Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Going to school while homeschooling

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this
Has anyone gone back to school while homeschooling your kids? How did it go?
Dh and I are hoping to take a few classes soon, but I am considering continuing after the classes and going for a degree.
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I haven't done it but here's a bump!

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
I keep talkimg about it..lol

I just need to get my courage up!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Following.  I'm still thinking about going back.

Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I havent, but I know its possible! :)
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

I haven't done it but here's a bump!

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:25 AM
That's how I've been. I'm hoping these little classes will be enough to get my feet wet and give me the confidence I need.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3: I keep talkimg about it..lol

I just need to get my courage up!
motheroffour186
by Bronze Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:39 AM
I have the mornings was their time and the night time was my time to work and study but I did school on online was better for me though.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I tried to do online school but I think since we were doing k12 it was just to much. I think with normal homeschooling and my kids being slightly older it would probably work better. I am just afraid after that one time.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:48 AM

I did it when my kids were in ps and I worked ft (I also did it when they were babies./toddlers/preschoolers and I usually worked ft...it took me 10 years to get a BS, but I did it!).  So I am pretty confident I could do it now with them home and me only working pt.  If I didn't have to work, I would have no doubts at all about doing it...but that's because I know how much I did before.

I think it's doable for anyone though, you just have to set that time aside for your homework/studying...which I did when the kids were in bed mostly. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I've done it for two years, and might be starting up again soon. It wasn't too too bad. For me, I was still getting into the swing of homeschooling so I was finding it hard to get things done while my oldest was working (my little guy was a toddler so that was a whole different ball park there lol). I had a lot of late nights. Looking at it now, I've kinda got a routine for myself between the two kids, and we finish right around 2 in the afternoon, and there are many opportunities for me to work on things while my daughter is working (my little guy is already done with his stuff before Jamie works on her stuff usually). 

I also found it helpful when  I was working on certain topics to incorporate them into whatever lesson we were doing that day in the same subject. My history classes for instance would get mentioned in Jamie's history lesson and we would work on something together. With my English classes, we would work on similar things. She got a much more advanced lesson, and pitifully, she was able to follow along with no issues without me having to tweak it most times. (I had pointed that out to my English professor who wasn't impressed a then 7 yr old could finish her class. Jamie might not have had the length or fancy words, but she got the point of the assignment across lol. )

I should mention too that I did online classes for myself. When my daughter was 2, I took her to the majority of my classes with me (I had made sure with the class and professor first). My Astronomy professor loved it, and Jamie has never grown tired of Astronomy since.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN