Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschool News .... Homeschool Girl Missing !

Posted by   + Show Post
Special News Report...
Oct. 31, 2013

ROWAN COUNTY, N.C. —

It's been just over three months since Rowan County teenager Erica Parsons was reported missing.

State records show the teen was being homeschooled by her adoptive mother when she disappeared nearly two years ago.

There is new support among state legislators to tighten homeschooling laws.

The face that has haunted investigators, the mystery is what happened to Erica Parsons?

"Everyone that has heard about it has had their heart sink a little bit," said Democratic State Sen. Gene McLaurin.

The ranch house where Erica was last seen sits at the north end of state -- McLaurin's district.

He's followed the hunt for answers in her case, but has new questions about why it took nearly two years for anyone to report her missing.

"There has not been any real accountability for what type of education she has received," McLaurin said.

Erica's biological mother has claimed if Erica had been enrolled in public school, someone would have noticed her disappearance.

Last month, at a vigil for Erica, Carolyn Parsons called for a new law, in her daughter's name, that would tighten homeschooling restrictions in North Carolina

"That's why it's so hard to track her until this is done," she said at the time..

Channel 9 obtained records from the state department of nonpublic education, that show Casey Parsons, Erica's adoptive mother, filed a notice of intent to found the Parsons' Christian School in 2005 as a religious school for her children.

Per state laws, all Casey Parsons was required to do was submit attendance and immunization records and administer a standardized test once a year. There is no standard curriculum and state education officials said they believe that is sufficient oversight

"I would say we are a moderate state when it comes to monitoring, certainly there are some out there that have no connection with them at all," said David Mills, director with the N.C. Department of Nonpublic Education.

Mills said his department can also make an unannounced inspection at any of the state's estimated 52,000 homeschools at any time.

Mills admits those visits are rare and information obtained from state records shows the state never checked on Casey or Erica Parsons, and Mills admits there simply aren't enough resources to do it.

"Anyone can fabricate documents," said Kevin McClain with North Carolinians for Home Education.

McClain said when kids slip through the cracks, it's not because of lax laws.

He said the majority of families who belong to his organization, North Carolinians for Home Education, are teaching bright minds with bright futures

"Who knows if going to school every day would have helped Erica," McClain said.

That is a question McLaurin and the education oversight committee are investigating.

Inside the state capitol, legislative aides are working on a report about other state's homeschooling and the Department of Nonpublic Education's policies and procedures.

It's all in hopes that lessons will be learned from the girl who remains a mystery

Is the focus of this investigation on homeschooling in the wrong place?

undefined

by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Dec. 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this
That is sad. :(

Me too. I am wondering why the questioning is about the homeschooling instead of what the parents were doing, daily, with their daughter.
I hate secret agendas!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Definitely. There was a girl at ps last year whose mother physically abused her & had been to jail for it. The grandmother kept trying to get legal custody (I met both of them & grandma was a sweet person - the mom was not). It was a horrible thing to know, especially with the principal, etc., knowing too. No idea of he could have helped.

For me there are about a thousand flags raised that this girl is missing and no one is questioning her adoptive mother (maybe they are but at least here it's all about hs). Even her biological mother is questioning the hs laws instead of the family she was living with. Maybe they're all trying to refocus the direction onto hs too.

It's all super fishy IMO.

Quoting kirbymom: How about those children that are in the ps and are being abused daily and nothing is reported on those children?! It saddens me that the main focus AND concern is that this young girl was being homeschooled! Not that she is STILL missing. To me, that is wrong.

Quoting TidewaterClan: I understand that authorities would have known sooner if she had been in ps, but to me this doesn't have anything to do with hs or needing stricter hs laws. A family who doesn't report a child missing for two years has some major explaining (and/or penitentiary time) to do.

The same sort of argument could be applied to children who are too young to be in school.

I feel bad for Erica though. It's sad to think of.
TidewaterClan
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM
1 mom liked this
It was. She was even suspended once for hitting another student. Wonder where she learned that? I know the child services system is overloaded, but at that point living with her grandma should have been a strong recommendation.

