your feet wet and see how it works out.

Quoting debramommyof4: I tried to do online school but I think since we were doing k12 it was just to much. I think with normal homeschooling and my kids being slightly older it would probably work better. I am just afraid after that one time.
JadeTigr7
by Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I'd love to but between five children and one that I watch 8-3 ever day I have no real time to school for me.
nicki1018
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I "go" to school while I homeschool. I haven't had any issues, I do their school during the day and do mine work at bedtime.

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:38 PM
How many hours does it take to do each night? How many nights a week? Do you do a full load? Sorry all my questions popped in my head at one time lol.

Quoting nicki1018:

I "go" to school while I homeschool. I haven't had any issues, I do their school during the day and do mine work at bedtime.

nicki1018
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Being online, and not the "paper mil colleges" people tend to think but an actual college I have two classes a term. All my work is due by Sunday at midnight. That usually includes quiz's each week, papers most classes every other week, discussions with the minimum of three post each week. Then the reading material. Each night I do about one to two hours of school work. I am usually done with everything by Friday if a paper isn't due so really it's only five days a week and that's because I stretch it out like that. Sometimes it can be less if I am able to read during the day or take a quiz or do an discussion post during the day as well. For my school you are not allowed to take more then two classes a term unless you have straight A's for a year. My load is actually pretty nice and simple for me. I don't have any problems juggling both my school and theirs.

No problem ask away. :)

Quoting Dawn07: How many hours does it take to do each night? How many nights a week? Do you do a full load? Sorry all my questions popped in my head at one time lol.

Quoting nicki1018:

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 1:02 PM

That doesn't sound to bad. Is a term like a semester? 

Quoting nicki1018:

Being online, and not the "paper mil colleges" people tend to think but an actual college I have two classes a term. All my work is due by Sunday at midnight. That usually includes quiz's each week, papers most classes every other week, discussions with the minimum of three post each week. Then the reading material. Each night I do about one to two hours of school work. I am usually done with everything by Friday if a paper isn't due so really it's only five days a week and that's because I stretch it out like that. Sometimes it can be less if I am able to read during the day or take a quiz or do an discussion post during the day as well. For my school you are not allowed to take more then two classes a term unless you have straight A's for a year. My load is actually pretty nice and simple for me. I don't have any problems juggling both my school and theirs.

No problem ask away. :)

Quoting Dawn07: How many hours does it take to do each night? How many nights a week? Do you do a full load? Sorry all my questions popped in my head at one time lol.

Quoting nicki1018:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)