Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Fun, engaging history for a figety 8 year old?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm still looking for a fun way to teach 8 year old ds history and social studies. Right now we're using books from the library. It's going okay but I'd really like to find something more put together for him. Maybe something in a series? He's not a strong reader yet and gets bored easily, so finding a good curriculum is really a challenge!

Any ideas?

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (11-13):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this
I organize and build my own history. We read biographies and plan projects to go along with our projects. I suggest you get roll of paper and do a history mural. I did one last year and drew about everything we learned. This year we are working on a map of the US. It is 9 by 6 feet wide. Pick a part of history and just find as many books as you can on the subject. Biographies is one of the best ways to study history. Story of the world is great because you can easily add living books to it. The history pocket books are great as well. I am a book fanatic. Just go with the flow and see what projects he likes and doesn't like. Try different things. We are also doing a history journal and the trail guide to US geography.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Dec. 11, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I second this. We are studying Pompeii right now. Even my bouncy 4 year old son will listen to a chapter or 2 at a time.

Quoting usmom3:

Have you thought of using the Magic Tree House books? They have a website & teaching materials that you can put with it!

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 12:02 AM

I'm off to Barnes and Noble tomorrow :-)

Quoting debramommyof4: I second this. We are studying Pompeii right now. Even my bouncy 4 year old son will listen to a chapter or 2 at a time.

Quoting usmom3:

Have you thought of using the Magic Tree House books? They have a website & teaching materials that you can put with it!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)