Erica was only reported missing 3 months but disappeared two years ago. I'd think hs laws should be about the last thing any of those people would be worried about.

Quoting kirbymom: That is sad. :(

Me too. I am wondering why the questioning is about the homeschooling instead of what the parents were doing, daily, with their daughter.

I hate secret agendas!

Quoting TidewaterClan: Definitely. There was a girl at ps last year whose mother physically abused her & had been to jail for it. The grandmother kept trying to get legal custody (I met both of them & grandma was a sweet person - the mom was not). It was a horrible thing to know, especially with the principal, etc., knowing too. No idea of he could have helped.

For me there are about a thousand flags raised that this girl is missing and no one is questioning her adoptive mother (maybe they are but at least here it's all about hs). Even her biological mother is questioning the hs laws instead of the family she was living with. Maybe they're all trying to refocus the direction onto hs too.

It's all super fishy IMO.

Quoting kirbymom: How about those children that are in the ps and are being abused daily and nothing is reported on those children?! It saddens me that the main focus AND concern is that this young girl was being homeschooled! Not that she is STILL missing. To me, that is wrong.

Quoting TidewaterClan: I understand that authorities would have known sooner if she had been in ps, but to me this doesn't have anything to do with hs or needing stricter hs laws. A family who doesn't report a child missing for two years has some major explaining (and/or penitentiary time) to do.

The same sort of argument could be applied to children who are too young to be in school.

I feel bad for Erica though. It's sad to think of.
PinkButterfly66
by on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:24 PM
1 mom liked this

The poor girl is dead and her parents are responsible.  You don't wait 2 years to report your missing daughter, if you aren't guilty.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 11, 2013 at 7:43 PM
2 moms liked this

The politicians are using this as another way to try to control & restrict homeschoolers when this is not a homeschool issue!

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 7:24 AM
2 moms liked this

WTF? What does homeschool have to do with her disappearance?

If a ps child goes missing no one attacks the school for "failing" to recognize abuse.  

Thank goodness we have some good legal support in nc.

Point blank people want something to blame cause they can't understand the abuse/murder of a child. They can't accept the reality that monsters walk among us. And that we can't see them.  

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 7:51 AM
2 moms liked this

the media - and I'd even say everyone - wants a reason for why bad things happen. If we know the reason, and we don't do "that," then bad things can't happen to us, right?? (rhetorical)

PurpleCupcake
by on Dec. 12, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Even if they had a reason, they wouldn't be satisfied. 

There is no good reason for stuff like this. 

Quoting Chasing3:

the media - and I'd even say everyone - wants a reason for why bad things happen. If we know the reason, and we don't do "that," then bad things can't happen to us, right?? (rhetorical)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 10:48 AM

When I was teaching in Virginia a girl went missing.  The school called home after her second absence and was told she was sick.  They gathered her work and sent it home after the first week and again at the end of the second week.  At the end of the third week they called the parents again and told them that they needed to bring in a medical excuse by the next Monday or they would call the truancy officer.  No note, so they called the truancy officer.  She was backed up, so she got to them at the end of the Fourth week.  She wanted to see the child, but the child was missing.  Out went an Amber alert and all that.  They found the girl a month later living at an aunt's house in New York and RETURNED HER.  Turns out the girl had run away because of abuse.  They the truancy officer and the school could not see all those red flags and returned her to a family that beat the living Hell out of her for running away in the first place.  They were afraid of repercussions for her abuse so they did not file a missing person's report, then when given the child back they beat her for her actions.  People can be crazy!  And homeschooling, public schooling, private schooling, or any other means to an education you can think of can STILL have crazy people.  So homeschooling in this case is just a red herring. 

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

So sad! This poor girl has been missing for two years and the focus is on homeschooling? Why isn't the focus on finding out what happened, rather than playing the blame game. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Meh, I'm still a fan of once a year portfolio testing or in person test taking. Of course that won't stop abuse but it's one more barrier we can put up. *shrug*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN