Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

MY child was reading Harry Potter at two years old.

Posted by   + Show Post

I decided to try out the Magic tree house series for history for my 8yo ds. I showed it to him and he seemed interested so I'm going to run with it,lol. Finding interesting ways to teach him is a challenge to say the least. So I went on a few message boards to see what other homeschooling moms had to say and I was floored!

I don't know if my son is exceptionally dumb or everyone else has geniuses. But so many of these women are saying, "My 5 year old reads a Magic Tree House book a day just for fun." "My 4 year old reads two books a day!" "My daughter has been reading Harry potter since she was 2." And I'm like, my 8 year old is just getting comfortable with Cat in the Hat...

by on Dec. 13, 2013 at 11:38 AM
Replies (101-107):
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol! His favorite subject right now is science. If he did nothing but science for the whole school day he'd be happy,lol. And he's really good at doing math in his head. Again, he doesn't like writing it down.

Quoting Jenn8604: Oh yeah my son had the dictionary memorized by 18 mos. (Jk I'm a bragging internet mom who exaggerates just a bit). That's all it is. You're 8 yr old sounds fine. If he reads at grade level he's fine. Reading may not be his thing maybe he's ahead in math, or science, or history. Ignore bragging moms who exaggerate.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Jenn8604
by Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 12:00 PM
Science is nice. Just wait til he wants to dissect everything :) that's when the fun begins.

Quoting paganbaby:

Lol! His favorite subject right now is science. If he did nothing but science for the whole school day he'd be happy,lol. And he's really good at doing math in his head. Again, he doesn't like writing it down.

Quoting Jenn8604: Oh yeah my son had the dictionary memorized by 18 mos. (Jk I'm a bragging internet mom who exaggerates just a bit). That's all it is. You're 8 yr old sounds fine. If he reads at grade level he's fine. Reading may not be his thing maybe he's ahead in math, or science, or history. Ignore bragging moms who exaggerate.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh Lord...LOL!

Quoting Jenn8604: Science is nice. Just wait til he wants to dissect everything :) that's when the fun begins.

Quoting paganbaby:

mommyofjc.kd
by New Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:30 PM

My daughter started reading chapter books at age 2 but couldn't carry on a conversation and at age 3 was diagnosed with autism.  So sometimes you don't get the whole story! I think he is right on track. 

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Dec. 18, 2013 at 5:34 PM

That is impressive!

Quoting mommyofjc.kd:

My daughter started reading chapter books at age 2 but couldn't carry on a conversation and at age 3 was diagnosed with autism.  So sometimes you don't get the whole story! I think he is right on track. 

mommyofjc.kd
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 4:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting paganbaby:

That is impressive!

Quoting mommyofjc.kd:

I agree with what others have said, sometimes when they are excellent in one are, they lack significantly in others.  And Internet moms lie. Lol

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2013 at 11:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I know how you feel! Who are these bionic reading babies!?!?!? Those moms always make me feel like crap but then I wonder re they being honest? I have not poseted questions about reading bfore simply to avoid those kinds of replies.

My dd is 6 (7in may) and she is just getting into reading. If she reads pretty mcuh anything at all I post it on my fb to show what she did. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN